The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about the teachers strike

yawn.3x

That is inaccurate. They were willing to significantly cut down their salary demands if the government would budge on the class composition/sizes. They didn't.

It is about money, though. It's not money going directly into teacher's pockets, per se, but that's not what TOMapleLaughs said. It will cost more money to control classroom size and composition. And it will put more money into teacher's pockets in a general sense, as they'll need to hire more teachers. So it is about money, but not to be confused with a wage increase (unless, like the government, someone thinks that classroom size and composition is a "job benefit" for teachers and not something that actually improves the learning environment for students).

That is inaccurate. They were willing to significantly cut down their salary demands if the government would budge on the class composition/sizes. They didn't.

That remains to be seen, but a big part of the discussion so far has been about a 'wage freeze' since 2001. Translation: Big raise incoming. Perhaps they'd budge on the extravagant signing bonus, but at the end of the day the teachers are striking for more money and better class composition.

This is unfortunately accurate. You will likely emerge with tens of thousands in debt, and no real job to speak of. Don't think you'll make ends working as a TOC (average is $12-15,000/year), even if you are lucky enough to get hired on immediately (some do not).

Don't expect to teach in the city of your choosing. Don't expect to teach your subject area. The faster you want to get hired, the faster you'll give up on location and subject.

Three years out of the program and I still make significantly more at my "second" job. Sadly, it feels more like teaching is a hobby I'm desperately trying to hold on to. Now, the job I do have that pays well is not a job I enjoy, but it keeps a roof over my head. If you can find a secondary job that balances well with teaching, consider yourself lucky. It took me a year to get set up well with a secondary job, and that involved a lot more luck than I want to admit. The downside is, if you take a second job, it will make it much more difficult for you to accept any part-time teaching contracts that do come up, because your evenings and weekends will already be committed to your other job. Unless you don't sleep, good luck finding the time for planning, marking, contacting parents, staff meetings, etc.

My girlfriend is a teacher that is also 3 years out of university and this is pretty much her experience to a tee.

Luckily we are a double income household so it isn't a do or die type situation for her but there have definitely been more downs than ups thus far. What we did end up doing to help the situation was move into northern alberta where there is a bit more opportunity (and better pay) for those in the teaching profession.

There are definitely waaaay too many teachers out there for the amount of jobs available however. It is like swimming upstream for her trying to get interviews for permanent positions that aren't just maternity leave type spots.

The Teachers dispute is part of a bigger debate surrounding the Discrepancy between Public Sector & Private Sector workers in terms of salaries, pensions, extended healthcare and other benefits. This fall the Federal Government..... Podcast http://moneytalks.net/article-and-commentary/michael-campbell/mikes-daily-commentary/13394-the-big-battle-looming.html

Puh-leese Michael Campbell. Divide between Public and Private sector...my brother-in-law has been driving a dump truck for a private company for fewer years than I have been teaching and he makes slightly more than me.

That remains to be seen, but a big part of the discussion so far has been about a 'wage freeze' since 2001. Translation: Big raise incoming. Perhaps they'd budge on the extravagant signing bonus, but at the end of the day the teachers are striking for more money and better class composition.

In 2005 the BC Liberals offered teachers a $4500 signing bonus in-lieu of a retro-active salary increase, setting the precedent.

BC teachers have been without a contract for over 18 months. If the next contract was retro-active, any % gained in the first year and a half would continue to grow, compounding with future % increases, in perpetuity. This would be MUCH more expensive over the life of the contract, than a one-time signing bonus.

Not true at all.... the teachers are right.

Typical sheepie response. The question is why are they right? Because the government is wrong?

So, answer this, why aren't students at the negotiation table? They should be. They're involved every single time that there's a strike.

Yet, they are the ones that have zero say. You have two sides that claim to be supporting students. Taking one side is very folly.

Typical sheepie response. The question is why are they right? Because the government is wrong?

So, answer this, why aren't students at the negotiation table? They should be. They're involved every single time that there's a strike.

Yet, they are the ones that have zero say. You have two sides that claim to be supporting students. Taking one side is very folly.

I suppose if McDonalds employees go on strike you'd like to see the costumers at the negotiating table as well eh?

I suppose if McDonalds employees go on strike you'd like to see the costumers at the negotiating table as well eh?

Poor example.

Students (and in turn parents) pay taxes to fund the school system. They are financially INVESTED in the system. Students have no say. They are screwed either way because there are no other choices. It's like Bell, Telus, Rogers.

If McDonald has a strike, you go to another restaurant.

Maybe you're in favor of having a bunch of other teachers with a different union step in and do the teaching? Because only then will you have an equal situation. You'd also have some competition too. I wouldn't think that the above situation, if it even could be possible, would benefit BCTF at all.

Maybe the public education system should just be destroyed completely and have everyone pay their own way for education. Just do private school.

Poor example.

Students (and in turn parents) pay taxes to fund the school system. They are financially INVESTED in the system. Students have no say. They are screwed either way because there are no other choices. It's like Bell, Telus, Rogers.

Maybe you're in favor of having a bunch of other teachers with a different union step in and do the teaching? Because only then will you have an equal situation. You'd also have some competition too. I wouldn't think that the above situation, if it even could be possible, would benefit BCTF at all.

Maybe the public education system should just be destroyed completely and have everyone pay their own way for education. Just do private school.

Students aren't of legal age. If anyone should be at the table, it should be the parents. Of course, they are theoretically there via their democratically elected government.

Students aren't of legal age. If anyone should be at the table, it should be the parents. Of course, they are theoretically there via their democratically elected government.

Why is there a legal age for simply being a presence at the table?

You'd really be surprised at how mature Grade 6 or 7 students are. They don't have valid opinions?

Poor example.

LoL

Customers fund the service industry, they are financially invested in the system (system definitely can't survive without them)

You'd really be surprised at how mature Grade 6 or 7 students are. They don't have valid opinions?

Now I know you're high.

Basically for the same reasons that students can't vote.

LoL

Customers fund the service industry, they are financially invested in the system (system definitely can't survive without them)

Now I know you're high.

So you're saying that students are equivalent to customers. No wonder why teachers are milking this situation.

You have a whole lot more of control if you're the only players in town. As I mentioned, Telus, Rogers, Bell.

The timing of when they put up the strikes is not a coincidence. Students got screwed prior to the end of the year (graduation, universities) and early Sept.

Collateral damage? I think so.

So you're saying that students are equivalent to customers. No wonder why teachers are milking this situation.

You have a whole lot more of control if you're the only players in town. As I mentioned, Telus, Rogers, Bell.

The timing of when they put up the strikes is not a coincidence. Students got screwed prior to the end of the year (graduation, universities) and early Sept.

Collateral damage? I think so.

This is nonsense. http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/SC/14/01/2014BCSC0121cor1.htm

A little late night reading for you.

Archived