The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Marc Methot negotiations are gettting nasty/Uncomfirmed reports saying Bobby Ryan turned down a 7 year offer.

An ugly public spat between the Ottawa Senators and Larry Kelly, the agent representing defenceman Marc Methot, is echoing in the air as the team kicks off training camp Thursday.

Senators assistant GM Pierre Dorion said in a TSN 1200 interview Wednesday that he was “flabbergasted” by a report which said the sides were only $300,000 apart in negotiations towards a long-term contract extension. Kelly and Methot, who were both quoted in the story, wondered whether the Senators were truly interested in getting a deal done.

“First of all, it’s disappointing,” Dorion said, during a break at the club’s charity golf tournament. “I’ve been with the team for eight years and I don’t know if I’ve ever been more disappointed about anything that has been written.”

Dorion went on to say that “the information within that article is totally false and there’s no other way to put it.”

According to Kelly, both sides have moved from their starting point in negotiations — Brooks Orpik’s five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Washington Capitals was the starting point for Methot’s camp — to narrow the gap. Kelly says Methot had lowered his demands to $5 million per season, while the Senators had raised their offer to an average of $4.7 million per season.

Kelly said Wednesday that he “absolutely” stands by the quoted numbers.

Dorion had choice words for Kelly, saying it was negotiation in bad faith, insisting the Senators have always been interested in signing Methot to a long-term deal.

“We want to keep Marc around, but when you see things like this, you say ‘is it worth it’?”

Dorion isn’t sure what’s next. What is clear is that Methot and Bobby Ryan – he, too, is entering the final year of his existing contract – are in limbo, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk is making noise about the need to maintain a tight budget due to the difficulties of playing in the Ottawa marketplace.

Melnyk, speaking Monday on Sportsnet 590 in Toronto, talked about the franchise’s long-standing problems stemming from having the federal and municipal governments as the city’s two biggest employers.

“We’ve got a tough job to make hockey work in Ottawa, but we’re trying to make it work,” Melnyk told the radio station. “We are a very regional market. Our biggest employer can’t buy tickets, nor can they buy tickets or give tickets. The number two biggest employer is the city and they can’t buy tickets or give tickets. We’re number 29 out of 30 (in the NHL) in corporate opportunities and it’s not easy.”

Melnyk says raising ticket prices substantially isn’t an option in a “price sensitive” marketplace, which is why he has adopted the philosophy of developing from within as much as possible. The Senators payroll is $54.345 million, far below the league salary cap of $69 million, and the club ranks 28th among 30 NHL teams.

Melnyk says he is willing to add to the payroll later in the season if he’s convinced the club has a shot at making a long playoff run.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/methot-negotiations-turn-nasty

I hope the Sens and Methot get a deal done. He is a great smart top 4 d-man. I can tell you that there ain't much of those guys like him with the big body to add to that.

Let's hope for Methot's agent sake that this won't become another Overhardt/Johansen saga all over again.

_________________________________________________________________________________

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/report-ryan-turned-down-sens-seven-year-49m-offer/

There were also unconfirmed reports that Bobby Ryan turned down a 7 year, 49 million deal contract from the Sens. Hmmm. If Ryan is going to down that path, then the Sens should look to trading him come the trade deadline, and not lose him for nothing in FA next year.

I don't know about you guys but that's a nice looking offer for a player his calibre.

Sounds like it's not the most pleasant atmosphere there. 7.1 million a year over the next 7 years is a great contract for Ryan who is 4 years removed from his best season of 71 points.

But who knows. With contracts being thrown out like they are in Free Agency every year, Bobby Ryan may be able to command 8 mill AAV when jokers like Bolland are getting 5.5 AAV.

Sounds like it's not the most pleasant atmosphere there. 7.1 million a year over the next 7 years is a great contract for Ryan who is 4 years removed from his best season of 71 points.

But who knows. With contracts being thrown out like they are in Free Agency every year, Bobby Ryan may be able to command 8 mill AAV when jokers like Bolland are getting 5.5 AAV.

Agreed. 7.1 mill is something to deeply consider. At least he has a few months. He will, and I'm sure he will take his time. There's no rush for now. If he signs this kind of contract, Sens are locking him up until hes 32/33 years old.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Regarding reports Bobby Ryan turned down 7 x $7M from OTT, my understanding is not only did Ryan NOT turn it down, it was never offered.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

OTT did present multiple proposals - from 2 to 7 yrs - to Ryan but Ryan's reps didn't reject anything. Said they would re-visit talks later.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

As OTT GM Bryan Murray said in tsn.ca interview, Ryan wants to wait to see how season unfolds for him and team before negotiating numbers.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Regarding reports Bobby Ryan turned down 7 x $7M from OTT, my understanding is not only did Ryan NOT turn it down, it was never offered.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

OTT did present multiple proposals - from 2 to 7 yrs - to Ryan but Ryan's reps didn't reject anything. Said they would re-visit talks later.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

As OTT GM Bryan Murray said in tsn.ca interview, Ryan wants to wait to see how season unfolds for him and team before negotiating numbers.

Ryans gonna go super saiyan and get a 100pt season and demand more than kane or toews did, than he is going to get released to free agency where the canucks sign him to an 8yr 950k contract. ONE CAN DREAM.

The atmosphere seems fine, but there are business realities in that market. If a player wants to capitalize 100% on his value, then Ottawa may not be the best place.

That being said, there are Canucks (Bieksa*cough*cough) who've taken "discounts" to play where they feel comfortable. In the end, fanning this kinda stuff in the media seems a little low class to me. Just sayin'.

Archived