The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

When people think the law is unfair, or doesn't make sense, or is irrational, then a lot of people tend to go ahead and break it. (There's many other laws like this that people break all the time).

I disagree. I think people break laws in scenarios where repercussions are unlikely and then justify the action with statements like these. Speeding, internet piracy, Cannabis etc. It's not so much a matter of ethics as it is cowardice (self preservation).

Try driving on the island where it seems 90% of people go 10k or more BELOW the speed limit. God forbid if you need to get anywhere in a hurry, it's beyond aggravating. I wish people would drive with a sense of purpose here as they do on the lower mainland, sunday drivers are 7 days a week around here.

I've never heard anyone from the big island say they wish it was more like Vancouver in anyway whatsoever. You like the way people drive in cities...

Actually asked a cop what the realistic limit for speed is before they pull you over with radar/laser. Didn't expect an answer, but I got one:

"Not supposed to say this, but we don't even look at anyone unless they're going 20km/h more than the posted limit."

Make sense. Cops tend to pull over anyone noticable. Like fancyass cars. And anything more than that speed is 'noticeable'. So this is what I treat as the 'real' speed limit, even setting cc to it and I've yet to get ticketed since.

Did he give you that answer at the start of the month, or the end of the month? Cops are different in all areas, but that's probably pretty close - unless it's a time where they're cracking down/trying to fund their Christmas party with more tickets.

People forget that cops are drivers too. So people that drive recklessly slow, particularly in fast lanes, are more likely to be pulled over than somebody going over the limit, but 'with traffic'. So if you find yourself being passed by literally everyone on the road rather impatiently, do us all a favour and pick up your speed.

Side note: Don't treat HOV lanes like they're your own personal Sunday drive lanes. The reason they exist is to ease traffic by speeding it up, not slowing it down so you can lollygag around. Take your Sunday drives on rarely used rural lanes like normal people instead.

Driving with traffic is something a lot of people don't think about or get properly taught. If you find yourself being passed then either pick up your speed, or if you're getting passed on the right on a 2+ lane road/highway then merge to the right and slower lanes. Just because you have two or more people in your car doesn't mean you have to be in the HOV lane, which I swear is part of the reason some people are in there.

Really, if people actually used their mirrors and paid attention to drivers all around them (not just in front of them) then it'd solve a lot of traffic/driving issues. It's like walking in the mall, don't just stand arm to arm four people wide in the middle of the hall, pay attention and have respect for other people around you.

But as for speeding, it's basically been said but many roads are very safe with the current vehicles and a driver that actually pays attention at higher speeds. Highways in particular are the case for this, but then the opposite is true, where schools and parks call for lower speeds, as do narrower urban streets or streets with lots of pedestrian traffic. Choosing to ignore a few kms difference of what you and your car are actually safely capable compared to a sign on the side of the road is being much too strict.

Actually asked a cop what the realistic limit for speed is before they pull you over with radar/laser. Didn't expect an answer, but I got one:

"Not supposed to say this, but we don't even look at anyone unless they're going 20km/h more than the posted limit."

Make sense. Cops tend to pull over anyone noticable. Like fancyass cars. And anything more than that speed is 'noticeable'. So this is what I treat as the 'real' speed limit, even setting cc to it and I've yet to get ticketed since.

People forget that cops are drivers too. So people that drive recklessly slow, particularly in fast lanes, are more likely to be pulled over than somebody going over the limit, but 'with traffic'. So if you find yourself being passed by literally everyone on the road rather impatiently, do us all a favour and pick up your speed.

Side note: Don't treat HOV lanes like they're your own personal Sunday drive lanes. The reason they exist is to ease traffic by speeding it up, not slowing it down so you can lollygag around. Take your Sunday drives on rarely used rural lanes like normal people instead.

So much this.

Man you've been agreeable this week. New coffee?

Its funny, but down in the states I found it so much easier to drive and get where I was going. People there only use the left lane to pass and then get out of lane right after. On top of that I found that everyone I was driving near was driving with the flow of traffic not the "speed limit" and actually knew how to park. It was so refreshing.

The second we came back into Canada we noticed a difference in driving right away. Everyone is self centred, couldn't care less about the people around them or the flow of traffic. Everyone was just doing whatever the hell they wanted.

Its funny, but down in the states I found it so much easier to drive and get where I was going. People ther eonly use the left lane to pass and then get out of lane right after. On top of that I found that everyone I was driving near was driving with the flow of traffic not the "speed limit" and actually knew how to park. It was so refreshing.

The second we came back into Canada we noticed a difference in driving right away. Everyone is self centred, couldn't care less about the people around them or the flow of traffic. Everyone was just doing whatever the hell they wanted.

I was driving in France last summer, over there they take the 'left lane for passing' seriously. If you are in the left lane and not passing someone, they are all over you immediately. I appreciated it.

Did he give you that answer at the start of the month, or the end of the month? Cops are different in all areas, but that's probably pretty close - unless it's a time where they're cracking down/trying to fund their Christmas party with more tickets.

I don't recall, but it was on a sunny Thursday, which a lot of times looks like 'cop day' to me.

They like to ghost stop signs in my area too. Even if the stop signs are for deserted railways. What seems like a 'warning' scenario for slowing down and not stopping fully and looking both ways gets you a ticket, guaranteed. Nice.

Its funny, but down in the states I found it so much easier to drive and get where I was going. People there only use the left lane to pass and then get out of lane right after. On top of that I found that everyone I was driving near was driving with the flow of traffic not the "speed limit" and actually knew how to park. It was so refreshing.

I was driving in France last summer, over there they take the 'left lane for passing' seriously. If you are in the left lane and not passing someone, they are all over you immediately. I appreciated it.

If they simply decided to enforce the laws here driving/traffic would be SOOO much better and safer.

Ticket people blocking the left lane and driving overly fast AND overly slow (people driving scared). As well as people simply not paying attention to what's around them.

The 85th percentile people all going ~10KPH over are not the problem. They are the safe, going with the flow of traffic folks.

It's people either going too fast (20+KPH over) or people going to slow, holding up traffic, not paying attention to their surroundings etc that cause the majority of accidents. It's not "speeding" that kills, it's vehicle traveling at vastly different speeds unaware of their surroundings.

Whenever I drive 50 km/h on a road with a speed limit of 50 km/h, I'm always the slowest one on the road. Everyone is going faster than me, and they go around me to get ahead of me. Even though I am driving at the speed limit. Why does everyone speed? The law states that a ticket can be issued for going even 1 km/h over the posted speed limit, yet I see everyone going 5-10 km/h over the speed limit. The only cars I ever see driving the speed limit are student drivers. Why is that?

I a gree im always seeing people speeding and i dont get it just slow down people and use your road sense!

Here's another thing, you say you want to get somewhere faster? Well, at city speed limits and congestion and traffic lights, you more than likely won't save much time at all - so why put yourself and others at risk?

For long highway distances, your fuel economy will get worse as you go over 110 km/h...

http://lifehacker.com/does-speeding-really-get-you-there-any-faster-1556767685

Oh, I might as well throw my pet peeve here again, it's called the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane not the HS (High Speed) lane.

It's the safest lane to be in as it is farthest away from merging traffic.

Because our street limits are ridiculously low, just compare it to some places less than an hour south where city limits are 70km/hr at places and 120km/hr on the Hwy. I get 50km on highly populated pedestrian areas (like Downtown core) and the school areas but honestly I think most people have common sense on what to push the speed limit to. Don't even get me started on the stretches of HWY 1 which are 80km/hr and yet people still go 130km/hr and don't get pulled over.

That being said, there's always idiots, and always will be idiots around.

I recently visited California and noticed this too. Over there, they have many lanes, up to five or even six on the highway and noticed majority of the drivers there are better drivers than here in the Lower Mainland. When you have four, five lanes, you would think it would be tough moving into the middle lane from the left because another vehicle may also move into the middle lane from the right lane, but for them it's no problem.

Here's another thing, you say you want to get somewhere faster? Well, at city speed limits and congestion and traffic lights, you more than likely won't save much time at all - so why put yourself and others at risk?

For long highway distances, your fuel economy will get worse as you go over 110 km/h...

Oh, I might as well throw my pet peeve here again, it's called the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane not the HS (High Speed) lane.

Yes, but if traffic is flowing smoothly and you are in the HOV lane getting passed by drivers in the other lanes, get out of it regardless of the number of people in your car.

Funny, I usually notice that if I'd been going ~5kph faster than my already ~5kpk 'over', I'd actually make more lights that seem to turn yellow/red just as I'm approaching as though they're timed to do exactly that...

It's also not the SD (Sunday Drive) or the ILTPIAC (I Like To Pretend I'm A Cop) lane FWIW ;)

I don't find speed an issue but the fact people often drive up your ass especially when you have nowhere else to go such as on the freeway. If I have to slam on the breaks or reduce my speed drastically because of something in front of me occurs, then the guy riding my ass has about one second to do the exact same. Gotta keep a few cars lengths at least between you and the guy in front and behind you on the freeway.

I don't know the conversion but the speed limit itself is not the strict limit. You are allowed to go a little over it with grace.

This is incorrect. The law does not reflect this. If you go one K over, you can be done. Cops don't usually ticket speeders like that though. Each cop has their own personal discretion. It is usually 20K over the limit for their decision to write you up.

Archived