The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who gets traded Lack or Markstrom

Bad-Brad

Personal opinion, if Markstrom shows that he's at roughly the same level as Lack during camp, Lack will be moved.

I think Markstrom, overall, has more upside in the long-term. Just needs a fresh start and some good coaching.

Of course, it only takes one injury to throw the need to trade one of them right out the window!

Markstrom has so many holes in his game fundamentally I can't believe you actually said that

I don't believe Lack is, or ever will be, a top NHL starting goalie.

Well you know very little about goaltending then, his fundamentals are incredible. As usual, a typical cdc'er looking at last year and saying oh he's not that good

Ignoring the disaster that played in front of him, his lack of experience and the fact Torts almost killed the kid via exhaustion

I think this came up quite a bit earlier in a thread but I think the speculation was that only 2-3 teams would even begin to look at it let alone give anything of value.

Florida would probably take one of them for a 7th round pick just to make the Luongo trade more lopsided. maybe the Jets, or the Red Wings but in the end no one is going to be looking to add either one of our goalies unless they are basically free. As of now Lack looks to be a fairly capable back up and that's it.

Yeah, but what are you proposing? That he will play 3 or 4 crappy preseason games in which he likely won't impress at all, or enough to raise his value or do you think we'll actually carry 3 goaltenders during the year? I have my doubts about that, since rotating 3 goalies still won't showcase one of them enough with Miller getting the bulk of the work, and we don't really have an extra roster spot with our depth now either ... I don't think.

They are going to start the year with three, they've already said that, so its a showcase....get a 4th rounder vs nothing if you can....

Teams make decisions on who gives them the best chance to win, now and in the future.

1. Miller has a 3 yr contract but in reality 2 years as a starter, 3rd as a backup and can be traded at any time, including this year at the deadline if the Nucks don't make the playoffs - which is likely already been discussed.

2. Lack is the better goalie and simply needs tutoring (better vs Markstrom)

3. Lack will get 20-25 games this year, likely upped to 30-35 next year

4. Following year (year 3) Miller flips to the backup role if still here.

5. Markstrom is being carried (3 goalies) to showcase him and move him....

Wait and see...

You nailed it

Markstrom would be an upgrade for a number of teams in the no. 2 spot, so I would bet Markstrom, if he were the odd man out, would get picked off of waivers pretty quickly.

Lack, IMO would be able to push for starting role on at least 4-5 teams.

My guess is that the Canucks will carry 3 goalies (WD was on record to say that even though this isn't ideal, they would consider it) and hope that some team runs into early season injury problems with their starting goaltending, and from a position of weakness will be forced to give up more than they have to for Eddie Lack.

In the perfect world that is in my head, this is what I see happening. It'll be a shame if Eddie Lack is dealt. There's a lot to like about him.

They are going to start the year with three, they've already said that, so its a showcase....get a 4th rounder vs nothing if you can....

Oh I missed that. I heard Benning say they weren't actively looking to trade Markstrom but not that we'll have 3 goalies on the opening day roster. Interesting. Like I said I don't see how either are going to get their value raised unless Miller is on the pine for half a year.

I don't believe Lack is, or ever will be, a top NHL starting goalie. If Lack pushes Miller for the starting job it's because Miller is awful, not because Lack is playing lights out.

Gonna have to disagree...IMO, Lack's a pretty sound tender...the concern about him for me would be that he's a rail, so there may be questions about his durability and the ability to take on a heavy work load as a starter (though Ryan Miller is even more skinnier and that hasn't seem to hurt him throughout his career).

Lack played with a bad back down the stretch, and he didn't really get a chance to work on his game the previous summer as he was rehabbing his hip, so I would say that the kid should be much better this season since he had a chance to work on his fundamentals this summer.

Like all young tenders, he needs to earn his chance to be a starter...unfortunately for Eddie, I don't think that chance is going to be with the Canucks, unless he stands on his head and usurps the no. 1 job from Miller making Miller expendable.

Right now Lack is clearly better than Markstrom. He was also given ample time to progress and develop properly as comapred to Markstrom he was rushed in a spot he wasn't ready to assume in Florida killing the guys confidence. Once you build Markstrom's confidence back up and fine tune some of his bad habits he built in Florida, his ceiling is a lot higher. Watching his technicals and how he moves in net is a lot more efficient and smoother than Eddie's but lacks the consistency in them. Eddie's style is a little more spuratic at times but finds a way to make it work.

But assuming Jacob reaches his potential is always a gamble...

I would really hate to lose Markstrom because his potential tickles you but the sure bet right now is Lack and if we are content on winning now in the next few years Lack is the better bet than Markstrom.

Markstrom has so many holes in his game fundamentally I can't believe you actually said that

Markstrom has some holes in his game, but there is nothing there that can't be coached out. I don't think he's ever had a really good, focused approach with a goaltending coach.

You're pretty fast to write off a guy with his overall core potential!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jacob_markstrom/

whats with all this trade/waive Sestito nonsense? Be a big mistake to let him go.

As for who gets traded, one of them will, 100% and unfortunately I think it will be Eddie. I cant see us getting much in return for Markstrom.

What do you guys think Eddie is worth?

How many Sestito's do we need? Given Benning brought in Dorstito and Willy D's comments yesterday, I'd say Sestito is a goner.

No one carries 3 goalies. It's just plain stupid at the NHL level.

I don't think they want to risk losing Lack or Markstrom to waivers. I don't think they will carry 3 for the season, but I can see them carrying 3 for a couple of weeks.

Wait till there's an injury in the league and someone needs a goalie. Both are good backups with starting potential.

Nashville got pretty good value for Lindback in 2012, from Tampa. Lindback didn't have much more experience than Lack or Markstrom going into the trade. If they both have strong camps, could get a couple of picks for one of them.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6791

Teams make decisions on who gives them the best chance to win, now and in the future.

1. Miller has a 3 yr contract but in reality 2 years as a starter, 3rd as a backup and can be traded at any time, including this year at the deadline if the Nucks don't make the playoffs - which is likely already been discussed.

2. Lack is the better goalie and simply needs tutoring (better vs Markstrom)

3. Lack will get 20-25 games this year, likely upped to 30-35 next year

4. Following year (year 3) Miller flips to the backup role if still here.

5. Markstrom is being carried (3 goalies) to showcase him and move him....

Wait and see...

So lack gets 20-25 games, how many does Markstrom get? How soon does he get them? Number 5 makes zero sense.

Archived