The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Canucks discussing Horvat trade?

Toews

Here's the thing.

Kassian needs to help us win more than 1 game against California teams this year. Thats the litmus test. Hell, we were not able to match Phoenix physically. Within our division, we could not hold our turf. Its where we need a big physical presence that can also play hockey. We need a guy who is as feared in the corners as he is coming back to the net with the puck. Like he was against Toronto and some of the games early on. Like he provided the last 3rd of the year. As I pointed out before you ranted. Its not like he was a leader that stepped up and showed everyone how to do it when it counted.

This year when it counts?

Here's the 2knd thing.

We sure as hell better not trade Horvat for someone we have to wait 3 years for.

Just stop - give it up, and move on.

Your precious is already -4, no points in 3 games, and demoted from the top 6.

How many years later and the delusion still persists that Hodgson was somehow ready to drive an NHL bus when he was traded. Fantasy.

We've waited 3 years, ironically, Surfer, and the baseline myth that your story rests upon has been exposed. Time to let go of that myth. Buffalo is still waiting.

Kassian has been here the whole time. Those of you 'waiting' on him are oblivious - to where the departed is himself - and where a young player should be at these points of their career.

The vast majority of even elite young players take time. Get used to it.

Just stop - give it up, and move on.

Your precious is already -4, no points in 3 games, and demoted from the top 6.

How many years later and the delusion still persists that Hodgson was somehow ready to drive an NHL bus when he was traded. Fantasy.

We've waited 3 years, ironically, Surfer, and the baseline myth that your story rests upon has been exposed. Time to let go of that myth. Buffalo is still waiting.

Kassian has been here the whole time. Those of you 'waiting' on him are oblivious - to where the departed is himself - and where a young player should be at these points of their career.

The vast majority of even elite young players take time. Get used to it.

I moved on a year and a half a go. Made no comment on Hodgson aside from acknowledging he has yet to move past being soft in his career. In this thread. Its you who brought up Kassian. Its you who now brings up Hodgson again. Hodgson has nothing to do with anything anymore. I want Kassian to be a guy who helps us win as much as anybody.

I make a comment on MG and I'm badgered relentlessly by a guy who see's himself as Kassian's guardian angel.

I'll repeat my assessment of last year. Kassian started on on our 3rd line last year and was bumped to the 4th due to inconsistencies in his game. He played some games last year early that were encouraging; one in LA, a cpl against St Lou, the game against Toronto and a few more where he was a major factor. Positively. He was in the heads of Edmonton as well. But there were also a fair number of games where he was a passenger. Which led to his inconsistency and being demoted. Watching guys go into puck battles was his primary bad habit, not finishing checks another. He also got caught up in Tortsgate about the time of our losing streak. At that time he was no physical deterrent. In fact got goaded into misconducts trying to be. He took those misconducts and disappeared during our losing streak. Perhaps trying to avoid more bad penalties that hurt the team. But you call that disciplined? While we played against the big teams he was supposed to help us match up against. Through it all he always did show glimpses of his puck skills and speed. I have never (not once) argued he wasn't a talent. Nor was he a turnover machine or poor position player. 2/3rds of the way his compete level picked up and he put his game together. Not coincidentally, as he started winning more and more puck battles, pinning bodies against the board, fighting in front of the net, skating harder... His line started clicking. The last 2/3rds of the year we saw the guy we always wanted & it was exciting.

I think that is fair?

It remains fair that we did not win a lot of games on the back of his good play. Hopefully he can bring that game we saw late in the year consistently. It will help us be a better team.

I moved on a year and a half a go. Made no comment on Hodgson aside from acknowledging he has yet to move past being soft in his career. In this thread. Its you who brought up Kassian. Its you who now brings up Hodgson again. Hodgson has nothing to do with anything anymore. I want Kassian to be a guy who helps us win as much as anybody.

Honestly didn't get beyond this, and can't be bothered.

"We sure as hell better not trade Horvat for someone we have to wait 3 years for."

You certainly did bring Hodgson up - if not, what was that comment in the context of a Kassian discussion alleged to refer to?

In any event, I said what I have to say on the matter and am done.

Horvat isn't going anywhere anyhow.

Honestly its a little suspicious that they want to keep horvat up so much. He isn't going to change the dynamic of the team and vey fits the 3rd line center role just fine. Some very good players have been sent back so there is no reason that horvat can't. Who knows they might actually be close to a trade and the team that is getting him want to decide if he gets sent down or not. Not saying thats whats up but you never know.

Just so you know. We are not trading Horvat in the next 5 years so give it a rest.

Unlikely we trade him, yes I agree, but to say we won't trade him for the next five years, is a stretch. Basically said the same thing about Hodgson. 5 years is a long time in today's NHL. Other highly touted prospect/player were traded within five/six years of their draft : Seguin, Schenn, Kessel, Hodgson, the Johnsons, Jordan Staal.

Honestly its a little suspicious that they want to keep horvat up so much. He isn't going to change the dynamic of the team and vey fits the 3rd line center role just fine. Some very good players have been sent back so there is no reason that horvat can't. Who knows they might actually be close to a trade and the team that is getting him want to decide if he gets sent down or not. Not saying thats whats up but you never know.

Very, very unlikely, big trade like that usually happens at the draft of trade deadline (and sometimes after Christmas). Highly doubt we (and any other teams giving us valuable assets back) would make such a move right now.

No team is out of the playoff yet, no coach is really in danger, there's really no point in making a blockbuster at this time.

I never had high expectations of him (he is a 3rd line centre most likely with a shot at being a 2nd line centre) and I am not overly against him being traded if we get a good return. We have some quantity of assets (veterans and prospects) that we could trade in order to get an excellent player.

Horvat is in tough for a roster spot in the foreseeable future. Kind of in the Hodgson situation (I was probably the first person here that suggested Hodgson would get traded).

Benning has brought in Vey and Bonino, he has also described his admiration for Matthias who he said he tried to trade for before. Add in Sedin and the only C spot open for the next few years would be on the 4th line. Gaunce and/or Lain is probably a better fit there than Horvat.

Even if you think Horvat is a couple years away from being a 2nd or 3rd liner entering the league, where does he fit? You can convert him to wing, but a centre on the trade market is probably a more valuable asset than a a guy converted to winger in your organization.

We have a need for a top 6 winger, preferably LW and a physical RD. If we can get one of those in return, then go wild.

It might be a good idea, if there is something decent on the table.

The odds of Bo achieving above the level his skating will allow are slim.

He will be a good bottom 6 defensive forward, and we better trade him before the secret is out.

I disagree with you on both counts. I don't see anything suspicious whatsoever about the fact Horvat is on the roster - he's one of the rare types that can handle the defensive side of the game and bottom six assignments - as well as win faceoffs - from the get-go. How you conclude that he won't change the dynamic of the team I don't know.

I also disagree that Vey fits the 3C role just fine. First of all, Richardson fits that role just fine, Vey not so much. Vey may be fine defensively in his awareness and positioning, but he gives up 15 or more pounds on Horvat, and he's 37.5% in the faceoff circle against (not the strongest qoc in) Calgary and Edmonton, wasn't very good throughout the preseason, and will be a work in progress in that sense. I think it makes more sense to move Vey to wing - in Horvat's absence he was back at C, and that makes sense, but I'd think that having guys like Matthias and Vey on the wing is advantageous, even if they'll need time to adjust.

It might be a good idea, if there is something decent on the table.

The odds of Bo achieving above the level his skating will allow are slim.

He will be a good bottom 6 defensive forward, and we better trade him before the secret is out.

Yeah, it's a good thing Malhotra got injured before anyone found out that he was ONLY a good bottom 6 center. Guy was never going to be a 2nd line center, so he's really not worth much.

No not suspicious at all.. Keeping Bo allows us to play Vey in other situations while still giving them both decent minutes. Keep in mind, the kid has proven everything he can at the junior level. 3rd line minutes won't hurt his development.

Weren't you the guy whining that Jensen and Shinkaruk got sent down because they're "Both Better than Burrows".

Archived