The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predict the Canucks bottom 6

Outsiders

I mean absolutely no offense here my man, but do you not have autocorrect on? If you're on a computer, I would recommend you slow down. You have made some valid points in a lot of your posts but sometimes it's painful to read them.

Your right i should slow down and i dont have autocorrect on my laptop. Sorry i will make a better effort

LOL Vey waits. Guy was 40 point pace on the 3rd line and you wanna bench him for Jensen.

Who are you LOL'ing?

Vey has 18 NHL games and 5 points to his career so far. Which is a 22 point pace.

For the record I'm quite ok if if Vey beats out Jensen. And all the power to him if he does. But Jensen is a natural winger and we need a winger, with size, speed and talent. We have Benino, Mathias and Richardson Vey has to compete with for a natural center job.

Truth be told, ignorance is bliss and I've not seen Vey play. I could very well be selling him short?

Kind of sad to see Higgins or Matthias on the 4th line. They're both way too good to be down there. IMO Jensen needs to get a spot on the roster because I think at this point he needs to start developing in the big leagues. Leave him in the minors for too long and it might cripple his development.

Actually this thread is making me wonder which among our prospects would get traded. I doubt we're keeping all of them.

I'll be surprised if it isn't this:

Higgins - Vey - Hansen - quick, forechecking 3rd line that can score as well. Hansen will be better this year.

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett - very good 4th line

I think the Canucks can finally go back to rolling 4 lines again like they did back in 2011. I don't think it will be of the same quality obviously, but there is always hope.

Horvat will have to be lights out, and I really emphasize that, to make the team. There are older players with pro experience that are just as good or better than him in his position, already in the organization. No reason to rush him into that, give him another year in London, the Hunters know how to develop NHL players.

This is a common misconception. I wouldn't say we rolled 4 lines in 2011. The 4th line was given around 5-8 minutes at even strength in a sheltered role. Playing more than 5 minutes less at even strength than 3rd line players. Besides Tanner Glass and Tambellini(who moved throughout the lineup) the team never had constant 4th line which could be trusted with significant minutes. About a dozen different forwards played games on the 4th line. Most of which are out of the league(RIP Rypien). Players being: Bolduc(24 games), Oreskovich(16), Schaefer(16)Volpatti(15), Desbiens(12), Rypien(9), Hodgson(8), Perrault(7), Bliznak(4), Andersson(4).

It's sometimes forgotten that Higgins and Lapierre were both added at the deadline to bolster the 4th line but with injuries to Malohtra and Samuelsson, both were moved up in the lineup. The 4th line again in the playoffs only played around 7 minutes at ES and were heavily outmatched against BOS. A 4th line consisting of Glass, Tambellini, Oreskovich, Hodgson in the first 3 rounds was just thrown out without much of a role. Even the heroic return of Malhotra in game 2 of the finals couldn't tip the scales in the Canucks favour.

You could say we were so dominant in the regular season that we didn't need a 4th line but it would have been nice to have that extra depth against Boston. However, injuries did play a part as the plan for Higgins and Lapierre was to play on the 4th line. A lot of people are calling to trade away a veteran winger(Hansen being named quite often) to make room for a younger player but with injuries a common theme in the NHL, it's always a plus to have that extra depth you can rely on.

As the team stands right now barring any moves (Although i think there will be a trade of a bottom 6 player) It should look like this.

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen.

(Sestito)

IF Bo makes the squad:

Higgins-Horvat-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

(Hansen)

Truthfully i feel Horvat maknig the team will be factored on whether or not they can move a bottom 6 forward via trade (Hansen/Richardson)

This is a common misconception. I wouldn't say we rolled 4 lines in 2011. The 4th line was given around 5-8 minutes at even strength in a sheltered role.

[...]

Ya our 4th line was so sh!t for every game leading up to acquiring Max Lapierre & Chris Higgins and so sh!t again soon after when Malhotra went down and we had to move Lapierre up to the 3rd line.

We were definitely a 3 line team, and our lack of depth really got exposed in the 2011 run. It's a miracle (AKA Luongo's two 1-0 shutout performances) we even went to 7 games against Boston.

I think this would be my line up unless Bo blows it.

Sedins-vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-vey-hansen

Matthias-horvat-dorsett

Nice infusion of youth on most lines and vets are there too.

Trade Richardson. Sestito the healthy scratch.

I agree with your lineup if Horvat really explodes in camp and shows some offence. His 2 way game in the prospects tourney was apparently excellent, but Richardson's veteran presence will be tough for Horvat to overtake. However he is in a good situation (or bad, depending on your stance on Horvat) that if he doesn't make the squad he heads back down to London. Obviously Benning knows that and that COULD be the deciding factor if he's on the cusp of outplaying Richardson. However I don't believe Benning is the type to rush a player (being that you could argue he was rushed himself in his career) so I guess we'll just wait and see.

I don't see him ousting a guy on the wing and taking himself out of his natural position.

If Vey is the only young guy to crack our forward group, I'll be crushed, unexcited and kinda disgusted.

It's not that bad. Next year, Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk will all have 1 year of pro under their belt and atleast 1 of them should get a NHL spot, Horvat will get his first pro year (if he is sent to junior), Virtanen and McCann could potentially find spots on the roster if they are ready but unlikely since we have prospects who've already played pro.

If Vey is the only young guy to crack our forward group, I'll be crushed, unexcited and kinda disgusted.

Kind of like how it has been watching Kassian develop for most of his tenure with the Canucks.

Developing prospects slowly- at the AHL level- is not a bad route.

I would rather have a team of veterans ,personally.

It's another matter if you have a young Stamkos or MacKinnon but we don't have anything close.

None of our draft picks from the last 2 years are going to make this team.

The additions of NHL-ready Bonino, Vey, Vrbata, and Dorsett made sure of that.

That's a good thing. Let them marinate....

As far as our bottom 6. It's no secret that Benning likes big players with jam, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with JT Wyman.

At 6'2" 210 lbs he has the size, and he popped 2 goals today... 28 years old and only played 40 NHL games? Sure that may say something... but if he can consistently pot 20 points a season and be responsible defensively I say sign him for bottom 6 depth.

That's what wins you championships.

why do people think vey would be our 3rd line center? hes still young and matthias came here to play on the third line. plus i think he will be pretty good between higgins and hansen

higgins-matthias-hansen

dorsett-richardson-vey

Nice username! :)

I think vey is pretty talented guy and could be anywhere in the top nine and think has more potential for offence then higgins so id prefer him above him. TBH im not a fan no more of Higgy he has serious limitations and i think was a mistake of his contract

why do people think vey would be our 3rd line center? hes still young and matthias came here to play on the third line. plus i think he will be pretty good between higgins and hansen

higgins-matthias-hansen

dorsett-richardson-vey

This. Vey always seems to be penciled in on the 3rd line ahead of Matthias for some unknown reason. Vey < Matthias.

Matthias is a proven NHLer with tremendous heart and hustle (and size). Admittedly, I do not know a lot about Vey but at this point he is not ahead of Matthias on the depth chart. He hasn't earned it, yet.

Archived