The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins will have minutes managed under Willie Desjardins

Plum

It was a clusterfack because of everyone involved, each had a hand in it. GM, Coaches and players.

That sums it up nicely. I'd actually heard (though hearsay on that one- friend of a teammate of a player type thing for that) the same thing as you about the off dressing room, in a passing comment as opposed to anything concrete or detailed. But I could definitely see it.

And as September rolls on, the GM is gone, the Coaches are gone, and some of the players have been moved on as well. We'll see how it shakes down this year. Either that or I'll find out a few more stories come April and May haha.

I agree on the depth issue but the Sedins don't need to be killing penalties, we have loads of players much better at that than them anyways

PK you need fast physical checking players, Sedin's are none of that but are simply solid defensively/aware.....that was pure stupidity from torts and his way of trying to hammer into the team that its about being a team...but you have to be smart about it too..

Disgree on Richie man. His faceoff % was 55.2% which is very high league wise. He is a terrific 4th line center and I think a much better player than that and should be on the third line, because he is a terrific shut down player.

Assuming we see the following it makes sense to have him as a 3c as he will be able to play a great shut down role and take away hard minutes from the twins and line 2.

Line 1: 18 Mins

Line 2: 16 mins

Line 3: 14 mins

Line 4: 12 mins

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burr Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson Hansen

This would be an amazing shut down line, the way old school 3rd lines use be made up - 3 hard players to play against, hard checking forwards that can also score. I am sure team's first or second lines around the league would not like having to compete against these three at once..not sure if there are many harder working NHL'ers out there than those 3 to be honest.

Matthias Vey Dorsett

Vey and Dorsett played together in the W so likely play together early, and Vey will be eased in, big winger in Matthias on the other side that can skate, has the hands to score if Vey shows he can play the set up role, and likes to hit. A group that can also reliably take up 10-12 mins a game.

This deployment is the goal, but the question is if we're stretching some guys. It's a long season, so I hope we insert some youth here and there to get the energy levels back up. Otherwise we're going to start getting banged-up later on in the year. Our division and travel is probably the most physically-draining in the league.

Canucks:
Top offensive forward pairing: Sedins: 16 es mins/g, Henrik & Daniel 1 sh mins/g, both 3 pp mins/g. Fair, but need more PK from Henrik.
Top checking pairing: Higgins & Hansen. 14 es mins/g, both 2 sh mins/g, both 1 pp mins/g. Need a center here instead of two wingers.
Secondary offense pairing: Bonino & Vrbata. Vrbata 14 es mins/g, 2 pp mins/g Bonino 12 es mins/g 2 pp mins/g 1 pk mins/g. Bonino is going to be stretched in this role.
Third player on top line: Burrows. 13 es mins/g, 2 pk mins/g. Fine as long as the old scoring touch is found again.
Third player on top checking line: Matthias 12 es mins/g, 2 pk mins/g. Might be a stretch for Shawn. But he'll have to thrive.
Third player on secondary offense line: Jensen 11 es mins/g, able to fill in for pp when needed. Or Kassian. It will be a battle.
Secondary checking pairing: Richardson & Dorsett 10 es mins/g ea. Richardson 2 sh mins/g. Dorsett is a stretch to put on special teams. Not horrible, as long as Richardson is a 4th line option all season long, but he'll likely swap duties with Matthias.
Third player on secondary checking line: Vey and whoever's losing the Kassian/Jensen battle 8 mins/g. Could be worse.
Losing Kesler hurts the PK. Matthias and Richardson will be stretched to fill the void. Henrik is an option, but isn't used too much. And there's Bonino, who is another option. We'll have to spread the duties, like as has been pointed out often by coaching and management.
Overall the team could use more defensive expertise and a few players are going to be asked to do too much. The result, unless the minutes are carefully managed and we avoid injuries, is that the Sedins will be overworked, and we need to prevent that at all costs.

This deployment is the goal, but the question is if we're stretching some guys. It's a long season, so I hope we insert some youth here and there to get the energy levels back up. Otherwise we're going to start getting banged-up later on in the year. Our division and travel is probably the most physically-draining in the league.

Canucks:
Top offensive forward pairing: Sedins: 16 es mins/g, Henrik & Daniel 1 sh mins/g, both 3 pp mins/g. Fair, but need more PK from Henrik.
Top checking pairing: Higgins & Hansen. 14 es mins/g, both 2 sh mins/g, both 1 pp mins/g. Need a center here instead of two wingers.
Secondary offense pairing: Bonino & Vrbata. Vrbata 14 es mins/g, 2 pp mins/g Bonino 12 es mins/g 2 pp mins/g 1 pk mins/g. Bonino is going to be stretched in this role.
Third player on top line: Burrows. 13 es mins/g, 2 pk mins/g. Fine as long as the old scoring touch is found again.
Third player on top checking line: Matthias 12 es mins/g, 2 pk mins/g. Might be a stretch for Shawn. But he'll have to thrive.
Third player on secondary offense line: Jensen 11 es mins/g, able to fill in for pp when needed. Or Kassian. It will be a battle.
Secondary checking pairing: Richardson & Dorsett 10 es mins/g ea. Richardson 2 sh mins/g. Dorsett is a stretch to put on special teams. Not horrible, as long as Richardson is a 4th line option all season long, but he'll likely swap duties with Matthias.
Third player on secondary checking line: Vey and whoever's losing the Kassian/Jensen battle 8 mins/g. Could be worse.
Losing Kesler hurts the PK. Matthias and Richardson will be stretched to fill the void. Henrik is an option, but isn't used too much. And there's Bonino, who is another option. We'll have to spread the duties, like as has been pointed out often by coaching and management.
Overall the team could use more defensive expertise and a few players are going to be asked to do too much. The result, unless the minutes are carefully managed and we avoid injuries, is that the Sedins will be overworked, and we need to prevent that at all costs.

I am sure we will see our share of Jensen, Shinkaruk, Corrado if injuries necessitate. And never know a few of em could steal a spot...

If I was a betting man I'd actually bet we see one of Jensen and Shinkaruk stick and Horvat get his 9 games and go back. Jensen and Shinkaruk bring something sorely lacking from our lineup....pure offensive instincts/goal scoring.

If Daniel can't provide the 35+ which I think is the case now - I see him really as a 25g/35a player now (hope I am wrong) then really all we have is:

Vrbata,

Burr on the second with a hope to bounce back to 20-25 (but also w new linemates in Kass/Bonino)

Kass with the hope he can start potting some more, but he's a pass first guy.

With one those two in the lineup, it adds alot of flexibility and depth ...but has to be top 2 lines.

My dream lineup would be

Shinkaruk/Jensen Henrik Vrbata

Daniel Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson Burrows

Matthias Vey Hansen / Dorsett

Lol at the people who think the brawl night against Calgary is where the wheels fell off for this team. It's as if they don't even remember the back to back home games against the Lightning and Flyers. Another mind-numbing mentality for those who feel better telling themselves that the blame falls entirely on Torts...

Coaches like Torts don't belong in the NHL anymore and I'm glad he's gone, but to say that the blame falls entirely on Torts rather than just partially on Torts + the drama, the staleness and the lack of depth, you're either in complete denial or so oblivious that you should be deemed unfit for mainstream society.

Finally, no more overworking (and injuring) the Twins. Hopefully Bones can gel with the play drivers that are Burr/ Higgins and Kass on the 2nd line and they'd be able to drive possession into the offensive zone before letting the Twins and Redeemer do their stuff. Actually come to think of it we actually have 3 solid pairs of play-driving wingers (Danny - Verbatim, Burr - Kass and Higgins - Hansen) so if our centers not named Sedin can do their best in pushing play toward the offensive zone we could actually do quite well in terms of depth.

Twins - Verbatim (heavy lifters offensively, can take tough match-ups)

Burr - Bones* - Kass (wingers can push play and they can become a secondary scoring unit against weaker comp)

Higgins - Matthias - Vey
(Higgins can drive play, can Shawn and Vey? If so they can become another offensive line vs. weaker comp)

Hansen - Rich - Dorsett (line used to handling tough minutes, probably won't get beaten in their own zone too much)

I like your 3rd and 4th line but id switch that 3rd line to Vey centering Higgins amd Matthias on the wings, Matthias did pretty well there when he was moved & Vey was really good centering Toffoki and Pearson often driving the play. I like that 4th line of hansen n dorsett between Jason Richardson, that is a pretty solid 4th line. Hansen can go back to honey badger mode and bring that extra hustle we all know he is capable of.

After spending more than two decades attempting to become an NHL head coach, and with training camp in Whistler, B.C., two weeks away, he is vowing not to change his style behind the bench.
"One thing I learned is, you've gotta be who you are," said Desjardins, 57, the new Canucks coach, after taking part in a Vancouver Board of Trade luncheon Tuesday. "You can't be somebody you're not. (Otherwise), it just falls apart on you."
LOL, sounds exactly like Torts.

Lol at the people who think the brawl night against Calgary is where the wheels fell off for this team. It's as if they don't even remember the back to back home games against the Lightning and Flyers. Another mind-numbing mentality for those who feel better telling themselves that the blame falls entirely on Torts...

Coaches like Torts don't belong in the NHL anymore and I'm glad he's gone, but to say that the blame falls entirely on Torts rather than just partially on Torts + the drama, the staleness and the lack of depth, you're either in complete denial or so oblivious that you should be deemed unfit for mainstream society.

I think the Calgary game was Torts blowing a gasket after watching the wheels fall off his lineup during the road trip from hell. He just lost Santo. The Sedins were hurting a bit. And they were just smoked by the SoCal and even lost to Phoenix (who hurt Henrik and put Santo out).

Torts overworked his vets for sure, but it's not like he had a choice.

Manage minutes tends to suggest he'll be limiting their play overall, but in this case it's that he'll use them more appropriately. That doesn't necessarily mean super slanted O-zone starts like with AV, but definitely means not giving them big minutes in situations like the PK that can be played equally well by our bottom 6 players to better share ice time.

the entire management right on through the coaching and players are all at fault for last seasons debockle.

the new gm has made the moves for this team, which appears to be quite a bit deeper.

new coach is a puck controll coach, and motivational through positivity and life challenges, rather than discipline through embarasment. roll 4 lines rather than ride your horses... should produce more team cohesiveness, and keep the top players fresh.

subtraction of kesler may actually benefit the team as a group. not doubting keslers ability and contribution, but after watching him for years, kesler is about kesler. on and off the ice. having a 2C that thinks more about "using his wingers" may indeed increase team productivity.

all in all, i am far more optimisitic about this years squad than i was last years squad, which was a playoff team by most educated guesses going into last season. this group gets to fly under the radar again.

two main factors have to be addressed if this team is to make the playoffs, and they are closely related.

1. PP production. - Enter Radim Vrbata and Nick Bonino. Both these players have enjoyed recent success on the PP, and can hopefully rejuvinate what used to be one of the most feared power plays in the league.

2. Secondary scoring. - Burrows, Kassian, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Vey, Matthias.... Can this group chip in enough to support the primary scorers? How bout the defence group that used to be amongst the league leaders in offensive production?

Other than that, I feel this team is strong enough in goal, on defence, on the PK.... adn is even much improved in the SO, where both Ryan Miller and Radim Vrbata have had much success. If they can get the PP and total offense into the top half of the league, we'll be playoff bound.

"We talked about maybe there wasn't the depth that we needed to counter those injuries going into that last stretch of the year," said Benning.

I'm glad he acknowledges this. Shows he is empirical and impartial.

Why, they could have used this line of thinking after injuries plagued them in the 2011 playoffs and SCF.

Archived