The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat should be a lock for 3rd line centre

Outsiders

LOL veteran guys already losing roster spots to prospects left and right before even playing a game.

Classic.

My comment was more an "eventuality" than a: "da BO is taKKKKIIng HiggenZZZ spot out of teh CAMP".

Simply stating that when the time comes to move a vet for ANY prospect, trade etc that my money is on Higgins being odd man out.

My comment was more an "eventuality" than a: "da BO is taKKKKIIng HiggenZZZ spot out of teh CAMP".

Simply stating that when the time comes to move a vet for ANY prospect, trade etc that my money is on Higgins being odd man out.

We have some UFAs coming up. I'm not too concerned.

Of course, knowing Benning, he'll fill those right away via free agency to make Bo force the team to make room for him once he's ready.

both Benning and Desardins have raved about Vey.....

benning mentioned he has proven himself in the AHL.....was the driving force between the Toffeli,Vey ,Pearson line

and he thinks he will be a good 3rd line center now and a very good 2nd center in 2 yrs

so I wouldnt shortchange any Vey experment......too soon...also Vey has to clear waivers

Honestly, if Benning moves anyone, my money's on Higgins.

Matthias can easily slide in to his spot on 3rd LW, he actually had a decent season and hence has higher trade value and we have no lack of depth on LW.

I'm not sure why everyone has Mathias on the wing. I'd very much like to see one big C-man with some grit in this lineup.

I'd like to see the TOI and turnover stats from the tournament since this is what the Horvat "haters" or people critical of his recent play are basing their opinions on. Watching the games it appeared as though he was coasting and didn't make much happen on the ice, but his positioning was very good and he was able to pick off or deflect a lot of passes in all areas which lead to goals, possession and scoring chances.

The fact that Green gave everyone a chance and let the bottom lines of mostly player tryouts play equal minutes is a big reason we didn't have any wins in the tournament. With the exception of Valk who played on the 2nd line for the most part and Gaunce who centered the 3rd line, none of the players given PTO's in the bottom six are getting an invite to main camp.

I don't see Horvat as a lock to make 3rd line center, but given his positional play, his ability to win draws and defense first mentality, he should be able to push Vey and Matthias for the 3rd line center position. With Matthias on his left and Vey on his right you could see 3 center men on a line with good defensive ability that could also chip in offensively.

I'm willing to take a shot with Horvat, which would make Sestito the odd man out. Unless the "hockey hobo" can impress during the pre-season, I don't see how you can leave a skilled player like Horvat off the roster. With the way that the NHL is trying to phase out the goonery and the way the Canucks are trying to inject youth, I think Horvat is best served by playing for the Canucks this year.

add gaunce to that list because he looked more pro ready than Horvat did. However, cards are on the table now, we'll see what both are made of.

If Horvat and Gaunce are both able to play in the NHL, I'd expect Horvat ahead of Gaunce since Gaunce can go to the AHL.

Actually, both of them. So, if Horvat was to start on the third line for the Canucks, the likely lines would be:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Leaving Hansen and Sestito both out.

these are the lines id love to see

Horvat needs a full year in Junior and a full year in the AHL before he should get a crack at the NHL.

What concerns me is his lack of creativity offensively. I didn't see anything over these 3 games that screamed top 10 draft pick, or future offensive threat in the NHL.

most people like yourself, only notice players on how much offensive production they produce. ryan kesler was the same way as horvat as a rookie. and kesler turned into a 40 goal scorer. he'd be a great 3rd line shut down guy this season.

No chance on Richie, I have no idea how fans don't comprehend what that guy brings to the table.

Lack of hockey knowledge I guess....Vey who knows as none of us have seen him play but at this point there are no prospects who are 'better' than any of our vets or even close enough to warrant taking a spot.

Only guy that might be on the bubble vet wise is Hansen as we have many of the same type of player there. Higgins, Him, Matthias, Richie etc...and of that group, he is the most expendible as each of the others has a unique trait they bring to the team (Higgins and Hansen are effectively the same but Higgy is more physical, Matthias is bigger, and Richie is amazing in the circle and a great defensive player himself)....

So if any spot opens its 3w, and that's assuming Vey shows he's ready.

Hansen > Richardson.

Brings more speed, ability to score. What, 3rd on our team just 2 years ago? Can apply pressure like nobody else, not even Burrows. In a game filled with puck pressure and transition offense Hansen is who you want! As we move back to exactly that game his value will become more apparent again...

Richardson does bring strength, utility as well as he plays wing but is also a good centre and face off guy. Intangibles! And he plays the game equally hard. Look Richardson has earned a position. But he is a depth guy and not the same speed or talent as Hansen.

At the end of the day it is unlikely there will be NO injuries at all up front. Horvat can make the team without losing anyone in all probability?

I've watched Horvat with both hope and expectations, but I've seen nothing to see the chnace of this guy ( picked 9th over all by trading away Schneider ) to make me think he will become an impact player in the NHL. I can't think of any players on the current roster who bring less than this guy. This is not kindergarten. if he's the second choice for a role than he goes back to junior. I want the team to win not baby sit. Shinkaruk looks more primed for the big's

I wonder when realism witl arrive for the Vcr fans, all this time self promoting all these "great" prospects when they come head to head with other players in the same category...does this tourney give some perspective to what we have

Neither have I. Lets see how he does at training camp . Unless he shows something else, hes going back to the OHL.

Matthais will play 4th line LW to replace Sestito Vey will go to Utica or replace Hansen 3rd line Rw or hansen will be traded if Vey sticks. Hansen is useless to the team in my mind

LOL, nope. GMJB didn't trade for a waiver eligible player just to send him to the AHL. Vey starts the season in Van. Book it.

The thing is, Bo is not a lock in any sense whatsoever - and that's not just talking about the people who say he's a lock on the Canucks for 3/4C - that also accounts for people who say he's a lock to get sent down to London.

You can't predict how Bo will do against men at main camp based on this YS tournament.. None of us know whether he is ready or not at this point so let's just wait and see in the next couple weeks!

I think there's flaws in both arguments.

Those who say he should be sent down saying he could develop more offense there (I'll admit that I am part of these guys), I've seen arguments that say that he could start out as a shutdown bottom-6 and develop offensively in this league. That's fair - I think that could happen as well and we've seen in many players who take advantage of their ability to play a good smart 2-way game to make the NHL roster as a bottom-6 forward and work their way up. Despite not having dominated offensively in junior, Bo can use his 2-way game to make the team first then develop his offense at the NHL level as opportunities open up ahead of him.

Those who say he's too good and there's nothing more for Bo to learn in junior, while that may be true about his defensive game, it definitely is not true of his offensive game. He could still learn to be leaned on as a primary point producer on his team upon his return and continue to build his game up.

Wherever Bo ends up playing this season, it'll be for the good of both the Canucks and Bo himself. If he isn't one of the best 12 (to crack the roster), then he'll be the best forward on London and develop there. If he is one of the best 12 (even if it's due to injuries opening rooms), then he'll be a Canuck this season (for however long - 9 games or a full season).

Hansen > Richardson.

Brings more speed, ability to score. What, 3rd on our team just 2 years ago? Can apply pressure like nobody else, not even Burrows. In a game filled with puck pressure and transition offense Hansen is who you want! As we move back to exactly that game his value will become more apparent again...

Richardson does bring strength, utility as well as he plays wing but is also a good centre and face off guy. Intangibles! And he plays the game equally hard. Look Richardson has earned a position. But he is a depth guy and not the same speed or talent as Hansen.

At the end of the day it is unlikely there will be NO injuries at all up front. Horvat can make the team without losing anyone in all probability?

Hansen is way less skilled than Higgins. That guy needs a new start somewhere else.

Jensen, Gaunce, Hunter to the AHL while Bo plays 3rd or 4th line here. I think with another training camp and new coaching staff he will fit in somewhere on the 3rd or fourth line

Sedin Sedin Vrbatta

Burr Bonino Vey

Higgs Mathias Kass

Bo Richie Dorsett

I kind of think Vey is the wild card in all this. I'm starting to think Mathias may be the better 3rd line center. Skill wise Kass is a 2nd liner but his size on the 3rd line could make that a very good line. I don't know enough about Veys game but from what I have read he seems to have more of a skill game than forechecking grinder game. Who knows...we'll see soon enough

Honestly, if Benning moves anyone, my money's on Higgins.

Matthias can easily slide in to his spot on 3rd LW, he actually had a decent season and hence has higher trade value and we have no lack of depth on LW.

really? not hansen? i'd say hansen....Higgins brings everything hansen does and is slightly harder to play agianst...i like hansen but he and higgy are clones w higgy being tougher

Hansen is way less skilled than Higgins. That guy needs a new start somewhere else.

Jensen, Gaunce, Hunter to the AHL while Bo plays 3rd or 4th line here. I think with another training camp and new coaching staff he will fit in somewhere on the 3rd or fourth line

Sedin Sedin Vrbatta

Burr Bonino Vey

Higgs Mathias Kass

Bo Richie Dorsett

I kind of think Vey is the wild card in all this. I'm starting to think Mathias may be the better 3rd line center. Skill wise Kass is a 2nd liner but his size on the 3rd line could make that a very good line. I don't know enough about Veys game but from what I have read he seems to have more of a skill game than forechecking grinder game. Who knows...we'll see soon enough

Agree w everything just see that second line as too small...Kassian adds some size and physicality to it and from what I've ready the Nucks really want to see Vey at center. 3rd line puts less pressure on him in his first real NHL season as well and gives him similar/gritty wingers he had success with in the minors.

I think Kass takes 2nd line wing, especially given how hard he seems have been working out with Vey in between Higgy and Matthias

If Vey shows he has exceptional offensive talent I'd rather see

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Vey Kassian

Higgins Bonino Matthias

After another okay but unspectacular showing in the youngstars tournament (as in Memorial Cup, the Canadian Juniors, and training camp last year) there is no way Horvat makes the team this year. In fact, I thought he was a lock to get a 9-game trial but I now think that is unlikely.

In his interview on TSN (www.tsn.ca/nhl/) Benning said they see Horvat as a centre, not as a wing and would not play him a wing this season. And when asked to name his centres (after Henrik) he indicated that the guys who have the inside track was Bonino (2C) and Vey. He also mentioned Richardson and Matthias. WHen asked about Horvat he said Horvat would have to show he is better than those guys. Presumably he would need to move ahead of both Richardson and Matthias to get the 4C position, moving Richardson to the wing and Matthias to 13th man. He did not sound like he thought that was likely.

I like Horvat and he is a good prospect but it is hard to believe Gillis gave up a top echelon goaltender who was still young, on affordable contract, and who was a great teammate for a guy who, right now, projects as a solid definsively-oriented 3C, and probably not till next year at the earliest.

Archived