The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article on the Prospects Tourney .... Someone's bitter?

nuck luck

So the Vancouver Canucks are sending a couple NHL players to their upcoming Young Starsprospects tournament.

They must really want to win this not-so-coveted trophy in front of a scattering of fans in Penticton. That, or they aren’t big believers in Nicklas Jensen and Frankie Corrado’s potential to play in the big league this season.

Technically, they are both still eligible for this showcase because they have played fewer than 100 regular-season games as a professional. That doesn’t mean they necessarily belong there.

Jensen finished last season on Vancouver’s top line with the Sedins, for crying out loud.

And Corrado was good enough to be in the lineup for 4 playoff games two years ago when the Canucks were still considered an elite team and Stanley Cup contenders.

These guys have no business playing in a tournament typically reserved for recently drafted prospects with little or no pro experience.

A first-round pick in the 2011 draft, Jensen has played no fewer than 99 regular-season games and has suited up for two playoff games to boot, bringing his pro total to 101. That includes 19 NHL games, 17 of them coming this past spring alongside Henrik and Daniel.

Corrado has even more NHL games on his resume, a combined 22 from the previous regime under former coaches Alain Vigneault and John Tortorella, including 15 regular-season games in 2013-14. He’s played 84 regular-season games plus six playoff contests for a grand pro total of 90 after being selected in the fifth round of the 2011 draft.

Despite only being 21 years old, they both made their pro debuts back in 2011-12 and have both played in two prior Young Stars tournaments. This would actually be their fourth if the lockouthadn’t cancelled the 2012 edition.

They will most likely be the only two players in this year’s tournament with both those distinctions. About a dozen others spread over four rosters will also be appearing in their third Young Stars, but they didn’t make their pro debuts until more recently and the majority have yet to play in the NHL.

Jensen should be in a league of his own, a man among boys in Penticton.

No forwards there will boast near his level of credentials.

The Calgary Flames aren’t sending Sven Baertschi, a soon-to-be 22-year-old with 51 games of NHL experience but only 26 last year.

The Winnipeg Jets won’t be dressing Eric O’Dell, a 24-year-old who made his NHL debut this past season by playing in 30 games.

The Edmonton Oilers will be without Tyler Pitlick, who is turning 23 in November and also got his feet wet with 10 NHL games in 2013-14.

Those guys have all outgrown the Young Stars.

Frand-Corrado-520x650.jpg

(Anne-Marie Sorvin-USA TODAY Sports)
Frankie Corrado will be the most experienced defenceman, having played the most NHL games of any prospect in this year’s Young Stars tournament.

As for Corrado, the two closest comparables in terms of defencemen attending this year’s tournament will likely be Calgary’s Tyler Wotherspoon (21 with 14 games) and Edmonton’s Oscar Klefbom (21 with 17 games). They are the same age as Corrado, and Wotherspoon has also played in every tournament dating to 2011, but they are both coming off their first season of professional hockey (in North America with regards to Klefbom).

In contrast, Corrado has been around the pro game for three seasons already, getting his first taste by playing 6 AHL games in 2011-12, followed by 7 NHL games, including the aforementioned 4 playoff contests, and 3 additional AHL games in 2012-13 after graduating from the OHL.

He’s essentially a veteran, along the lines of Edmonton’s Martin Marincin, who is 22 with 44 NHL games, all from 2013-14.

Imagine the outrage if the Oilers were to send an established pro like that to dominate against primarily junior players. Or if Calgary sent Baertschi to put on a scoring clinic.

So why should Corrado and Jensen get free passes? They shouldn’t, and the Canucks should be scrutinized for this decision. Whoever asked these guys to lace them up — reports indicate they didn’t volunteer — should face criticism, defended by a technicality or not.

Vancouver will justify it as an evaluation tool following an off-season full of off-ice changes. This tournament will give the new staff members — most notably, president Trevor Linden, general manager Jim Benning and head coach Willie Desjardins — a first-hand look at two of the franchise’s most seasoned prospects, but Penticton isn’t the place for that.

They have nothing left to prove at the Young Stars, and there would have been plenty of opportunity to observe their development in training camp and pre-season games against fellow pros for the most part.

Another theory is that Jensen was asked to play because Jake Virtanen, this year’s sixth overall pick with a similar skill-set, is expected to miss the tournament while still recovering from shoulder surgery.

Jensen more than fills that void and should light it up playing with another trio of first-round forwards in Bo Horvat (9th in 2013), Hunter Shinkaruk (24th in 2013) and Jared McCann (24th in 2014).

Corrado’s inclusion might have something to do with positional depth, as the Canucks are noticeably thin on the back end. But it’s not the competition’s fault that the Canucks are lacking in good defence prospects and would appear weak without Corrado on the roster.

Now he’ll probably end up being a tournament “all-star” and Vancouver fans will come away claiming Corrado’s better than Darnell Nurse (Edmonton) or Josh Morrissey (Winnipeg Jets), a pair of 19-year-olds with much higher upside albeit not as polished at this point in their careers.

Funny thing is, Corrado probably won’t stand out over somebody like Brenden Kichton (Winnipeg), a 22-year-old blue-liner who put up solid AHL numbers during his pro debut last year. Or possibly Dillon Simpson (Edmonton), a 21-year-old NCAA grad out of the University ofNorth Dakota.

Corrado could also have his hands full with the opposing forwards.

Calgary projects to be the most dangerous with Johnny Gaudreau, Sam Bennett and Morgan Klimchuk. Winnipeg has weapons such as Nikolaj Ehlers, Nic Petan and Scott Kosmachuk. Edmonton might bring up the rear again this year, but Leon Draisaitl, Bogdan Yakimov and Greg Chase are expected to lead the way up front.

Vancouver’s forwards will be no slouch and getting those guys the puck, while also quarterbacking the power play, will be Corrado — rightly or wrongly.

If this tournament was held outside British Columbia, it’s fair to wonder whether Jensen and Corrado would still be involved. Are they going to Penticton to sell tickets and help put butts in the seats? Perhaps.

However, if the reasoning for their presence has more to do with winning, then that’s just wrong.

Thoughts on this article?

Just saw this quote from Shink... I love the confidence :)

#Canucks Shinkaruk on Penticton tourney: 'I expect to be one of the best players in the tournament if not the best' Jeff Paterson (@patersonjeff) September 9, 2014

I can't remember the article, but I've read that there's been a few prospects practicing with the Canucks this summer...can anyone confirm if Shink was part of the group? Just thought he might have gained some confidence playing with them

I can understand the writer's point of view. Corrado and Jensen are NHL ready and they have got little to prove in a tournament like this. Maybe the Canucks could have given their spots to two players who could have benefited more from this. I don't know why you are jumping to the conclusion that the writer is "bitter" when he is objectively trying to criticize a decision.

The writer can quit belly-aching.... I'm glad they're letting 'em play.

It will get this fan-base uber-excited for the future, after what was an abysmal year,... and also show Canucks' fans around the province & elsewhere, exactly what this team now has in store for them when its' current veteran-core retires out. The Canucks are hosting this thing, right? Its' the exact time to assess future lines or pairings by comparing their talent levels & the chemistry they may already have with one another..then discussing in what ways it best serves the players & the team to grow those familiarities. The assessment may affect where the team chooses to park a player for development, decide upon expendable assets...or even how the team will be managing their contractual obligations.

This is practically a mean-nothin' tournament, anyway,... except for the purposes of hyping & promoting prospect players on the cusp of becoming NHLers. It's also relevent that this tournament is in the Canucks' backyard..but not in the Lower Mainland. This is the perfect op to build a more comprehensive team profile for all of our coaching-staff members, new & old. The decision here, is a sound one. If I were Corrado or Jensen, I'd be pretty stoked & not at all disappointed to be getting extra time to impress my coaches,... be they behind the bench or just sitting in the stands. Corrado & Jensen may be putting a few extra butts in those seats, too but there's absolutely nothin' wrong with that. Hockey is game...but it's also a business.

I can understand the writer's point of view. Corrado and Jensen are NHL ready and they have got little to prove in a tournament like this. Maybe the Canucks could have given their spots to two players who could have benefited more from this. I don't know why you are jumping to the conclusion that the writer is "bitter" when he is objectively trying to criticize a decision.

I wouldn't call it "objective"....the players from the other teams (that the writer used as an example) are not going to the tournament because they're ineligible to play. They ALL exceed the amount of pro games allowed which is 100 (not including Playoff games).... Jensen is close, but still at 99.

The poster below yours also had some valid points... We're gonna have to wait, at least, a year to see some of these players play with each other against skilled opponents. And I wouldn't mind seeing Bo and Jensen playing on the same line....

Great post. He does criticize it, but for every criticism he makes, he offers a counter-point. Given that they're technically eligible to be there, I'm all for it. If Calgary loses and says, "well, we could've sent Baertschi", then why didn't they? A tournament like this should be as competitive (and therefore entertaining) as it gets. A bunch of kids wanting to make their mark. Bring on the best under the rules!

if winning isn't important, as this writer seems to imply, why would he care if the canucks send their most seasoned prospects?

both corrado and jensen are far from locks to make the nhl roster. the canucks are merely taking every opportunity to evaluate where they're at and giving them chances to show their stuff.

Not very thought out article at all. It's sickening that people can always find the "negative" in things, where is the positivity? the tournament is a prospects tournament and in my book, both Jensen and Corrado are clearly still prospects. Why would it hurt them or anyone else if they attended a camp designed for players like them?

Just saw this quote from Shink... I love the confidence :)

#Canucks Shinkaruk on Penticton tourney: 'I expect to be one of the best players in the tournament if not the best' Jeff Paterson (@patersonjeff) September 9, 2014

I can't remember the article, but I've read that there's been a few prospects practicing with the Canucks this summer...can anyone confirm if Shink was part of the group? Just thought he might have gained some confidence playing with them

Hunter Shinkaruk, Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce and Dane Fox in informal workouts at Britannia Arena with the big club.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+prospect+Horvat+primed+rookie+showcase/10182966/story.html#ixzz3D0kXGeAC

Canucks are hosting the tourney, why would they not send all their young players. Non issue, hopefully they do spank all the other teams.

Great post. He does criticize it, but for every criticism he makes, he offers a counter-point. Given that they're technically eligible to be there, I'm all for it. If Calgary loses and says, "well, we could've sent Baertschi", then why didn't they? A tournament like this should be as competitive (and therefore entertaining) as it gets. A bunch of kids wanting to make their mark. Bring on the best under the rules!

Maybe they don't want Baertschi 'exposed'? .. :lol:

who wrote this article? where was it posted?

The Calgary Flames aren’t sending Sven Baertschi, because he has 124 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

The Winnipeg Jets won’t be dressing Eric O’Dell,because he has 173 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

The Edmonton Oilers will be without Tyler Pitlick, because he has 155 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

Corrado has 84 professional games, and Jensen has 99, both are under the limit and eligible. why wouldn't they participate. you know damn well those other teams would send those guys if they could.

Archived