The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Michael Grabner out 4-6 weeks

Rick Grimes

New York Islanders forward Michael Grabner is out indefinitely after having sports hernia surgery Thursday, according to Newsday.

On Oct. 6 the Islanders placed Grabner on injured reserve with a lower-body injury, retroactive to Sept. 26.

Grabner had 12 goals and 26 points in 64 games last season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32480&navid=DL|NHL|home

Making a thread for every injury would result in 10-20 new threads a day.

I thought there was a NHL Injury thread ?

Former Canuck for one.

also shhhh. Stop trying to be a mod, it doesn't suit you.

Ari, It's best not to respond to mouth breathers. They are the same people who think there is nothing wrong with texting and driving.

I would like to ask a question. And this is only a big IF. If Gillis kept Grabner and Hodgson, do any of you think that the Canucks would be a SC contender the last couple years. I don.t but there is people that I talk to on other boards that do. Get well soon MG

I don't think Grabner or Hodgson would have made the difference per se, but Gillis made some awful trades over the course of his tenure, which, coupled by bad luck and injuries, cost the Canucks a chance at a cup.

The Ballard trade for Grabner + 1st was awful at the time. (Not using hindsight on this one).

Ballard's salary was overpayment for a defenseman of his calibre and FLA was cash-strapped. Gillis traded away his late 1st AND Grabner for him.

Perhaps it was considered 'asset management' at the time because Grabner was waiver eligible and the Canucks didn't want to lose him for nothing. Maybe they could have considered keeping him on the team to retain the asset then.

Jonathan Cheechoo scored 56 goals once and he sucks now too.

He might not be an NHLer anymore, but saying that he (or Grabner) 'sucks' is a joke. Are you getting paid to make these dumb posts?

The number of total posts that you make on the forum are less than what a marginal NHLer makes in a month.

He might not be an NHLer anymore, but saying that he (or Grabner) 'sucks' is a joke. Are you getting paid to make these dumb posts?

The number of total posts that you make on the forum are less than what a marginal NHLer makes in a month.

Fine, Instead of 'sucks' I will say he's a flash in the pan. It doesn't really matter how you slice it. Grabner isn't as good as many CDC'ers think he is. All his fans are just bitter that MG traded him away and then he scored 30 goals - once. He caught lightning in a bottle due to landing on the PP with Tavares; much like Cheechoo who fell into the lap of the Thornton line. These guys are average to below average players who caught a break and came out smelling like roses for a season or two.

Grabner is probably faster than anyone on the Canucks. Cheechoo was just a dud from the start.

Cheechoo had 56 goals followed by 37 goals the next season. Explain how that is a 'dud from the start'.

Fine, Instead of 'sucks' I will say he's a flash in the pan. It doesn't really matter how you slice it. Grabner isn't as good as many CDC'ers think he is. All his fans are just bitter that MG traded him away and then he scored 30 goals - once. He caught lightning in a bottle due to landing on the PP with Tavares; much like Cheechoo who fell into the lap of the Thornton line. These guys are average to below average players who caught a break and came out smelling like roses for a season or two.

Cheechoo had 56 goals followed by 37 goals the next season. Explain how that is a 'dud from the start'.

Average players don't score 30 goals, even if it's once in a lifetime.

Injuries cripple skilled players. Cheechoo and Grabner are both those players, with injury problems.

Actually, I haven't watched Cheechoo that much but I can say that I was watching Grabner the season when he was traded, and the season after that.

He was most effective on the PK/SH - he had six shorthanded goals that season, all mostly due to breakaways.

His speed was the main reason why he was so good. He also had above-average scoring ability. His defense wasn't that bad, but it's a bit pointless trying to make him into a premier two-way player. He's not going to be a Kesler - that's for sure.

We'll see what he does this season.

Tavares was okay then, but he wasn't 'dominant' like he is now, so that was a moot point. Grabner worked well with Frans Nielsen - after all, they were on the same line together. You clearly didn't watch any of the NYI games. Tavares and Grabner weren't put together as often as you might have thought.

When Grabner was hot, he was hot. He'd go on ridiculous scoring streaks and then go cold for the next little while. Tavares, on the other hand, even then, was a lot more consistent.

Here's an article from 2013:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/3/8/4078156/michael-grabner-best-new-york-islanders-player

Despite recent limited ice time, Michael Grabner is quite clearly one of the best New York Islanders players.

When in May 2011 the New York Islanders signed Michael Grabner ($15 million) and then Kyle Okposo ($14 million) to similar five-year contract extensions, you perhaps didn't know which was the better deal.

Grabner was fresh off the 34-goal season, but the waiver wire pickup was twice rejected by teams in that calendar year, right? And he only really took off during the second half as part of a super line with Frans Nielsen and Okposo, yes? Meanwhile, Okposo had the draft pedigree, the episodes of "beast mode" (particularly under Scott Gordon, who gave him gobs of minutes), and was limited only by the shoulder injury that halved that season.

Today, which signing was more prescient is no longer a question, and that's not a knock on Okposo. Grabner, in the simplest terms, is one of the top New York Islanders on the ice night after night.

His speed alone has always been an almost comically dangerous asset, but since joining the Islanders (h/t Dale Tallon) Grabner has really honed how to use it to constantly disrupt and unsettle opponents.

In the current season, you can point to his goal total (10, third on the team, with the benefit of only one powerplay goal and very little PP time). You can point to his points: 13, best among forwards not on the first line, despite getting a mish-mash of linemates in this short season -- and again, very little powerplay time. Basically, on the Isles there is the top line which gobbles up the majority of O-zone starts and powerplay time, and then there is Grabner, who produces from wherever.

You can point to his 2:53 of PK time per game, which is 13th overall in the league among forwards and second on the team only to defensive uber-Dane Frans Nielsen. (If the Isles were penalized more, his PK log would likely be higher.)

You can also point to the fact that he is getting third-line minutes with a stew of linemates -- yet still producing -- to understand that Michael Grabner is doing more with less than any Islander not named John Tavares. And even granting Tavares' greatness, the "more with less" topic would make for a good debate.

In advanced stats, you can note Grabner's low O-zone start percentage (45.2%, whereas the top line gets around 60% O-zone starts) and his linemates to help understand his negative Corsi rating.

But the real gold is on the PK, where Grabner and Nielsen are in the top 20 in the league in limiting shots against, and Grabner helps generates more shots on the opposing team's goal while shorthanded than any other forward in the league. In a word, the Islanders' penalty kill is effective in part because Grabner makes teams spend more time on the powerplay worrying about their own net than any team reasonably should. He's a one-man shorthanded scoring chance machine, and he creates many of them from his own zone as he disrupts the opposition's powerplay setup.

Isles fans have had their quibbles with him, particularly after his 34-goal outburst was followed up by "only" 20 goals in 2011-12. But if you dwell on his perceived "poor finishing" -- again, he has 10 goals and is shooting at a career high (and probably unsustainable) 16.4% right now -- then you're missing the forest for the trees.

Question: What other player generates even half the number of breakaway scoring chances as Grabner? What player finishes on even 60% of them? Can you think of one? Have you even seen a current player get enough opportunities for you to make a guess? It's not something that's really tracked, but it's a question worth posing to put some context around the complaint. I watch a lot of NHL hockey and can't think of one current player I'd put in the same conversation as far as generating solo and near-solo chances.

Failure to convert like Pavel Bure is not a good reason to knock a player. It'd be like ripping a player who gets six shots in a game because he only scored on one of them. If a team's best defense against an opponent is to tell itself, "Well, at least he won't score on all his breakaways," then that player is doing something right.

Why The Ice Time Drop?

This topic inevitably leads us back to a common debate among Isles fans in recent weeks: Why isn't Grabner getting more ice time? He's been getting 10-11 minutes per game, quite below his season average that is still almost 16 minutes per game. (The five-year contract should be a strong clue that the franchise values him, but if by some mix-up they do not realize his value, then we're in trouble.)

Is the reduced ice time "banishment" or punishment? I highly doubt it. You don't trust a "banished" player with key PK and 4-on-4 minutes.

As if to answer one subtopic of this question, today the Islanders Twitter feed put this out there, fairly out of the blue:

Is it "spreading the offense" or building a "balanced attack" -- a desperate attempt to cobble together four worthwhile lines? Possibly. Particularly as the Isles try, or force feed, his former linemates Nielsen and Okposo with Josh Bailey.

Grabner's "doing something right" creating chances and shooting the puck according to Coach. "He's playing well for us."

I don't think it's the right call though, at least not to this extreme. Spreading the offense has its merits, but shortening the bench late should not cost you a Grabner. Ultimately, you should be able to get a player like this more than 10 minutes a game, even if several of those minutes are labor-intensive PK shifts -- and you shouldn't limit one of your best player's ice time just because the regular linemates he's carrying are liabilities.

One thing is clear though: There aren't many players who can drop to the third line in this way and still produce in limited minutes, still elevate a cast of lesser rotating linemates. Michael Grabner is one of those players.

Ari, It's best not to respond to mouth breathers. They are the same people who think there is nothing wrong with texting and driving.

Speak for yourself how do you know I can't type a message faster than you can change A song in the radio

Edit poor guy I hope He has a speedy recovery

A former 30+ goal scorer, before last season.

He's still raking in more money than you ever would.

I think you're a hater.

He scored 30 goals once, got a huge contract and hasn't done much since honestly. If he wasn't an ex canuck I don't think we'd ever hear his name except in trade threads.

Average players don't score 30 goals, even if it's once in a lifetime.

Injuries cripple skilled players. Cheechoo and Grabner are both those players, with injury problems.

Actually, I haven't watched Cheechoo that much but I can say that I was watching Grabner the season when he was traded, and the season after that.

He was most effective on the PK/SH - he had six shorthanded goals that season, all mostly due to breakaways.

His speed was the main reason why he was so good. He also had above-average scoring ability. His defense wasn't that bad, but it's a bit pointless trying to make him into a premier two-way player. He's not going to be a Kesler - that's for sure.

We'll see what he does this season.

Tavares was okay then, but he wasn't 'dominant' like he is now, so that was a moot point. Grabner worked well with Frans Nielsen - after all, they were on the same line together. You clearly didn't watch any of the NYI games. Tavares and Grabner weren't put together as often as you might have thought.

When Grabner was hot, he was hot. He'd go on ridiculous scoring streaks and then go cold for the next little while. Tavares, on the other hand, even then, was a lot more consistent.

Here's an article from 2013:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/3/8/4078156/michael-grabner-best-new-york-islanders-player

Imagine a Canucks player scored 34 goals once and then followed it up with 20 goals the next season and then never got close again. Everyone would be crying for his head.

Imagine a Canucks player scored 34 goals once and then followed it up with 20 goals the next season and then never got close again. Everyone would be crying for his head.

The 34 goal season was just a couple of seasons or so removed. You're talking about it like he hasn't done it in 5 years.

Is 20 goals really that bad?

You do realize that it's the NYI team were talking about right?

20 goals for a third line is pretty decent.

Did you also read the part where he's placed on the PK a lot and he's on the third line with limited minutes?

Many Islander fans don't like Capuano, but he was also the coach that let Grabner go on his scoring streak too. Capuano recognizes the ability of Grabner. He's a lot better than when he was first drafted. I recall Bob McKenzie saying that he was "one dimensional".

He scored 30 goals once, got a huge contract and hasn't done much since honestly. If he wasn't an ex canuck I don't think we'd ever hear his name except in trade threads.

What are you expecting from a third liner? That's where Grabner has been placed.

He's also on the PK, a lot.

Remember the Sedins being on the PK?

Archived