The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Curtis Valk signing

So this kid comes out of no where and impresses in Canucks prospect tourny as he was the highest scorrer on the team (Horvat, shink, fox, jensen were all there too). and i hear hes impressing in camp, scored 2 goals in the team scrimmage.

My question is why hasn't JB signed this kid yet. he's only 21 and went undrafted but has improved his game every single year (back-to-back 45+ goal season in the WHL as over ager). The snag here is that he's only 5'9 and considered small. However, weve seen tons of guys prove the world wrong and become great players (ie. Martin St. Louis 5'7).... but thats usually on the wing. you need some size to play Center in the NHL.

Another issue why i think he hasnt been signed is he isnt projected to be a top2 center in the NHL and we have an abundance of bottom 6 prospects but no stars to solify a top2 center spot outside MAYBE Horvat (Guance, Fox, Matthias, Vey, Cassels, Friesen (5'9), Jefferay, Lain, O'Reilley) . All those guys battling for 1 or 2 spots on the roster essentially.

My proposal is that JB trys him out on the Wing in camp, where the prospect pool is a little shallower and double the amount of available positions. If it works out then i think he would be a terrific addition to our clubs depth and has good upside as a player who can play up and down the line-up. He could be the next journymen Gionta or St. Louis.

Lets go JB, sign this kid!!

I didn't see the scrimmage but I wonder if he had a bit more room out there as everyone may not have been playing as hard as they normally would as it was a scrimmage (although the Archibald hit says otherwise). Will be good to see how he goes on the 23rd.

Here's a question...do the canucks not reserve any rights at all to Valk? He was a Canuck invite to camp or what? If that's not the case, I would hope he would at least wait to hear out what the Canucks have to say about his performance and whether they want him to sign or not before he entertains other offers.

While you are correct, I don't think there's a downside to signing him for a two-year, two-way contract at the league minimum.

Whyyyyyy... He's going to be here until the end of camp relax. Unless he gets cut before then, he'll be here don't worry like Fig said nobody is going to swoop in and sign him lol he's scored a few goals in games that don't even count so he's not going to jump to the top of every GMs list of free agents

No contract space

That's the hold up

Not the case. 52 contracts, six on sliding scale, which includes Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Cederholm, Virtanen, and McCann. Assuming Shink gets sent to Utica and Horvat makes the team, that's 48 active contracts. There's room to sign Valk to NHL contract, and if not that, he can be signed to AHL contract.

My guess is that the longer Valk goes without being signed is better for him since that would imply the Canucks are evaluating him to see if he's good enough for a legit shot at the NHL (and hence an NHL ELC offer to come). If not, then he's either cut loose or offered a Comets contract. All in due time.

Wait until we see him play a real game before we start clamoring to sign him.

It's the same reason some people have written off almost all of our prospects making the team. People need to stop jumping to conclusions and be patient.

Didn't you get the memo? Careers of 18 to 22 year olds are made or broken at development camp, prospects camp, and main camp scrimmages.

Wait until we see him play a real game before we start clamoring to sign him.

It's the same reason some people have written off almost all of our prospects making the team. People need to stop jumping to conclusions and be patient.

This is why i proposed to give him a shot on the wing in camp and in the exhibition games against real NHL competition. If he can make a splash during pre-season he'd be worth singing to a two-way contract for depth with good upside.

I didn't see the scrimmage but I wonder if he had a bit more room out there as everyone may not have been playing as hard as they normally would as it was a scrimmage (although the Archibald hit says otherwise). Will be good to see how he goes on the 23rd.

I was there... I thought everyone was competing real hard. Coach was watching... Players were really hustling.

Oh right, I forgot.

Sergei Shirokov was going to be the next Dastyuk, if only AV gave him a chance.

I guess this is what happens when you do a catch and release like the Canucks did with Antoine Roussel.

EDIT: Too bad Shirokov came to camp looking like Krutov instead of Larionov. Apparently Shiriokov is one of the stars in the KHL now.

Archived