The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Ilya Bryzgalov with Wild

Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout. Insert your “humongous big” jokes here:

Shortly after word surfaced that Josh Harding will be out indefinitely, many believed that Darcy Kuemper might finally gain the leverage needed to strike a beneficial deal with the Minnesota Wild. That may still be the case, but Wild GM Chuck Fletcher played his remaining chess piece on Wednesday by handing Ilya Bryzgalov a professional tryout.

The team announced that the 34-year-old will be in camp with the team on Friday.

Naturally, the intrigue doesn’t stop here.

Will this pressure Kuemper to take a compromised deal? Could this mean that Bryzgalov might be more inclined to accept a two-way offer he wasn’t particularly interested in before?

It all makes for about as interesting as a training camp situation as one can ask for in the NHL, aside from maybe when a team hits a wall with a prized player and people start airing out dirty laundry.

Really, it’s surprising that Bryzgalov hasn’t found a friendlier offer in free agency, though. For all of his weird quotes and recent struggles, he’s an experienced goalie (457 regular season games with a solid .913 career save percentage) who isn’t that far removed from being a Vezina-caliber netminder with the Phoenix Coyotes. He’s “carried the mail” as a No. 1 before, which is something very few backups can say.

All of that aside, would it be worth it if the Wild saved money and went with Bryzgalov + Niklas Backstrom for at least the beginning of the season instead of spending a little more to see how promising Kuemper really is?

@Russostrib

Obviously this is fluid situation and things can change with one phone call, but as of now, nothing close with #mnwild G Darcy Kuemper

It’s a pretty fascinating situation, and as we know with “Breezy,” things tend to become more entertaining when he’s involved.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/wild-hand-bryzgalov-a-training-camp-tryout/

weird situation

harding this poor guy out again..still has one year left in his contract ...backstrom 2 years

i do see why the wild wants kuemper to sign a 2 way contract ...if he´s smart he should do it

and with harding out he would allready get icetime in minny ...bryz gets this chance anyways if he has success during his PTO

First off, who else would you have liked the Canucks to sign? Second, would any of those players have signed with Vancouver if an offer was made?

Don't get me wrong I'm a Miller fan and I'm sure he'll do great. That being said

If Miller got 6 million and bryz gets around 1.5... That would leave us with an extra 4.5

We could have possibly landed Iginla with that money. There's no guarantee he would have came here but I'm just saying.

Miller is better than bryz. But he isn't 4.5 million dollars better.

Either way I'm happy we got Miller but if you look back at an old proposal I made near free agency, I would have gone with bryz. He's extremely underrated since he's a little nuts!

Btw Iggy acknowledged that Vancouver was one of the final 3 teams with Jim and Trevor at the helm

Archived