The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen sent down.

Guest Cuporbust2

Guest Cuporbust2

Surprised at this , and that there isn't a thread yet about it. Official as per front page news.

Looks like young guys not getting a shot this year

I really think Maggie Monkey should come in and do scouting for the Canucks.

I feel like spinning a wheel with 30 prospects on it would yield a better chance at a good prospect then the guys who get millions to do so.

Spin away Maggie, Spin away....

Guest Cuporbust2

I really think Maggie Monkey should come in and do scouting for the Canucks.

I feel like spinning a wheel with 30 prospects on it would yield a better chance at a good prospect then the guys who get millions to do so.

Spin away Maggie, Spin away....

Hmmm. There might be somethin to this.

Surprised at this , and that there isn't a thread yet about it. Official as per front page news.

Looks like young guys not getting a shot this year

It's the right call IMO. And the kids got their shot (albeit with the bar set pretty high).

None of the younsters really dominated, which is what they would have needed to do to force management to dump a veteran to open up a spot. And as we got into the last couple contests of preseason, and the games approached something somewhat resembling actual NHL hockey, the young guys started to tail off and look less ready.

Still, we have Horvat (19) and Vey (23) on the roster. And three Ds in our top-6 (Tanev, Sbisa, Stanton) are 25 or younger. Matthias is only 26, as is Bonino (who will be our 2nd line centre, with under 200 games of NHL experience).

Guys like Jensen, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Gaunce, etc. will be available for callups and will have a very good chance of sticking in the NHL, if they prove they belong and make the team better.

But so far, the youngsters played great against some weak lineups but also were exposed at times by stronger matchups. They guys sent down still have a lot to learn before they're legitimate NHL players for a full season.

Unless you want to sit them in the press box, they haven't earned spots because they really didn't show they're better than the veterans in any of the starting roles.

We'd have had to make a move and either waive a vet or trade them for a bag of pucks due to our limited negotiating power. This way, we can keep him up until either we suffer an injury, or another team does and wants to give us better value for our vets. The trade deadline is always a good time to maximize value for veteran tweeners.

Meanwhile, Utica gets a top line of Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Jensen, allowing the kids to develop chemistry and play top minutes. As much as I like Jensen and Shinkaruk, this is a good decision.

It's the right call IMO. And the kids got their shot (albeit with the bar set pretty high).

None of the younsters really dominated, which is what they would have needed to do to force management to dump a veteran to open up a spot. And as we got into the last couple contests of preseason, and the games approached something somewhat resembling actual NHL hockey, the young guys started to tail off and look less ready.

Still, we have Horvat (19) and Vey (23) on the roster. And three Ds in our top-6 (Tanev, Sbisa, Stanton) are 25 or younger. Matthias is only 26, as is Bonino (who will be our 2nd line centre, with under 200 games of NHL experience).

Guys like Jensen, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Gaunce, etc. will be available for callups and will have a very good chance of sticking in the NHL, if they prove they belong and make the team better.

But so far, the youngsters played great against some weak lineups but also were exposed at times by stronger matchups. They guys sent down still have a lot to learn before they're legitimate NHL players for a full season.

Unless you want to sit them in the press box, they haven't earned spots because they really didn't show they're better than the veterans in any of the starting roles.

This^. There is definitely a youth movement it just doesn't include Jensen at this time. I would have liked to see him as well but he will have more talent to play with in the AHL this year and that might help his development. I don't think he is far away.

when did people get so bitch about the amount of threads, i dont want to go to jensen talk to read about this because theres a milion discussions going on in that thread

http://forum.canucks.com/forum-26/announcement-16-board-rules-please-read/

Familiarize yourself with these rules. In this case, focus on #4.

Afterall, you agreed to these terms of use when you signed up for an account.

The million discussions in that thread are all about Nic Jensen being waived today. You don't have to read all 137 pages, just the last 2-3.

Archived