The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

I loved what tom Sestito was able to do last season and I like fighting in hockey.

Having said that, I fully believe that he will be waived before the season.

I simply can't see him having a role with this team, he is simply not built for a team that rolls four lines who are all expected to play lots of minutes in many situations. We have better team toughness now than last year so having a pure enforcer isn't as necessary.

In addition, we have plenty of young call ups who can play a fourth line role who have more to offer as a player and have more upside who can come if we have injuries.

Gaunce

Lain

Archibald

Grenier

Also, dropping Sestito means we can keep Horvat for his 9 games at least and then probably loan him directly to the junior national team where he can play significant minutes and develop more than being in juniors.

I rather have him than all those guys unless Gaunce is ready. He tries, and hits like a train. Seemed like one of the few who gave a ***** last season. It will likely be a rough year, prefer to have him round rather than not.

He can make some fine plays too, one of the best players among knuckle draggers.

I rather have him than all those guys unless Gaunce is ready. He tries, and hits like a train. Seemed like one of the few who gave a ***** last season. It will likely be a rough year, prefer to have him round rather than not.

He can make some fine plays too, one of the best players among knuckle draggers.

I don't disagree with anything you say except preferring him to the young guys.

He is a great character guy who made some nice plays and did exactly what the coaches asked him last year.

Different coaches, different system though.

All Desjardins has been talking about is dictating the pace and rolling four lines. That screams "not Sestito" in my books. Even if you assume his linemates will get some PK time while he is stapled to the bench, he would still be expected to play 10+ minutes a game in the new regime and that is a lot to ask for him to do at a high pace.

Some of it depends on injuries in the pre-season... but if we are healthy at the start of the regular season I see this as our starting roster:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Horvat

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Weber

Stanton

Miller

Lack

(Markstrom may still be there but could easily be gone if another team gets a goalie injury)

Lol I find it comical how everyome is split 50/50 on getting rid of or keeping this player or that player but when it comes to Tom Sestito damn near EVERYONE says keep the guy... Im sorry I don't want him and we will be letting him go after his contract is over this year to make room for a young player. Quote it.

I think he's gonna battle Dorsett for the role o 4th line plug. Both are capable of putting up a minor amount of points and Tom "broke out" with 5 goals last year. That said, Dorsett has had 20 points in a season before, so Tom has his work cut out for him.

I think he's gonna battle Dorsett for the role o 4th line plug. Both are capable of putting up a minor amount of points and Tom "broke out" with 5 goals last year. That said, Dorsett has had 20 points in a season before, so Tom has his work cut out for him.

If that is the competition, Sestito is screwed. Think of Dorsett more as a comparable to Chris Neil in Ottawa, not an enforcer.

Dorsett plays 11-15 minutes per game historically over his career... Sestito 5-6.

If we don't dress Sestito, the other team doesn't dress its goon... then our 4th line is more talented and can contribute more than almost any 4th line in the league.

If the other team dresses its goon, then Dorsett/Sbisa (or whoever replaces Sestito in the rotation) has to step up if need be.

Sestito is a great team guy.

He fought when he had to, did his job, and played fairly well.

But he's kind of a tweener. He doesn't definitively win his fights...and he's not the best forecheck option.

For enforcers to be most effective, they have to be intimidating, downright scary...like Brashear, or Probert. Guys you REALLY don't want to have to answer to.

And I guess that's my indictment of Sestito; he's not scaring anybody. And he's not quite a good enough hockey player to overcome that.

Seems like a cool guy, though.

It will be a tough call. Tom makes a contribution to the team and it will be difficult to put up points in the western conference without the availability of a respected fighter.

I should add that I am not making a judgement on whether I think the plan/vision is right or wrong in not having a place for a Sestito. I was heartily sick of seeing our players get ragdolled a couple of seasons ago having toe fight above their weight class every time.

What I am saying is that it sounds like with the vision of the coach as has been expressed, Sestito doesn't fit.

Archived