The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article on the Prospects Tourney .... Someone's bitter?

nuck luck

What if they get injured? It's not worth the risk tbh.

There are young guys out there trying to make a name for themselves and they're not on the ice to play hockey.

I believe Hodgson opted to skip it one year to focus on the main camp. These two should have done the same.

I see your point on the "what if's"....what is they step off a sidewalk and get hit by a car, a la Suave?

They are prospects....late prospects mind you, but still prospects. Both listed in top 20 lists in a few places and pool magazines.

Not too sure who's spots they are robbing but ppl need to get over things like this. Not like we sending Markstrom or Vey.

This simply to kickstart an evaluation process, get these guys playing and in their "zones". Come pre-season when they show they stepped up and belong...this might be worth it.

Or this could also kickstart the chemistry process for the Utica bound dudes since a few will certainly be expected to shine WHEN eventually sent down

Exactly this. With new management particularly they'll want to look at players and they aren't doing anything so egregious. Maybe if the writer of the article from a site I've never been to or heard of (I assume it's "thehockeywriters" since no link was provided) gave us names of players the Canucks should have sent, then he may have an argument.

But it's a poorly written piece, full of contradictions, so I won't worry about it.

Or this.

I went and looked based on the links in the article (despite no link for the article itself) on thehockeywriters.com and it appears to be this one: http://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-jensen-corrado-no-longer-young-stars/

It's written by a guy who writes for the Kelowna Courier, but he certainly could stand to fact check things a lot better.

He didn't forget, he mentioned their NHL games. He clearly doesn't understand the criteria or is purposefully misleading readers to support his point. The first comments at the article itself all point out how he's incorrect on the basis of his argument.

purposely misleading

Those 2 guys are fighting for jobs, it will be very easy for someone else to pluck it, this year there are no guarantees and both can end up in the minors.

We should let the guys compete against the others who are trying to take their jobs, it's only fair to compare apples and apples.

They are eligible so they should play. Suggesting at anytime that the development curve for the

participating orgs would coincide is a stretch. There can easily be wide talent swings. Suggesting that Corrado and Jensen are NHLers is a stretch.

Van has all new management. I suggest they want to see as much hockey out of their prospects as

possible. From a development prospective having all the prospects play a tournament together is

excellent. Building relationships now pays off later. The idea that Van can graduate more prospects

from their own development org should excite Van fans greatly. Exciting for the players as well.

They could get injured any time they step on the ice. Hell look at taylor hall in warmups...

Injury is a risk management and coaching staff have to deal with no matter what. What if Horvat is injured in Penticton? What if Gaunce broke his ankle on the Grouse Grind a few months ago?

I see your point on the "what if's"....what is they step off a sidewalk and get hit by a car, a la Suave?

They are prospects....late prospects mind you, but still prospects. Both listed in top 20 lists in a few places and pool magazines.

Not too sure who's spots they are robbing but ppl need to get over things like this. Not like we sending Markstrom or Vey.

This simply to kickstart an evaluation process, get these guys playing and in their "zones". Come pre-season when they show they stepped up and belong...this might be worth it.

Or this could also kickstart the chemistry process for the Utica bound dudes since a few will certainly be expected to shine WHEN eventually sent down

Your points that a player could get injured anywhere is true, but it doesn't make my point wrong.

The first example of Taylor Hall's injury in warm-up - a warm-up is a necessary part of preparation for the game. Taylor and all players have to take part in it, so whatever risk that comes with it, you live with it.

The second example of Sauve's car accident - again you can't prevent players from walking across the street. Injuries in everyday life are a risk that everyone has.

The key difference between these examples and my concern for Jensen and Corrado is that the Young Stars Tournament is not a necessity. I do not think it's a necessity because Jensen and Corrado are pro players who will be going up against mostly junior players. They don't need to prove themselves against these guys - they need to prove themselves against NHL veterans.

I just feel that Jensen and Corrado's time could be better spent practicing with the Canucks veterans instead of playing in a prospects tournament. Obviously, the risk of a freak injury is still existent at a practice, but you weigh the pros and cons - practicing with the NHLers to be one of them is worth the small chance of a freak accident at practice - participating with (mostly) junior prospects at a prospects tournament where some are literally fighting and knocking guys out for contracts has little benefit for either players who are already professionals looking for NHL gigs.

As for Horvat, this is only his second time participating, and he's still a junior player. He has to prove that he is above his competition at this tournament.

In terms of professional games played, one could easily make the argument that the Canucks YoungStars roster is actually one of the least experienced groups in the tourney.

Vancouver's players have a grand total of 299 pro games, the vast majority of which coming from three players: Blain (107), Corrado (88), and Jensen (101).

Winnipeg has 317 pro games, including three players with over 70 games. Edmonton and Calgary chose not to list "pro games" on their official rosters (wonder why?).

Most of the teams are bringing one goalie with at least 30 professional starts to their credit. The Canucks are going with two unsigned/undrafted 1995-born WHL netminders.

If you really want to question whether or not a team is staying true to the spirit of this "prospects tournament," look no further than the Calgary Flames. Their roster includes the following:

David Wolf: Standing 6'3" and weighing in at 225lbs, Wolf will actually be celebrating his 25th birthday in Penticton. He's a 5-year veteran of professional hockey in Germany's top men's league (with 274 games played in the DEL). According to several articles released in the past 48 hours, he's going to be playing in the tournament (even though he's not listed on some of the roster pages).

Joni Ortio: 23-year-old goaltender who had 9 games with the Flames last season. His North America professional total is 64 games. He's also played an additional 73 games in the SM-Liiga (Finland's top professional league).

Markus Granlund: 21-year-old centre with 63 games of North American pro (including 7 with the Flames in 2013-14) and another 107 pro games in the SM-Liiga.

Turner Elson: Another guy who'll be blowing out birthday candles during the tourney (he'll be turning 22). 79 professional games (AHL and ECHL).

Josh Jooris: 24-year-old defenseman who played 74 games last season with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat.

John Ramage: 23-year-old defenseman with 76 professional games (AHL and ECHL).

And the Flames are also bringing a handful of other players (most of them coming off their first year of pro) who each have a sprinkling of professional games played.

But the Canucks, with their pair of 21-year-olds (Jensen and Corrado--since the writer doesn't seem to care about Jeremie Blain) are the ones who aren't playing fair? :sadno:

EDIT: spelling and typos

Your points that a player could get injured anywhere is true, but it doesn't make my point wrong.

The first example of Taylor Hall's injury in warm-up - a warm-up is a necessary part of preparation for the game. Taylor and all players have to take part in it, so whatever risk that comes with it, you live with it.

The second example of Sauve's car accident - again you can't prevent players from walking across the street. Injuries in everyday life are a risk that everyone has.

The key difference between these examples and my concern for Jensen and Corrado is that the Young Stars Tournament is not a necessity. I do not think it's a necessity because Jensen and Corrado are pro players who will be going up against mostly junior players. They don't need to prove themselves against these guys - they need to prove themselves against NHL veterans.

I just feel that Jensen and Corrado's time could be better spent practicing with the Canucks veterans instead of playing in a prospects tournament. Obviously, the risk of a freak injury is still existent at a practice, but you weigh the pros and cons - practicing with the NHLers to be one of them is worth the small chance of a freak accident at practice - participating with (mostly) junior prospects at a prospects tournament where some are literally fighting and knocking guys out for contracts has little benefit for either players who are already professionals looking for NHL gigs.

What if the players get hurt by a freak accident having scrimmages against Canucks own NHL players. Guess they shouldn't do that because it's unnecessary risk. Injuries can happen at any time but I'm sure management has decided that it's better for these players to get a few extra minutes of competitive play before the season starts. They are trying to make an NHL team just like every other player at the tournament.

Plus it's probably good for them to be around players they are going to grow up with. You have to remember that these guys are all a part of Canucks future and the more time the can spend playing together and being around each other the better.

What I really like about this is that both Jensen and Corrado can lead by example for those that hope to make the club(as JeJester and many have stated) and both Jensen and Corrado will realise that they have to work harder because of the mass of talent nipping at their heels.

While you're not wrong, neither is he as you point out. It's more development and a chance for management to get a longer look at them without forcing it in training camp.

As far as Taylor, he was doing the pre game skate without a helmet, so that's certainly unnecessary risk. Walking across the street, the players at the Young Stars are more likely to be travelling in groups and on buses than they would if they were making their own way around town in Vancouver (or at home if they weren't coming until later), so maybe there's some truth to it being better for safety in that regard too.

There's points for both sides, but most will agree it's a good thing despite any risk.

What if the players get hurt by a freak accident having scrimmages against Canucks own NHL players. Guess they shouldn't do that because it's unnecessary risk. Injuries can happen at any time but I'm sure management has decided that it's better for these players to get a few extra minutes of competitive play before the season starts. They are trying to make an NHL team just like every other player at the tournament.

Plus it's probably good for them to be around players they are going to grow up with. You have to remember that these guys are all a part of Canucks future and the more time the can spend playing together and being around each other the better.

I mention the risk in my post. Read before you quote.

While you're not wrong, neither is he as you point out. It's more development and a chance for management to get a longer look at them without forcing it in training camp.

As far as Taylor, he was doing the pre game skate without a helmet, so that's certainly unnecessary risk. Walking across the street, the players at the Young Stars are more likely to be travelling in groups and on buses than they would if they were making their own way around town in Vancouver (or at home if they weren't coming until later), so maybe there's some truth to it being better for safety in that regard too.

There's points for both sides, but most will agree it's a good thing despite any risk.

Yeah, I guess it's personal preference.

Actually he's from Saskatchewan. Worked in Edmonton in his early years and has attended a community college.

Can't seem to load the comments on my phone or I would call him out though at your request.

Is it you Mr. Toews? Are you Larry fisher?

No I am not Larry Fisher lol.

I think it makes sense that the new management and coaching staff wants to get a look at some of the more experienced prospects in a competitive environment before training camp.

To the people that brought up Taylor Hall as an example, was this before the rookie year? It would make sense that they brought him to the tournament as he hadn't played a single game of pro. I don't think that is a valid counter argument to the writer's premise.

I mention the risk in my post. Read before you quote.

Yeah, I guess it's personal preference.

It's your point about injury risk that holds no argument. A player can get hurt anywhere so why keep then from playing competitive games that have just as much risk and more development/ scouting value over light practice with pros that has little development or scouting value.

The OP's article is basically trying to make a fuss out of nothing...The reason that Jensen and Corrado are playing in this tournament is because the new administration has not really seen them play..Simple as that..!

Interesting to note that Benning and Willie will both be in attendance at this tourney watching their prospects...Neither Gillis or Torts went to last years.

As for Horvat, this is only his second time participating, and he's still a junior player. He has to prove that he is above his competition at this tournament.

I see what you are saying and no offence but you are startin to sound like a worrying puss.

These 2 are gonna lace up their skates, put on their jock strap to protect their fortitude and go out their and not worry about injuries or "what-ifs".

I get the sense that you think this is a tryout for a midget house team, that they will just breeeeeeze thru everything. Maybe they do, maybe they dont. This is a development camp and a tourney and the pace is gonna be grueling. There WILL be inte sity. They are playing against fresh draft picks, and various semi-pros.

They are gonna man-up and play without fear of injuries or playing against goons or whatever. They are still in a stage where they qualify to be there and by golly...thats where their bosses want them.

After that, they will join the main camp and continue to play...but they will be the much better due to having a few games under their legs.

Quit worrying

Like Burke used to say....if they dont like this rough stuff or fear of injuries....go play tennis

WTF?

What a pointless rant.

First he says Corrado is too good to be there, but then goes on to say that Simpson (21), and Kitchon (22), are just as good. So what does it matter if Corrado played some NHL games over the last couple seasons? He's still a prospect and could very likely be in Utica this season.

This guy sounds way too sensitive. If the tournament doesn't matter, then who cares who the Canucks send? They're well within their rights to send both guys. He sounds like a Flames fan who's just bitter that the Canucks have basically done just as much to rebuild as the flames have in the last two seasons.

And he says the Flames could send Baertcshi to put on a scoring clinic. Lol. He had an average season in the AHL. He's far from the point of being able to dominate younger players. I wish they did send him.

Simply the start of hockey season and 'hate the nucks' articles... this one, the one in the globe about "Canucks Hubris"....

haters gonna hate...the media trolls love when we're down so they pile on...

In this case, from the 'tone' of the article, his bashing of Corrado later etc, pretty clear he has a hate on for the nucks as do his readers so it gets him some preseason candy from his audience...get them excited to hate the nucks! they'll read right?

As for the point there are many reasons why those players are there

1. Jensen did not finish the season on a line w the Sedins, he played 5 games there mainly with Burr...and ended up on the third line and needs to work on his defense. If we look at our lineup he clearly isn't guaranteed to be in the NHL

2. Same for Corrado, he has been an injury call up and barely got ice with Torts

From Benning's perspective, seeing more of them in game situations will help his decision, its a smart move. Yes, if they are ready they should show it vs these prospects, they should lead (but also help lead in the room, help the rookies understand how to prepare etc...its actually also about those little things, even though its a short tourney).

Then if they play well in main camp, Benning has an accruate view of them...one thing this bashing writer seems to forget, Benning doesn't know any of these players, has seen very little of them other than probably a bit of video...

From Benning's perspective, seeing more game action from his young players that may be pushing for a spot gives him more info to base his final roster decisions on...it makes absolute sense to me

and mr article writer it ain't about winning some stupid tourney lol...butthurt fool

WTF?

What a pointless rant.

First he says Corrado is too good to be there, but then goes on to say that Simpson (21), and Kitchon (22), are just as good. So what does it matter if Corrado played some NHL games over the last couple seasons? He's still a prospect and could very likely be in Utica this season.

This guy sounds way too sensitive. If the tournament doesn't matter, then who cares who the Canucks send? They're well within their rights to send both guys. He sounds like a Flames fan who's just bitter that the Canucks have basically done just as much to rebuild as the flames have in the last two seasons.

And he says the Flames could send Baertcshi to out on a scoring clinic. Lol. He had an average season in the AHL last season. He's far from the point of being able to dominate younger players. I wish they did send him.

they couldn't send Baertcshi if they wanted to, he's played over 120 professional games

Archived