The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Ya Kenins has kind of been the forgotten guy here but could be a nice surprise given he's played in the KHL, had a great olympics, he's likely ready and may actually be the guy that steals that one spot

My guess is Linden and Benning haven't talked about him because they really don't know of him, will be interesting to watch him for sure!

Its a toss up if Kenins is 6.4 or 6.0 he is listed as both on various sites,,seems to me watching him play he looked taller than 6.0 but then who knows...Kenins has played all his hockey in the Swiss A and B leagues,,hasnt played in the KHL.

We have enough depth in Goaltender that even signing one up for Kalamazoo is unlikely.

That said, I think the tourney was a success, because we got a look at a few players that might make the team, even if it is just the AHL for now.

I know, it was a knock on the prior regime.

Not sure how the one position that literally has little to no use for depth is our strongest position when our wings and blue line depth is so meager.

Its a toss up if Kenins is 6.4 or 6.0 he is listed as both on various sites,,seems to me watching him play he looked taller than 6.0 but then who knows...Kenins has played all his hockey in the Swiss A and B leagues,,hasnt played in the KHL.

They were both typos.

He's 4'6". Plays way bigger than he is. :)

Awesome! I thought that there were only going to be two making it originally, but this makes me glad because all three of these guys deserve it :) I was worried that they were going to cut Lotz for a second because of all the goals Calgary scored yesterday, even though it wasn't at all his fault.

Always good to see more competition at main camp.

Green was actually interviewed yesterday and said 3 would be going through. It's on the Canucks front page. Happy for all of them. They all outshone a lot of Canucks prospects.

No surprises there, which is good.

Looking forward to seeing the pre-season games and getting a better idea of where we really stand this season and how our baby 'Nucks stack up against some NHLers. It's gotta be better than that painful effort (after the first period) last night, right?

im not saying he deserves a contract or a camp invite or even hat he has skill. But dont underestimate the effectiveness of a good fighter. You saying he did nothing and that fighting is a non-plus skill is waaaay off.

Were you paying attention to the Edmonton game? When did momentum shift and our comeback start? Like right after he tuned the Edmonton player up.

There's still very little space within the organization for his type of player. The big club has Dorsett and Sestito right now who can throw 'em, and the Comets have DeFazio (he's not a goon really, but he'll fight). There's no sense in having another grinder-fighter player taking up a roster spot on either club.

I thought Liberati would make the main camp, but not really any surprises here.

I think Valk will play a couple of exhibition games with the team and then will be signed by Utica for this season. He had a good tournament.

Having the Canucks own their farm team gives them some really good options to sign players under that team and not immediately impact their normal NHL contract cap.

Benning said Valk is thee one name that stood out the most for him thus far so I expect to see him awhile longer, possibly even an exhibition game or two if Benning really likes what he sees.

Whistle was a headache to watch. I don't think he will make Kalamazoo

For those heavily criticizing our prospects at this tournament like ti meant something. Please do look at that list and ask how we matched up against teams full of draftees or who have seen NHL/AHL action?

Shocked Wilson was cut as was said he was energetic not a liability at all and stood up for his team like nobody since Ripper has. Also shame that Whistle got cut as well, he was left out to dry against the jets and only had the 1 bad goal. But I guess when the Gillis era leaves you with depth at only the goaltending position it doesn't make sense to bring in another one

Considering they haven't cut Lotz yet apparently, it didn't make sense to keep both on.

Awesome! I thought that there were only going to be two making it originally, but this makes me glad because all three of these guys deserve it :) I was worried that they were going to cut Lotz for a second because of all the goals Calgary scored yesterday, even though it wasn't at all his fault.

Always good to see more competition at main camp.

I did see the Benning comment that if Cassels couldn't make camp then there'd be two open spots, but an early look at three isn't a stretch. There'll be some quick cuts I'd think anyway so we'll see who makes it past.

There's still very little space within the organization for his type of player. The big club has Dorsett and Sestito right now who can throw 'em, and the Comets have DeFazio (he's not a goon really, but he'll fight). There's no sense in having another grinder-fighter player taking up a roster spot on either club.

Even more than DeFazio, the Comets have Lain and Archibald as Canucks prospects who are big and tough. Patrick Kennedy is an AHL-only signing for the Comets as well who can play a gritty, checking style.

For those heavily criticizing our prospects at this tournament like ti meant something. Please do look at that list and ask how we matched up against teams full of draftees or who have seen NHL/AHL action?

Shocked Wilson was cut as was said he was energetic not a liability at all and stood up for his team like nobody since Ripper has. Also shame that Whistle got cut as well, he was left out to dry against the jets and only had the 1 bad goal. But I guess when the Gillis era leaves you with depth at only the goaltending position it doesn't make sense to bring in another one

Shocked wouldn't be the word in this case. Wilson isn't a diamond in the rough, he isn't a promising offensive threat, he is a guy that might become a 4th line call up to the NHL. No point in keeping players like that around when the organization has plenty of players that fill that role already. Lain, Zalewski, Mallet, Archibald, Kennedy (AHL contract) etc. all fill that role well already. If I had the choice of keeping any 3 of Humphries, Wilson, Lotz, and Valk around for camp, I would take Humphries, Lotz and Valk any day of the week.

People saying that we have too much depth at goal are plain and simply wrong. Eriksson is likely to leave the organization either through a trade to another team or returning back to Europe after this season or the next, as I see no future for him on the Canucks with Lack and Markstrom already here. Lotz would be splitting time in Kalamazoo with Cannata if Markstrom plays in the AHL. Goalies take longer to develop and from what I've seen from him in Everett and this camp I would like to see what hes like in a few years, can only become better. Really wouldn't hurt if this guy got a "hand-shake" type of deal with the Canucks where he signs an AHL deal and gets loaned to the Kalamazoo Wings for the season. Or is he eligible to return to Everett for another season?

Valk should be playing for the Comets next season. He's shown in the WHL and this camp that he has the talent. Love the way the guy has played and for a small guy he uses his size very efficiently. Showed that he had some chemistry with guys that are playing on Utica next year as well.

Jeffrey - O'Reilly - Jensen

Shinkaruk - Valk - Fox

Zalewski - Gaunce - Grenier

De Fazio - Lain - Archibald

Kenins - Friesen - Mallet

That is a very solid forward group right there. Is cassels also available for Utica?

Archived