The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins expected to hit 70 points again with radim vrbata s help

Guest Cuporbust2

Guest Cuporbust2

There is an interesting article about how these years off season moves for us brought up the value of the Sedins this year on nhl.com s iPhone app. If I wasn't on my phone I'd post the link .

Talks about vrbata and how good a fit he should be for them in comparison to the multitude of wingers they tried with them last year. Also , the new coach has a much better style for them to adapt to.

radim vrbata is a true sniper and has amazing hockey IQ.

I think we are in much better shape then some may think.

What are Ur point total expectations for the twins this year ?

I never thought that this team needed a complete overhaul or years to "rebuild." They still have good players, but holding on to fan favourites or players from the core of 2011 wasn't necessarily the way to go. Kesler going to the Ducks may help them a bit. There's new faces on the roster and behind the bench, such changes may be enough to make them a better team.

I don't know if the Sedins are still as good as the Sedins of the back to back Art Ross troph years, but I don't think they're done being leading scorers on a team either. Last year was a crappy year for so many players. Burrows' year was just terrible, there was absolutely no chemistry, let alone a solid "top line" to call upon to score the big goals. I think the Canucks chances this year depend on whether Daniel and Henrik can elevate their games to the level we all know they can play.

If the Sedins have a good year, the team will have a good year. Last year was a diaster, hopefully it being as embarassingly bad as it was, pushes the twins to have a solid year.

Guest Cuporbust2

I never thought that this team needed a complete overhaul or years to "rebuild." They still have good players, but holding on to fan favourites or players from the core of 2011 wasn't necessarily the way to go. Kesler going to the Ducks may help them a bit. There's new faces on the roster and behind the bench, such changes may be enough to make them a better team.

I don't know if the Sedins are still as good as the Sedins of the back to back Art Ross troph years, but I don't think they're done being leading scorers on a team either. Last year was a crappy year for so many players. Burrows' year was just terrible, there was absolutely no chemistry, let alone a solid "top line" to call upon to score the big goals. I think the Canucks chances this year depend on whether Daniel and Henrik can elevate their games to the level we all know they can play.

If the Sedins have a good year, the team will have a good year. Last year was a diaster, hopefully it being as embarassingly bad as it was, pushes the twins to have a solid year.

I agree. We forget about the minutes they were playing, their injures, the lack of a true finisher last year, extr.

This team has true potential. One of the biggest differences IMO is the lack of a good puck moving d man. When we went to game seven, most of our plays started with guys like Erhofff moving the puck for us through the nutral zone. We need to pay more attention to that IMO. Other than that, I think we are in great shape.

'Amazing Hockey IQ' = Being able to find spots of open ice and wait for passes from guys digging in the trenches.

The problem is that the Sedins, as our only significant option up front for offense, are facing top checking units game after game after game and are being worn down as the rest of our offense isn't regarded as a legit threat and the lack of a speedy pmd doesn't add another vital element to the Sedins' attack.

This trend has been going on for quite awhile and it became quite apparent last season after division re-alignment combined with the improvement of the west as a whole and we no longer faced against weak NW division opponents for the purposes of racking up points. Also, Torts boldly claimed they were tough players that could withstand this type of pressure for a full season and that approach ultimately broke them last year.

Will the trend reverse because we acquired Vrbata? I'm not sure. He's not a trenches-type guy, so it will be up to the Sedins to do the bulk of the work on the line. On the power play, Vrbata's not a net presense either, along with the Sedins, and to have an effective power play that element is key. We have other options perhaps, but it remains to be seen how it plays out.

I think the Sedin heyday is over, but they might be able to get back to 70pt players again if they just remain healthy. I think they need a trenches-type guy to take the pressure off of them on the boards. Really, that means the real Alex Burrows has to come back more than anything. Then Vrbata will be with Bonino. Also, we need a real pmd. But with the Sedin window coming to a close regardless, it might be time to start focusing on what the next core will be.

Will the trend reverse because we acquired Vrbata? I'm not sure. He's not a trenches-type guy, so it will be up to the Sedins to do the bulk of the work on the line. On the power play, Vrbata's not a net presense either, along with the Sedins, and to have an effective power play that element is key. We have other options perhaps, but it remains to be seen how it plays out.

I think the Sedin heyday is over, but they might be able to get back to 70pt players again if they just remain healthy. I think they need a trenches-type guy to take the pressure off of them on the boards. Really, that means the real Alex Burrows has to come back more than anything. Then Vrbata will be with Bonino. Also, we need a real pmd. But with the Sedin window coming to a close regardless, it might be time to start focusing on what the next core will be.

For the power play, I see them setting it up with 4 forwards, with Kassian being the 4th forward who will be the net presence. That gives us a lot of options. For example, we have Henrik on the wall as the QB, if he gets in trouble, Kassian goes to help along the boards, or be that "trenches" guy you talk about. Vrbata is set up across from Henrik for the one-timer. Edler is the defenseman that stays on the line. Daniel will be given the green light to set up wherever he pleases - he can be at the blue line with Edler or he can sneak down for a give and go pass play, etc.

As for even-strength, we'll have to see how Vrbata works. The Sedins need a "trenches" guy to retrieve pucks on dump ins. However, if we aim to carry the puck in with smart passing and speed (something Vrbata has is that he can gain zones by carrying the puck), then it may not be a problem for the Sedins to play with a guy like Vrbata. They always work along the boards anyways so I don't see Vrbata setting up for the shot to be an issue once the zone is gained.

Guest Cuporbust2

'Amazing Hockey IQ' = Being able to find spots of open ice and wait for passes from guys digging in the trenches.

The problem is that the Sedins, as our only significant option up front for offense, are facing top checking units game after game after game and are being worn down as the rest of our offense isn't regarded as a legit threat and the lack of a speedy pmd doesn't add another vital element to the Sedins' attack.

This trend has been going on for quite awhile and it became quite apparent last season after division re-alignment combined with the improvement of the west as a whole and we no longer faced against weak NW division opponents for the purposes of racking up points. Also, Torts boldly claimed they were tough players that could withstand this type of pressure for a full season and that approach ultimately broke them last year.

No the problem was they were playing 20 minutes a game. They have been playing against top lines for years. They have never depended on their speed , so that being affected by age is not really the issue IMO. The issue was playing them too much and having them stand on front of top nhl d men s slap shots every game on the pk. Also, they were so dam run down from all those minutes , playing against the top lines became an issue because of that. I don't want to see then stand in front of shots on the pk. That's not what they should be here for.

Their strength is their playmaking ability. That doesn't go downhill with age. They needed someone who can find those open spots and actually find the the net once they get the puck , not hit the goaltender in the crest and think its great they got a shot on net.

Even though they can pk, they are not here for that. They are here to put up points and be defensively responsible. They need to save them for that role.

How many games u think they were injured from blocking shots and didn't say anything ? U don't put aging offensive stars in front of a guy like Shea webber blocking shots after playing them for that many Minutes. It's retarded.

Torts was a HORRIBLE coach here.

The Sedins have faced first line pressures for years.

With four lines being rolled out the twins will be selectively placed into offensive situations that allow them to succeed.

Vrbata provides the opposition with an additional,legitimate offensive threat.

Hoping that Burr,Bonino and Kassian have big years and step into their roles effectively.

Imagine a GM and President that understand the twins and will help them out ? What a concept.

HA 70pts??? Did you see the chances they had but Dany just missed wide or a lucky bounce here or there. Plus the ridiculous minutes they were playing AWAY from the net.

These guys are going to be deployed properly and will easily be point/game players. I'd say Danny at the lowest would be 78 points, with Henrik at least 85.

For the power play, I see them setting it up with 4 forwards, with Kassian being the 4th forward who will be the net presence. That gives us a lot of options. For example, we have Henrik on the wall as the QB, if he gets in trouble, Kassian goes to help along the boards, or be that "trenches" guy you talk about. Vrbata is set up across from Henrik for the one-timer. Edler is the defenseman that stays on the line. Daniel will be given the green light to set up wherever he pleases - he can be at the blue line with Edler or he can sneak down for a give and go pass play, etc.

As for even-strength, we'll have to see how Vrbata works. The Sedins need a "trenches" guy to retrieve pucks on dump ins. However, if we aim to carry the puck in with smart passing and speed (something Vrbata has is that he can gain zones by carrying the puck), then it may not be a problem for the Sedins to play with a guy like Vrbata. They always work along the boards anyways so I don't see Vrbata setting up for the shot to be an issue once the zone is gained.

I don't think Kassian should be the net presence, he plays better off the half wall, he's got great vision. He should run the 2nd pp imo.

I don't think Kassian should be the net presence, he plays better off the half wall, he's got great vision. He should run the 2nd pp imo.

That's for Bonino or Vey I think. He's our big body now that Kesler's gone.

With running 4 lines for the first time in year, the sedins wont get worn out. I like the idea of them starting in the offensive zone and having one of Vey, Bonino and Richardson starting in our zone. Vrbata will be a great fit with them. I see the sedins getting 70 points for sure and Vrbata getting around 60

I'm over season by season stats with the sedins. With 4 years left I've decided to look at their cumulative point totals for these next seasons as whether or not they are successful or not.

If both get the canucks an additional 250 points each over the next 4 seasons I will consider these contracts a huge success.

That said I am looking forward to the Vrbata experiment.

Kassian would be the main net presense option for sure if not Burrows or even Matthias, but i'm not sure if he'll see that opportunity just yet. The guy missing from this equation is Bonino, who was brought in party for 'power play ability', but likely won't see top power play time here. Without a pmd or even a big shot on the blue line anymore, i'm not expecting a huge improvement, if any.

Big Willy D has his work cut out for him getting a Sedin-Vrbata line against weaker competition, as has been mentioned by him and Benning. The other lines probably aren't going to light it up with any regularity, so that means when we're down a goal, we're going to have to put out the twins more often than not.

I don't think you've been paying attention the past decade or so. The Sedins always draw the oppositions top shutdown players and they win more board battles than they lose. They don't really need somebody to win board battles with them. They need a RW that can put the puck in the net. A second scoring threat is what's really needed. Something they never had last year with Burrows injury riddled season.

When a few players drop in production you can put it down to decline. When virtually everybody on the team has a sharp drop in production it's more likely a coaching problem.

Archived