The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2014-2015 Canucks Broadcast Media Thread

cleowin

Q: Are John Shorthouse & John Garrett calling all Canucks games this season?

A: No, they are only on contract to broadcast regional sportsnet pacific and regional sportsnet Vancouver hockey broadcasts which are subject to outside regional blackout restrictions. National broadcasts will have a different set of commentators, which will be announced on week to week basis.

Q: What channels will the games be broadcasted on?

A: 44 Regional Canucks games this season will be broadcasted on Sportsnet Pacific. 4 will be broadcasted on Sportsnet Pacific's Companion Channel: Sportsnet Vancouver Hockey. The remaining 34 Games will be broadcasted on City TV, Sportsnet One, Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet East, Sportsnet Ontario, CBC, and TVA Sports. Check this thread for weekly updates.

So to confirm, does that mean we'll have Shorthouse/Garrett for 48 games of the season?

I feel like the same number of people will watch games regardless of commentators, and the ones annoyed by some will just mute the TV or not pay attention to them.

So then I don't really see the point in knowing who is commentating beforehand, seeing how you're gonna watch the game anyways.

I suppose I'd rather save my time and enjoy the surprise.

He is from Ontario I think..went to Ryerson...came here and worked until the mid 90s then returned to Toronto and TSN...he hosted Sportspage locally with Taylor, BMac and Shorthouse....I find his play by play so monotone.

You got that right. He's a good sports talk host and it stops there.

Q: What channels will the games be broadcasted on?

A: 44 Regional Canucks games this season will be broadcasted on Sportsnet Pacific. 4 will be broadcasted on Sportsnet Pacific's Companion Channel: Sportsnet Vancouver Hockey. The remaining 34 Games will be broadcasted on City TV, Sportsnet One, Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet East, Sportsnet Ontario, CBC, and TVA Sports. Check this thread for weekly updates.

Q: What channels will the games NOT be broadcast on?

A: {a shorter list of channels}

Not sure why one poster responded "Cool" to this, sounds very confusing.

Is center ice pack no longer going to be available?

I am living in a campsite in northern Alberta and have no WiFi. (Thought game center live might be an option but my bell turbo stick is very slow and I have to pay a lot for data) so I will only have satellite TV. From what I understand here is that most of the games will be blacked out for me

Is that correct? Can someone help me out here please? Thanks

Pre-Season Week 2:

ARI @ VAN: 6:00 PM - Sept. 29, 2014, SNP: John Shorthouse & John Garrett / TSN 1040: Jon Abbott & Dave Tomlinson

VAN @ EDM: 6:00 PM - Oct. 2, 2014, SN360: John Shorthouse & John Garrett / TSN 1040: Jon Abbott & Dave Tomlinson

EDM @ VAN: 7:00 PM - Oct 4, 2014, SN1: John Shorthouse & John Garrett / TSN 1040: Jon Abbott & Dave Tomlinson

Source

I've been listening to the preseason games on the radio, at least until turning it off after the first period against Phoenix. The radio play by play has been such that I don't know what's happening in any sort of detail-don't know who's taking faceoffs, what lines are on the ice, who the penalty killers are, even some of the time who just delivered a hit or took a shot. Sometimes I'd know who was on the ice by hearing one name during the play and knowing what the line combinations were expected to be, but it was frustrating to have to wait hoping to hear a name and then piece together who else was likely on the ice.

Anybody else out there listening to the radio play by play? I'm finding myself looking forward to times when Shorthouse isn't required on tv.

tyhee

Archived