The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat should be a lock for 3rd line centre

Outsiders

No chance on Richie, I have no idea how fans don't comprehend what that guy brings to the table.

Lack of hockey knowledge I guess....Vey who knows as none of us have seen him play but at this point there are no prospects who are 'better' than any of our vets or even close enough to warrant taking a spot.

Only guy that might be on the bubble vet wise is Hansen as we have many of the same type of player there. Higgins, Him, Matthias, Richie etc...and of that group, he is the most expendible as each of the others has a unique trait they bring to the team (Higgins and Hansen are effectively the same but Higgy is more physical, Matthias is bigger, and Richie is amazing in the circle and a great defensive player himself)....

So if any spot opens its 3w, and that's assuming Vey shows he's ready.

Partly agree with you. I wrote the response with skepticism to the OP as I don't think Horvat is ready to outplay Richardson and probably not even Vey.

I do agree that Horvat won't be able to do the intangible things that Richardson does now as he is not at the same compete level as Richardson; a difference between a season vet who know what it takes versus a kid full of potential but not yet refined.

But I don't know exactly what you mean by "how fans don't comprehend what that guy (Richardson) brings to the table." What does he bring to the table that is so hard to replace? I mean, I get that he is a great fourh line center and probably a very good thid line center who wins faceoffs and has grit. But why is that so hard to replace? You talk as if though he is on par with Crosby or Stamkos! Do you mean that he is hard to replace because such a good 4th line center doesn't come at good cap hit like RIchardson?

Let's face it. Richardson matched up with any of LA's centers will be over matched 8, 9 out of 10 times. I like Richardson but do you really think he is that great?

Also, I don't think Horvat can take Hansen's job either. One, Benning in his recent interview with Bob MacKenzie said he thinks of Horvat as a centerman and did not show much interest in trying him on the wing. Two, Hansen is a great utility player with high end speed, which this team does not have much of anymore. Just as Richardson brings things that cannot easily be replaced by Horvat, so does Hansen.

The only way I see Horvat making the team is if Horvat shows that his skillset and physicality is superior to these guys to more than make up for what these veterans bring to the table. Realistically, I don't think he can do that this training camp but I don't think we should rule out the possibility that he just physically and skiilwise dominates for example, Richardson.

Given the opportunity, maybe Horvat will be able to learn enough over the course of a season to evenly match aginst LA's centers whereas with RIchardson, we know he will be overmatched most of the times.

Whats really impressed me from watching the young stars tournament is how well he understands defence. He's like having another defenceman out there. He comes all the way back every shift, gets into position and blocks shooting lanes , while Jensen and Shinkaruk just waited for the puck to come to them. He is knows where to be in every situation in his own zone. He digs out pucks and then gets it to his wingers fast so they can go on offence.

People saying he doesn't have an offensive game don't get that Horvat's offensive game is different than others, and what i mean by that is people say "whats Horvat done he's got no points". Horvat may not get as many points compared to Shinkaruk but he develops the play into a scoring chances. He creates chances for other players and they don't miss. he may not get an assist on the play but he set up the play to develop into a solid scoring chance. And what i mean is he thinks the game so well. He knows when he gives the other player the puck what they're gonna do with it. #Boknows

He will translate into the NHL so well because of his defence and his good defence turns into offence something the canucks as a team couldn't do while under Torts. They couldn't play strong tight defence and then have a good offensive game. Horvat has this he plays great defence which leads to his offence .Now he may not get a point on every play but he contributed to the goal in some way..

Higgins-Horvat-Vey/Hansen to start the season

if d-zone coverage is the measuring stick, then he is behind Gaunce, not ahead of him.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Who would he replace in your mind?

Henrik

Bonino

Matthias

Vey

Richardson

H. SEDIN

BONINO

HORVAT

RICHARDSON

MATTHIAS

VEY

VIRTANEN

I think Matthias will have to have an amazing camp and push beyond what he has done so far in this league. Otherwise I think he'll get moved.

Great size, great skills, no killer instinct. Instead if fighting for his spot, rookies took his job every year when he was in Florida.

Last year a MATTHIAS - RICHARDSON - KASSIAN line was beginning to light it up. However, I suspect Bonino will center the second line and Richardson, with et ta 3C or 4C.

It doesn't leave much room for Matthias to navigate, especially if Shinkaruk and/or Horvat makes the team, or a player like Kane and/or Johansen is brought in.

H. SEDIN

BONINO

HORVAT

RICHARDSON

MATTHIAS

VEY

VIRTANEN

I think Matthias will have to have an amazing camp and push beyond what he has done so far in this league. Otherwise I think he'll get moved.

Great size, great skills, no killer instinct. Instead if fighting for his spot, rookies took his job every year when he was in Florida.

Last year a MATTHIAS - RICHARDSON - KASSIAN line was beginning to light it up. However, I suspect Bonino will center the second line and Richardson, with et ta 3C or 4C.

It doesn't leave much room for Matthias to navigate, especially if Shinkaruk and/or Horvat makes the team, or a player like Kane and/or Johansen is brought in.

LOL well at least that explains somewhat how your depth chart has Horvat at #3...

I've watched Horvat with both hope and expectations, but I've seen nothing to see the chnace of this guy ( picked 9th over all by trading away Schneider ) to make me think he will become an impact player in the NHL. I can't think of any players on the current roster who bring less than this guy. This is not kindergarten. if he's the second choice for a role than he goes back to junior. I want the team to win not baby sit. Shinkaruk looks more primed for the big's

I wonder when realism witl arrive for the Vcr fans, all this time self promoting all these "great" prospects when they come head to head with other players in the same category...does this tourney give some perspective to what we have

I've watched Horvat with both hope and expectations, but I've seen nothing to see the chnace of this guy ( picked 9th over all by trading away Schneider ) to make me think he will become an impact player in the NHL. I can't think of any players on the current roster who bring less than this guy. This is not kindergarten. if he's the second choice for a role than he goes back to junior. I want the team to win not baby sit. Shinkaruk looks more primed for the big's

I wonder when realism witl arrive for the Vcr fans, all this time self promoting all these "great" prospects when they come head to head with other players in the same category...does this tourney give some perspective to what we have

This young stars tournament is nothing but a glorified pond hockey scrimmage. You can take as much out of this as you can in the all-star game. Players like Gaudreau, Petan, and Shinkaruk eat this type of hockey. Canucks fans should know by now that these early tournament show’s very little to give fans perspective on the type of player we have, remember Shirokov and Fedor Fedorov. There is very little coaching that goes on in these games as they mean very little. How much PP, PK, or inzone break out practice has the team had together. How can players by into a system when there isn’t one in place. Flash isn’t what wins hockey games, smart hockey does and that’s exactly what Bo brings. So realistically this tournament provides nothing more than a skills comp.

i noticed how the guys with the skill are rising to the occasion.

Bo reminds me of a young Kesler-great on the draws but his offensive game is not there yet.

Kesler played a full season in the AHL at 20 years of age.

Like another poster stated,Gaunce is defensively more reactive/responsible than Bo has shown.

Early days but no time for snoozing with upper management watching each game.

The only thing Bo is a lock for...

is going to main camp and playing a couple pre-season games.

The rest is up to what he does at camp and in those couple pre-season games. If he beats out a veteran - NHL. If he doesn't - OHL.

The only thing Bo is a lock for...

is going to main camp and playing a couple pre-season games.

The rest is up to what he does at camp and in those couple pre-season games. If he beats out a veteran - NHL. If he doesn't - OHL.

That anyone is calling roster spots (or busts) for any players after these two prospect shinny games is frightening IMO.

Archived