The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would have to get demoted to keep Shinkaruk in the NHL

Nuxin07

Love how this kid plays. Saw a preseason game last year when he scored a beauty of a goal and after watching him so far this preseason you can tell this is the type of player the Canucks need in their Top 6.

The kid is young, fast, exciting, and scores goals.

My vote goes to Waive/Demote/Trade Hansen and keep Shinkaruk up in the show. Burrows is unlikely IMO to bounce back so why not put Burr on the 3rd line and throw Shinkaruk up with Bonino and Kassian.

Let's inject some youth and excitement on this team!

Shinkaruk is my favourite prospect. He's fast, skilled, feisty, and charismatic. I'd love to have a lineup like this:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.894m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Chris Higgins ($2.500m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,137,500; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,862,500

That team has the ability to roll 4 lines with none being a liability. Everyone can contribute. That being said, I still don't think the Canucks start with HS on the roster. I think they carry Horvat, give him 9 games, and then make a decision. If he impresses, then Horvat stays up. If not, he's sent down and bring up Jensen/Shinkaruk (if they want offense) or Zalewski/Archibald/Sestito/Lain if they want toughness.

Since Shinkaruk is a left winger, it would have to be either Burrows or Higgins, which isn't gonna happen.

Getting rid of Hansen or Sestito does nothing to open up a spot for Shinkaruk since he's not gonna play on the fourth line.

could he not play his off wing on the third line or swap with burrows?

They would probably have to move a Higgins ).= due to the fact that Shinkaruk needs to be in an offensive role (3rd line or higher) however our top 6 looks fairly set (not in stone). I'm fine with wherever he ends up he is available for call ups anyway. It's Horvat you should be thinking about because of the junior factor. Shinkaruk does not have this problem.

Hunter isn't quite there yet, but if any of the forwards go down with an injury he should be one of the first to be called up. Spending some time in the AHL should help round out his game. He looks a lot stronger with and without the puck. Much improved. No need to rush the kid.

No need to keep turning him away and discouraging him when he's clearly made a solid case for being on the team. This is where we'll see if Benning really is serious about his youth movement. Shinkaruk looks really solid and he brings exactly all the characteristics they're looking for on the Canucks: Youth, excitement, energy. Benning promised that if a young guy comes in and performs then they'll make room for him, let's see if that's true

Archived