The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Milbury says time has come to rid NHL of fighting

freebuddy

Fighting isn't causing nearly as man concussions as boarding, taking runs at people, and elbows. If anything needs to be gone, scale back the pads so players can lauch themselves at each other with reckless abandon.

This tidbit of wisdom has been suggested for many many years regarding the NHL, but has no chance of implementation given the NHL's agreements with equipment suppliers. It's one of those circumstances where the right thing should be done but won't.

So Nug is out. Hammertime was too much.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-rnh-gets-in-first-nhl-fight-listed-day-to-day/

The fighting is a love/hate thing for me. Love the action and how it elevates play afterward. Hate that guys get hurt.

If the injury is a result of the fight it was likely because he fought anyone with baby hands. Although, I'm pretty sure you were making a joke.

We can't have it both ways.

There was absolutely no mention of fighting there, but if my problem was fighting, why then did I mention the NFL? Is fighting allowed there? I'd say try and think, but you're too busy making up your own stories to respond to.

:picard:

NFL isn't a fighting sport neither - it's contact and brutal - the average career in the NFL is way less than the NHL.

Fighting isn't "allowed" in the NHL neither - it's a penalty.

Keep dodging, seems what you are good at.

:picard:

NFL isn't a fighting sport neither - it's contact and brutal - the average career in the NFL is way less than the NHL.

Fighting isn't "allowed" in the NHL neither - it's a penalty.

Keep dodging, seems what you are good at.

The NFL wouldn't sit back and let them fight, the NHL would. The NHL allows scrums where people smack each other in the head, and only occasionally call penalties on that. Cross-checks regularly go without penalty in front of the net.

This is all distraction theatre on your part, football and hockey alike are violent sports, the NHL in particular has a hundred year history of fighting being part of the game, being seen as an important part of it. The entire sport is based on a level of violent physicality that has long been socially encouraged since before your grandparents were born.

Watching you try and debate is funny, you create magic arguments to try and argue against, ranging from me saying I'd stop watching hockey due to "fighting" changes, to me "dodging", uh, whatever it is I'm apparently dodging.

I'm well aware of the changes made over the last couple of years, I see the direction the league is going, but watching you suggest fighting has no place in hockey is pure made up nonsense which you can't substantiate. watching you then tell others to go be fans of the UFC is hilarious. This is why I avoid most hockey discussions on this forum, I'd get banned telling people who make these arguments to fuck off. :lol:

The NFL wouldn't sit back and let them fight, the NHL would. The NHL allows scrums where people smack each other in the head, and only occasionally call penalties on that. Cross-checks regularly go without penalty in front of the net.

This is all distraction theatre on your part, football and hockey alike are violent sports, the NHL in particular has a hundred year history of fighting being part of the game, being seen as an important part of it. The entire sport is based on a level of violent physicality that has long been socially encouraged since before your grandparents were born.

Watching you try and debate is funny, you create magic arguments to try and argue against, ranging from me saying I'd stop watching hockey due to "fighting" changes, to me "dodging", uh, whatever it is I'm apparently dodging.

I'm well aware of the changes made over the last couple of years, I see the direction the league is going, but watching you suggest fighting has no place in hockey is pure made up nonsense which you can't substantiate. watching you then tell others to go be fans of the UFC is hilarious. This is why I avoid most hockey discussions on this forum, I'd get banned telling people who make these arguments to frack off. :lol:

Watching you is sad. There's no magic here. All I'm stating is the bleeding obvious. I don't understand why you don't get it. You have no argument whatsoever. Your comprehension is poor or you are just purposely being a troll. I never said fighting has no place in hockey. It's you that make things up and says that other people said this or that when the evidence is clear that they didn't.

Let me try this:

Hockey is NOT like UFC.

Hockey is NOT like Karate.

Hockey is NOT like Mixed Martial Arts.

Hockey is NOT like boxing.

All those are individual sports, that is, they are one on one and they are all based on some form of fighting whereby points are scored by the fighting techniques in them.

Hockey is like Football.

Hockey is like Lacrosse.

Hockey is like Rugby.

These ones are full contact TEAM sports whereby any kind of fighting results in a penalty. No POINTS are awarded to any fights in these sports.

The only difference is the severity of the penalty.

Can you hear me now?

Watching you is sad. There's no magic here. All I'm stating is the bleeding obvious. I don't understand why you don't get it. You have no argument whatsoever. Your comprehension is poor or you are just purposely being a troll. I never said fighting has no place in hockey. It's you that make things up and says that other people said this or that when the evidence is clear that they didn't.

Let me try this:

Hockey is NOT like UFC.

Hockey is NOT like Karate.

Hockey is NOT like Mixed Martial Arts.

Hockey is NOT like boxing.

All those are individual sports, that is, they are one on one and they are all based on some form of fighting whereby points are scored by the fighting techniques in them.

Hockey is like Football.

Hockey is like Lacrosse.

Hockey is like Rugby.

These ones are full contact TEAM sports whereby any kind of fighting results in a penalty. No POINTS are awarded to any fights in these sports.

The only difference is the severity of the penalty.

Can you hear me now?

tl;dr rant..

Apparently you're older than I am, but did you just start watching hockey? This league-wide movement of not rostering fighters/goons is a recent development. Only someone who is new to hockey would suggest fighters have had no purpose in the game, along with fighting. You'll have to justify that statement by explaining why, for all these years, have teams paid for and rostered fighters/goons? Surely if they had no place, professional league teams wouldn't have bothered signing nor playing them, would they? Enlighten us.

Mike "Let's start climbing the stands and fight the fans because it's the olden days and I can get away with assault" Milbury is about the last person in the world I'd ever consider an authority on the matter. That's hilarious he even went there. Oh no, staged fights?!?! What about digging into the fans and fighting them? He would've been charged with assault and banned from the NHL if he played today. LOL.

Almost to a man players from past generations saw the value in players who took up the physical challenge opposing teams used. Those suggesting that pure enforcers are leaving the game because of CAP considerations simply do not see what I do in the game. At a minimum to keep your job as a 4th liner is the ability to skate and do a decent fore check, ala Tom Sestito. A physical player can play a very effective game without fighting. Fighting has become the end of one scale which is reached far less often in today's game. Players still need the ability to self police in hockey.

I like to impose a rule that as soon as you hit 55 you get your media credentials removed because those old farts are the only ones whining about fighting. The day they remove fighting in the nhl is the day i stop watching.

tl;dr rant..

Apparently you're older than I am, but did you just start watching hockey? This league-wide movement of not rostering fighters/goons is a recent development. Only someone who is new to hockey would suggest fighters have had no purpose in the game, along with fighting. You'll have to justify that statement by explaining why, for all these years, have teams paid for and rostered fighters/goons? Surely if they had no place, professional league teams wouldn't have bothered signing nor playing them, would they? Enlighten us.

No, been watching hockey since the early 70's.

I never stated that teams don't need enforcer type players.

All I have said is that the penalty isn't severe enough and that teams get ZERO points for fights.

I like to impose a rule that as soon as you hit 55 you get your media credentials removed because those old farts are the only ones whining about fighting. The day they remove fighting in the nhl is the day i stop watching.

I guess you don't watch many other sports then?

The Flames missed the playoffs one year because Iggy broke a finger in his hand when he was punching and missed over 4 weeks.

Yes, it's not the same sport - but it's not a "fighting" sport.

It's a team sport played on ice.

Anyone who thinks that you can't get a concussion from fighting had probably been concussed and not thinking clearly.

LOL - Ice Hockey is played with sticks so fighting should be allowed! and you think my argument makes no sense?!?!?! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Ice hockey is played with fighting get over it. Your comparisons to other sports are asinine and irrelevant.

Hockey isn't a "running" sport so stop comparing it to "running" sports

It isn't a "ball" sport so stop comparing it to "ball" sports :rolleyes:

I didn't say you can't get concussed from fighting did I. I said you are much more likely to get concussed from a hit so the question is

WHY ARE YOU NOT WANTING HITS REMOVED FROM THE GAME?????

Yes or no.. do you believe fighting causes even 10% of the serious concussions in the game?

If yes please provide evidence.

If you don't have evidence get off your hypocritical strawman filled soapbox.

I remember reading a 10 page Autobiography of Wayne Gretzky when I was 8 years (I think that was like 1992) old he also said that Fighting Should be outlawed.

Then he's an idiot because the only reason he was as successful as he was is because of the policeman that had no job other than fighting for him.

You should really consider changing your alias to Dennis Moore.

No, been watching hockey since the early 70's.

I never stated that teams don't need enforcer type players.

All I have said is that the penalty isn't severe enough and that teams get ZERO points for fights.

Teams get ZERO points for hits

Hits cause the vast majority of injuries and concussions

If you want to watch hits go watch the NFL

Hits should be banned.

Do you disagree? You shouldn't unless you want to do some mental backflips with your logic.

Ice hockey is played with fighting get over it. Your comparisons to other sports are asinine and irrelevant.

Hockey isn't a "running" sport so stop comparing it to "running" sports

It isn't a "ball" sport so stop comparing it to "ball" sports :rolleyes:

I didn't say you can't get concussed from fighting did I. I said you are much more likely to get concussed from a hit so the question is

WHY ARE YOU NOT WANTING HITS REMOVED FROM THE GAME?????

Yes or no.. do you believe fighting causes even 10% of the serious concussions in the game?

If yes please provide evidence.

If you don't have evidence get off your hypocritical strawman filled soapbox.

Hits are part of hockey just as hist are part of football.

It's not a ball sport so don't compare it? So that's your reason to justify fighting in it? LOL

I can do that.

They don't have pucks in UFC so why is there fighting in hockey? :emot-parrot:

All concussions are serious.

I'm not arguing against fighting nor for how many concussions are caused by it.

Hockey is a major team sports industry and compared to other major team sports it's the only one that is lenient on fighting.

If you don't have any evidence that fights do NOT cause concussions then stop wasting my time.

Teams get ZERO points for hits

Hits cause the vast majority of injuries and concussions

If you want to watch hits go watch the NFL

Hits should be banned.

Do you disagree? You shouldn't unless you want to do some mental backflips with your logic.

Hits are part of the game - falls under "Checking" in the Coaching manual.

Please don't compare checking to fighting.

Next.

Archived