The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Why'd Jordan Subban get sent down?

There was no way he was going to make the team. We are deep on defence and they have to start working on pairs and the system, not give a young kid more ice time that won't make the cut. The rest of the players will be cut when they are no longer needed, the contract states that the vets can only play so many pre season games, so they need to have enough bodies to play the fill in.

Stars develop in the nhl....the Canucks have gotten good at developing busts & Fringe players in the last 10 years. When was the last time this organization developed a first liner???

I don't agree that the best way to develop is to groom players into their mid 20s, to only have a meaningful 3-5 years

Kids who have the potential to be stars don't develop to be a star if they are rushed into the NHL. If they are not ready, they need to develop more in a lower league until they can prove they are ready to play in the NHL.

Shinkaruk is not ready. Horvat might be, but we'll have to see.

Nobody is saying we need to groom our players until they're in their mid 20s - people are saying we develop our players until they are ready to play in the NHL - whether that is at age 18 or age 26.

Feels like a trade is coming. We have too many guys that can be 3rd or 4th line guys plus young players who need experience and to learn at the NHL level.

A trade will definitely happen in the next week or so.

No way we carry three goalies, and Hansen making 2.5 mil on the fourth line is unlikely when we have other options.

Look for Benning to try and take advantage of teams needing to dump a D-man.

They're are less roster spots now that there are no more split squad games. I think they now want to see guys that have a legitimate chance of making the team and probably don't want Bonino, Sbisa, or Vrbata to sit out. As the pre-season goes on the team will look more and more like the team at the beginning of the regular season. They most likely want to get some of the vets to develop some chemistry so they can hit the ground running. I do believe Horvat will make the team and Shinkaruk and Jensen will be sent down to the AHL.

I don't understand these cuts, especially Subban and Cassels.

What's the point of keeping them then? To play one game? Cassels was our best 2013 draftee in the young stars and pre-season last year IMO but now he gets cut..

Camp is more than just pre-season games.

That's not how development works

Tell me how it works then? Every year just send players back to junior where they have already proven themselves, which is why they get drafted and that will help get them ready for the NHL?

Don't know what it is about Canuck fans, all the they think is players need to keep playing in junior to develop. While other teams get their prospects in the lineup.

Nichushkin is getting ready for his 2nd season on a top line with Benn and Seguin after a solid rookie season and Horvat is still just trying to crack our lineup...And some of you think he should go waste another year in junior. If he is not good enough or ready now, then he will be just another typical Canuck draft pick. And I could guarantee that if we had drafted Nichushkin, he wouldn't have played last season and still be trying to make the lineup this year, as everyone would be saying he is not ready

The jump from junior to the NHL will always be huge no matter how many seasons you play at a junior level

People need to calm down about Subban. Sure he scored a goal, but he still needs alot of work defensively.

We have a brand new coach who hasn't coached a single game in the NHL. Today's moves tell me they want the lineup finalized ASAP so the team can work on Willie's systems and special teams.

Archived