The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who gets traded Lack or Markstrom

Bad-Brad

I can't see a way that Lack is not traded. Rollie Melanson is keen on Markstrom and they have done a bunch a work. There is no chance (IMO) that if waived he makes it to the AHL. We will need to the roster spot open to keep scratched forwards around. I don't think there is any point in carrying 3 goalies during a rebuild and I will be questioning WTF Benning is doing if he does. Lack has the value, so Lack is the trade.

This is the truth, I'm afraid. Hard to say what we'd get for him, but if he could be part of a package with Sbisa or

Stanton to upgrade our defense, that might not be so bad. Lack is a good goalie, and signing Miller is going to bite us hard in the backside.

whats with all this trade/waive Sestito nonsense? Be a big mistake to let him go.

As for who gets traded, one of them will, 100% and unfortunately I think it will be Eddie. I cant see us getting much in return for Markstrom.

What do you guys think Eddie is worth?

Can't see a team trading for Lack before the rosters are set but one never says never.

If appropriate value can not be realised before the rosters are set ,Tostito is toast.

I know I don't like the thought but I can see it happening.

Lack is ready or extremely close to being ready for prime time, and shouldn't have to wait until Miller's contract is up.

Markstrom has talent just needs some refining and Rollie seems to like what he sees.... so keeping Lack may not be such a priority.

Plus in 3 years we could have Thatcher Demko making a hard push to be on our team.

Teams make decisions on who gives them the best chance to win, now and in the future.

1. Miller has a 3 yr contract but in reality 2 years as a starter, 3rd as a backup and can be traded at any time, including this year at the deadline if the Nucks don't make the playoffs - which is likely already been discussed.

2. Lack is the better goalie and simply needs tutoring (better vs Markstrom)

3. Lack will get 20-25 games this year, likely upped to 30-35 next year

4. Following year (year 3) Miller flips to the backup role if still here.

5. Markstrom is being carried (3 goalies) to showcase him and move him....

Wait and see...

May the best man win, personally whoever develops to meet their potential best should stay. Lack DOES have more value in a trade, but that's also because he's proven more as an NHLer and so he'd also logically have more value to us should Miller falter or get injured. Markstrom on the other hand doesn't have that going for him and I hope that management wouldn't hang onto him if he struggles just because he's an asset coming back for Lu. However, Markstrom is still only 24 while Eddie's almost 27 so by the time Miller's out maybe they're banking that Jacob would hit his prime by then and in this case it would make sense to try and keep him around and move Eddie for immediate help.

Either way, unless one of them does move, can everyone say "goalie controversy"?

(For the record I hope that if Markstrom's not ready then they would trade him for a pick or another enigmatic prospect since we still have Eriksson as the #3 and Lack's NHL-ready and still decently young to provide both immediate and future value).

They both have basically no value. Markstrom will get waived.

Sadly, you are probably right about the first part.

Maybe we can trade Markstrom or Lack plus a fourth round draft pick for a third round draft pick. Either way, they would have to go to a team that needs a backup, but is looking to go deep in the playoffs and wouldn't just be able to grab him off waivers.

Personal opinion, if Markstrom shows that he's at roughly the same level as Lack during camp, Lack will be moved.

I think Markstrom, overall, has more upside in the long-term. Just needs a fresh start and some good coaching.

Of course, it only takes one injury to throw the need to trade one of them right out the window!

Benning will wait to see how each goalie including miller perform. What happens if Miller starts struggling or has a groin pull or an injury with a player crashing into the net and is out for a few weeks. If Lack is traded and miller gets injured, all of a sudden it's up to Mark to carry the team for a few weeks. Id rather have lack taking that position.

I think Lack will step up this year and challenge Miller quite a bit for the #1 role.

That being said, Mark hasn't been showcased very much since Canucks acquired him and I honestly can't say where he sits in his development right now. He was projected to have a higher ceiling than Lack but will this happen this year, Or ever? Who knows right now.

Sadly, you are probably right about the first part.

Maybe we can trade Markstrom or Lack plus a fourth round draft pick for a third round draft pick. Either way, they would have to go to a team that needs a backup, but is looking to go deep in the playoffs and wouldn't just be able to grab him off waivers.

I think this came up quite a bit earlier in a thread but I think the speculation was that only 2-3 teams would even begin to look at it let alone give anything of value.

Florida would probably take one of them for a 7th round pick just to make the Luongo trade more lopsided. maybe the Jets, or the Red Wings but in the end no one is going to be looking to add either one of our goalies unless they are basically free. As of now Lack looks to be a fairly capable back up and that's it.

Play him and hope to get some value vs the waive, exactly what they are doing

Yeah, but what are you proposing? That he will play 3 or 4 crappy preseason games in which he likely won't impress at all, or enough to raise his value or do you think we'll actually carry 3 goaltenders during the year? I have my doubts about that, since rotating 3 goalies still won't showcase one of them enough with Miller getting the bulk of the work, and we don't really have an extra roster spot with our depth now either ... I don't think.

Benning will wait to see how each goalie including miller perform. What happens if Miller starts struggling or has a groin pull or an injury with a player crashing into the net and is out for a few weeks. If Lack is traded and miller gets injured, all of a sudden it's up to Mark to carry the team for a few weeks. Id rather have lack taking that position.

I think Lack will step up this year and challenge Miller quite a bit for the #1 role.

That being said, Mark hasn't been showcased very much since Canucks acquired him and I honestly can't say where he sits in his development right now. He was projected to have a higher ceiling than Lack but will this happen this year, Or ever? Who knows right now.

I don't know why he was projected to have a higher ceiling, fundamentally he is much weaker than Lack.

Lack has the size of Lou with the fundamentals of Schnieder, he has the ability to be a star in the NHL. He will be kept, they are simply trying to either provide Markstrom with some time to showcase so they can at least get a pick or a prospect back vs sending him down and losing him on waivers.

Archived