The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

WHISTLER -- In the wars that formed America, some of the fiercest fighting occurred in the Mohawk River Valley in upstate New York, where First Nations, French, British and American armies bloodied one another for control of the vital trade route linking Lake Ontario and the Atlantic.

From the riotous cauldron around Rome, N.Y., many warriors emerged. The toughest one on skates 250 years later is probably Tom Sestito.

The 6-foot-5 winger fought his way into the National Hockey League, and has fought to stay there. Last season, Sestito led the league with 19 fighting majors and 213 penalty minutes. He scored five times for the Vancouver Canucks.

A couple of weeks ago, when the teams new coach was asked if there was a Canuck player he had his eye on for greater things this season, Willie Desjardins didnt say Alex Edler or Alex Burrows, who badly need bounceback campaigns, or emerging offensive players like Nick Bonino or Zack Kassian. Desjardins mentioned Tom Sestito, who only once has averaged more than 6:54 of playing time in an NHL season and has scored 10 goals in his career.

I just honestly think he has more to give, Desjardins explained Sunday after the Canucks intra-squad game at training camp. Hes skilled for a big guy. And we need that. The assets he has, we can really use on this team. But we cant use it unless he gets into the right mindframe and shape to do it. If he does, he can be pretty effective at it. I told him the role I want from him and said its up to you.

During the summer, Sestito dropped 10 pounds off a frame listed at 246 pounds last season and reported to training camp in better shape than a year ago.

In 2006-07, the season after he was drafted in the third round by the Columbus Blue Jackets, Sestito scored 42 goals and helped lead the Plymouth Whalers to the Ontario Hockey League title and the Memorial Cup tournament in Vancouver.

If he ever scores 42 goals in an NHL season, Sestito will be a first-team all-star and heralded as the greatest power forward since Cam Neely. Even he knows thats not happening.

But a week before his 27th birthday, Sestito believes he can do a lot more in the NHL than fight and is playing for a coach willing to give him that chance.

You kind of get put in a role to make sure you stay in the NHL, Sestito said. You do what you can to stick. I went through that phase. I did that. I wanted to play a little bit more last year. I know I can play in the league, know I can do other things. Hopefully this is the year I show it.

If not this year, when?

Sestito played more games for the Canucks last season, 77, than he had in his NHL career until then. But he has been in professional hockey for seven seasons and is on his third NHL team.

Vancouver is in the brutally tough Pacific Division and needs players with heft and toughness. Desjardins vows to use four forward lines this season, almost unheard of for the Canucks. Sestito may never get a better chance to prove he can play as well as fight.

I was always a small guy growing up, he said. The year before I went to junior, I sprouted five inches. I was a little awkward growing that much in a short time, and when youre a bigger guy they just think youre a fighter. So I started fighting. That got me to the OHL, then I got bigger and stronger.

Before that, he said, he was a small, shifty guy who scored goals and created them for others. Sestito and his friends spent endless winter afternoons at an outdoor rink in the park about a mile from his home in Rome. His older, smaller brother, Tim, also made it to professional hockey but has spent much of his career in the minors for the New Jersey Devils.

I looked like a little Hank Sedin out there, Tom Sestito said, smiling, when asked about minor hockey. When I was younger, I did it all. It was so fun. It was great to be the power play guy and the go-to guy.

Wed play shinny for hours at the park, then rest in the snowbank. It was fun. We had a ball out there. I played every sport; not just hockey.

Asked if he had hockey idols, Sestito said: I didnt watch hockey a lot but I did like Matthew Barnaby and Darius Kasparaitis. I thought they were feisty guys. Maybe this is where the fighting came in.

It has suited Sestito.

Desjardins hasnt told him to fight less this season, but to not engage simply because an opponent wants to fight.

If hes got to fight, hes got to fight, Desjardins said. But I dont need him to go out and look for them. If people want to take penalties on us, we want to go on the power play.

Hes got some talent. (But) its one thing to have talent, its another thing youve got to put into place and use it. Toms a good guy. I think hes ready and wants to help the team.

Sestito said nobody wants to be typecast only as a fighter.

I dont like sitting on the bench for 58 minutes of the game, he said. Its a pleasure to play in the NHL and a honour to play in the NHL, and you have to do whatever keeps you there. I dont want another job. I love it here. So if I have to fight, I fight. But hopefully, maybe Ill still get my dream and score that Stanley Cup winner.

Tom ditched the tositos, maybe he can become full time Top Sixito?!?!

Sestito is a great team guy.

He fought when he had to, did his job, and played fairly well.

But he's kind of a tweener. He doesn't definitively win his fights...and he's not the best forecheck option.

For enforcers to be most effective, they have to be intimidating, downright scary...like Brashear, or Probert. Guys you REALLY don't want to have to answer to.

And I guess that's my indictment of Sestito; he's not scaring anybody. And he's not quite a good enough hockey player to overcome that.

Seems like a cool guy, though.

I will be a bit more blunt. The guy is a crappy fighter, can't skate, can't make plays and can't score goals. He is utterly useless (aside from being a "cool guy")

I will be a bit more blunt. The guy is a crappy fighter, can't skate, can't make plays and can't score goals. He is utterly useless (aside from being a "cool guy")

That is a bit harsh I think. He was able to play the role asked of him very well last year. This year we don't appear to have that role on our roster.

Some posters think he can become a 10 minute per game player, I don't think he can... or at least as effectively as some of our young guys can be if they are given the minutes.

Assuming his linemates get some extra minutes on the 2nd unit PK, they end up with 12-13 minutes a game and Sestito would be the least used forward at 10 minutes per game on average. That is half again as much ice time as he has averaged in his entire career. He has been in different organizations without ever grabbing extra playing time, so unless he has done a really big turn around over the summer, he still won't be able to do it.

For those quoting the article from the coach, you seem to be reading that as him patting Sestito on the back, it is clearly an article about how he has challenged Sestito to become a better player. You can read between the lines there pretty easily. "We don't want an enforcer on our team... be able to play a regular shift at a high tempo or you are gone".

It will quickly become evident in the pre-season if he can do that or not. If we don't have injuries in the forward ranks, he becomes a mathematical problem. I believe they will want to try to keep Horvat around for a few games simply because it will be better for his development even to be the spare forward and practicing with the team and seeing how the NHL works.

It ain't over til it's over. Desjardins had some comments about Sestito specifically yesterday that he liked what he was bringing, just worried about his ability to do so if he got increased minutes. We'll see who does what in camp since it's wide open for those last spots right now.

“I just honestly think he has more to give,” Desjardins explained Sunday after the Canucks’ intra-squad game at training camp. “He’s skilled for a big guy. And we need that. The assets he has, we can really use on this team. But we can’t use it unless he gets into the right mindframe and shape to do it. If he does, he can be pretty effective at it. I told him the role I want from him and said ‘it’s up to you.’ ”

Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Rome+gladiator+ready+rise/10223471/story.html#ixzz3E4qLDlKp

I thought Tom played well last year and stuck up for teammates. I agree with WD and hope Sestito is another guy that can prove the doubters wrong

That is a bit harsh I think. He was able to play the role asked of him very well last year. This year we don't appear to have that role on our roster.

Some posters think he can become a 10 minute per game player, I don't think he can... or at least as effectively as some of our young guys can be if they are given the minutes.

Assuming his linemates get some extra minutes on the 2nd unit PK, they end up with 12-13 minutes a game and Sestito would be the least used forward at 10 minutes per game on average. That is half again as much ice time as he has averaged in his entire career. He has been in different organizations without ever grabbing extra playing time, so unless he has done a really big turn around over the summer, he still won't be able to do it.

For those quoting the article from the coach, you seem to be reading that as him patting Sestito on the back, it is clearly an article about how he has challenged Sestito to become a better player. You can read between the lines there pretty easily. "We don't want an enforcer on our team... be able to play a regular shift at a high tempo or you are gone".

It will quickly become evident in the pre-season if he can do that or not. If we don't have injuries in the forward ranks, he becomes a mathematical problem. I believe they will want to try to keep Horvat around for a few games simply because it will be better for his development even to be the spare forward and practicing with the team and seeing how the NHL works.

I agree with everything you are saying and history (in terms of ice time) are not on his side.

Tom will have to work very hard to improve his overall game to earn a roster spot. That said, he was a big time scorer in junior, put up decent AHL numbers, and faired well when Torts bumped his icetime up to 16 minutes against Anaheim (and I believe 12 against LA).

He has been pigeonholed into a 4th line enforcer role throughout his short NHL career. He may or may not get the opportunity to prove he can do more. I've heard from Rangers fans that Dorsett was awful last season, Sestito could outplay him (again, odds are against Tom here).

Most heavyweight enforcers failed to put up points at any level in their career. I still think Sestito is a better player that we believe and could rise to the occasion.

Another clip today with the coach talking about Sestito on TSN 1040

https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/willie-desjardins-with-matt-and-blake-september-22

It still sounds like Sestito is on the outside looking in and has to prove himself as much as any rookie or prospect does. The gist in the interview is that he has to be able to play and the fighting is secondary.

I have also heard the coach several times talk about thinking fighting is OK when guys compete hard and get annoyed with each other. even Sestito said he was told that "staged" fights off a face off were a no-no this season.

It is a REALLY big question mark as to whether Sestito can be a full time player. I really hope he can, but he has never gotten there in his entire career. There are a bunch of enforcers who haven't been signed and will be waiver fodder yet again this season, Sestito could very well join them.

Right now a guy like Archibald who is faster and more capable of getting to a guy to lay out hits, or Lain who is a better player might fill the role expected more than the Boxing Hobo.

I have a soft spot for those tough guys who stand up for their team-mates and hope he can succeed. For those of you who have never been punched in the face outside of grade school fights... it takes some serious courage to do what they do.

Sestito is only 26 and yet is respected as a tough guy in the league. He scored more goals (42) in his last year with Plymouth in the OHL than either Gaunce or Horvat did last season

Lain has only played a few games in the NHL and is 25 and hasn't certainly come any where close to TS numbers and is not have the respect for the other NHL tough guys.

Willy D has spoke to Sestito at length apprently and asked for more speed...according to media reports he's come into camp 30lbs lighter than last year.

I'll be surprised if he fails to make the team and will certainly never get through waivers.

Let's not assume that all the other teams in the league intend to play nice in the community sand box

Sestito is only 26 and yet is respected as a tough guy in the league. He scored more goals (42) in his last year with Plymouth in the OHL than either Gaunce or Horvat did last season

Lain has only played a few games in the NHL and is 25 and hasn't certainly come any where close to TS numbers and is not have the respect for the other NHL tough guys.

Willy D has spoke to Sestito at length apprently and asked for more speed...according to media reports he's come into camp 30lbs lighter than last year.

I'll be surprised if he fails to make the team and will certainly never get through waivers.

Let's not assume that all the other teams in the league intend to play nice in the community sand box

Nvm thought he was an overager.

But he lost 10 lbs, not 30. I think at this point in his career Sestito is what he is. I don't see him making the team.

Another clip today with the coach talking about Sestito on TSN 1040

https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/willie-desjardins-with-matt-and-blake-september-22

It still sounds like Sestito is on the outside looking in and has to prove himself as much as any rookie or prospect does. The gist in the interview is that he has to be able to play and the fighting is secondary.

I have also heard the coach several times talk about thinking fighting is OK when guys compete hard and get annoyed with each other. even Sestito said he was told that "staged" fights off a face off were a no-no this season.

It is a REALLY big question mark as to whether Sestito can be a full time player. I really hope he can, but he has never gotten there in his entire career. There are a bunch of enforcers who haven't been signed and will be waiver fodder yet again this season, Sestito could very well join them.

Right now a guy like Archibald who is faster and more capable of getting to a guy to lay out hits, or Lain who is a better player might fill the role expected more than the Boxing Hobo.

I have a soft spot for those tough guys who stand up for their team-mates and hope he can succeed. For those of you who have never been punched in the face outside of grade school fights... it takes some serious courage to do what they do.

I really enjoy Willy D interviews. From what I heard, Tom Sestito is going to be in tough for a roster spot.

I really enjoy Willy D interviews. From what I heard, Tom Sestito is going to be in tough for a roster spot.

Yep it appears so. People here are arguing the merits of having a fighter in the lineup... my OP wasn't making a call on whether it was right or wrong... just what I could read from the various comments that the Canucks brass have made as to their plans.

It is a super tough call. Our best years had us with a solid 4th line who could contribute, most winning teams now have that. at the same time, it was always annoying to see one of our middle weights have to take on guys 30 pounds heavier and get injured from fights.

Sestito fixed that particular issue, but our fourth line was entirely useless last year and I could hardly remember his linemates names they were so invisible during games.

I still can't believe MG gave the guy a 2-year deal! Nice guy to have around if you want to give the impression that your team won't be pushed around. I just wish he'd actually win once in a while when he drops the gloves. Would rather see 4 scoring lines rather than 3 and a goon line, which is what he's obviously suited for and was brought here for. With Vey still VERY unproven at the NHL level (why so many at this board have taken to him so quickly when we really don't know much about him I don't know. Just because he came from the Kings?), he'd be the 13th forward, not Sestito. In a perfect world.

I don't think Tom has a future with this club (as a player) beyond this season, assuming he survives it (or even begins it) as a Canuck.

I still can't believe MG gave the guy a 2-year deal! Nice guy to have around if you want to give the impression that your team won't be pushed around. I just wish he'd actually win once in a while when he drops the gloves. Would rather see 4 scoring lines rather than 3 and a goon line, which is what he's obviously suited for and was brought here for. With Vey still VERY unproven at the NHL level (why so many at this board have taken to him so quickly when we really don't know much about him I don't know. Just because he came from the Kings?), he'd be the 13th forward, not Sestito. In a perfect world.

I don't think Tom has a future with this club (as a player) beyond this season, assuming he survives it (or even begins it) as a Canuck.

I thought his fighting came around last season. He won against Jackman, Barch, McCormick, Nolan x2, Peluso, Neil (all tough customers) and held his own in fights against Orr and Gazdic (two legit heavyweights).

Also his 5 goals is not too shabby for a 4th line enforcer, and he was tied second on the team for hits (forwards).

He was terrible his first season, but did make great strides last year. If he improves the same amount I think he could be an effective 4th liner although part of me hopes Archibald makes it instead.

Agreed, it was harsh...a little too much.

Regarding your thoughts, I don't know why you don't think he can play 10 minutes a game? And he should be just as effective as the young guys on our team...bonus for him is that he has the experience and size to do some damage.

5 minutes or 10 minutes....are you suggesting he'd be gassed by the difference? His 5 minutes per game is not something that he requested, it was given to him by his previous coaches because they only saw him as a goon. WD sees something different in him obviously.... and I tend to believe that WD has done his research and watched enough games in detail to notice these qualities.

Regarding the big turn-around over the summer...he came in 10 lbs lighter and is much faster on the ice. He's obviously anxious to show that he is more than just a fighter and his dedication to fitness over the summer shows me that he's not taking this opportunity lightly.

I'm not sure who understood the article as a "pat-on-the-back"....It's obviously a coach telling his player that he believes that the player has more to offer and WD is willing to give him a chance. WD said that it was up to Sestito to come into camp prepared and ready to take this opportunity if he wanted it... WD also says that he doesn't want Sestito to instigate fights or have fights prior to puck drops, he wants to frustrate the other teams and take the PP opportunities when given. He told Sestito to pick his fights better....basically, only fight when necessary. Be a smart enforcer.

What you mentioned about "reading between the lines"....it seems quite obvious to me? Don't go out and take penalties, improve your fitness and we will give you the ice time if warranted...if not, you won't be playing. Same as any other messages players receive from their coach.

What makes this "unique" is that most enforcers don't get the same messages as the other players...it is suggested that they just need to "enforce" and not needed for anything else.

Having Horvat around would be great....but I prefer to see him come in when he's ready for the 3rd. I like that he's got a taste of the NHL and he's hungry for it....let him sweat it out and work hard on improving for the next year and come play when he's ready. Not because we want to see him play... and I think he could still hone his offensive skills....he's got the defensive end down pat.

9 games is very short to make a serious assessment.... However, if he comes in and outplays his peers than let him play. If he doesn't and is just a "fit" equal to others that are more experienced....let him work on his speed, aggressiveness and offense for another year....the extra ice time, leadership skills and "weaker" opponents should help him better his offense. It won't hurt and I highly doubt it will be stagnant.

Come take a job when it's yours outright.

Sestito is a great team guy.

He fought when he had to, did his job, and played fairly well.

But he's kind of a tweener. He doesn't definitively win his fights...and he's not the best forecheck option.

For enforcers to be most effective, they have to be intimidating, downright scary...like Brashear, or Probert. Guys you REALLY don't want to have to answer to.

And I guess that's my indictment of Sestito; he's not scaring anybody. And he's not quite a good enough hockey player to overcome that.

Seems like a cool guy, though.

Rypien was pretty scary.

An added wrinkle is the 3 goalie conundrum (when can we not have a goalie issue).

It is looking like it is possible that Benning wants to hold on to all three and wait for a team to get an injury and be in desperate shape for a goalie option. that could happen in pre-season but could also take a month into the regular season.

If a team loses their starter, Lack suddenly looks like a great option for them and might be worth some real assets in return. If we assume the backup might only play 15-20 games, all you want from your backup is to be .500. Either Lack or Markstrom can do that. Lack maybe winning a couple more games.

If we have 3 goalies there is a roster spot taken up that is not available for an additional forward or defenceman.

Archived