The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Gallagher+Three+coaches+have+given+Kassian/10289225/story.html?rel=837260

So here we go again with Zack Kassian.

After leading the team in scoring following the Olympic break last season when the group around him was collapsing, the big right-winger came to training camp this year, got one-and-a-half short looks with Nick Bonino on the second line before being hurt, and then was banished to the nether regions of the lineup.

Now he shuffles back and forth between the third and fourth lines at the coachs whim, and theres not even a sniff on the power play, his name absent from the second unit.

It has happened on such a regular basis that he wont even discuss the topic publicly.

I started out there (on the second line) and then I got hurt, so I ended up starting somewhere else, he said after refusing to say why he doesnt want to talk about his status, frustration perhaps a big reason.

Were going to be a team that uses four lines, so Im going to play somewhere and I honestly think I can help the team no matter what line Im playing on. Were 2-0 after all.

Quite right, and everyone is very happy about that.

But its now three coaches who have treated him in this fashion, Willie Desjardins the latest, although to be fair to the new guy, hes just getting started and finding his way.

But it was largely the same with Alain Vigneault when Kassian first arrived, although the player was much younger and less experienced at the time and frankly, less accomplished.

John Tortorella went out of his way to make sure Kassian got no chance whatsoever to shine, trying everyone but the laundry guy in the dressing room ahead of him when top-six opportunities arose.

And now, after the seemingly mandatory courtesy appearance in that role in the pre-season this year, Desjardins is doing the same.

Part of the problem is that Kassian has been largely unavailable the last two pre-seasons, through suspension last season after he whacked Sam Gagner and missed the first five regular-season games to boot, and this season due to soreness that was never properly explained.

But other than those problems, mistakes or whatever one wishes to call them, all hes done is try to learn the game and get better. And really, what does the pre-season prove? The games mean nothing and most of the players play that way.

And despite what he did last season, hes been quickly passed over for a top-six spot in favour of Chris Higgins, whom the previous regime said they were happy to have as a great seventh forward when they signed him to his present four-year deal.

When Kassian was acquired it was for Cody Hodgson, and it was thought to be an exchange of top quality young players with different assets.

But while Hodgson has found himself on top lines and on every power play, Kassian can never get into an offensive situation. He started the 2013-14 season with the Sedins under Vigneault and had five goals in seven games. Then he made a mistake or two and by game nine he was gone and never seen again despite the fact the Sedins promptly went into a steady, two-year decline that they are hopefully reversing this year.

What is it about this guy that coaches seem to find so objectionable? And are coaches always right?

Consider that Alex Burrows had never been seen as a top-six forward by anyone, especially Vigneault, who had him in Manitoba as well.

But one night in St. Louis, out of sheer desperation, Vigneault threw him on to the Sedin line and by the grace of God the guy scored in the first period he played, a goal that turned his career around.

Had he not had immediate success, its entirely likely that Burrows would still be scuffling around on third and fourth lines.

Kassian has demonstrated in his one run with the Sedins and again after the Olympic break last season that there might be something worth looking at seriously. And by seriously we dont mean a period and a half in an untenable situation like the game in San Jose on the first night of the pre-season.

But for Kassian, that serious look, that serious opportunity, just never seems to come, though his talent is abundantly obvious. It will one day, perhaps this season.

Kassians job is to get over his self-confessed consistency issues and be ready when it does because as he well knows, his window to excel is never open long.

Disregarding the Kassian hate in the article, what do you guys think?

First off want to say sometimes, it feels like a lot of canucks fans don't even want to discuss topics like this, and while they claim it's because these topics are damaging and hysterical, I think it's more that some fans don't like people discussing negative issues around this team. Don't protect the team, that's how long term problems can develop because no one is willing to ask the tough questions. Personally I do think there's something to be concerned about when our power forward who on all accounts looks like he should be a top six player doesn't appear to be earning the trust from any of the coaches he plays for.

IMO, Zack is still a young (just 23) and unique style player who can fit into a number of roles. I really think he brings out the best on whatever line he is on. No question he's good enough at times to be in the top 6, but when he's on the third line (or 4th which doesn't happen really), that line is instantly more dangerous. He is a guy that can be physical in the corners and provide a scoring touch. He is a key component of having a strong depth core, and in my opinion that is more valuable than just keeping him on the second line, just because they don't want to move him around.

I personally think it's all that plus a combination of a lot of things, like the depth we have at wing, that it's onl been 2 games into the season so this certainly will not be set in concrete. I mean Zack has all the tools but it's odd why the coaches haven't used him consistently on the 2nd line. I'm sure WD will eventually but maybe it's about consistency since he has all the tools and is doing all the right things year after year. On the fence as a 3rd/2nd liner, it's just a matter of a time he breaks through or stays where he is.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Gallagher+Three+coaches+have+given+Kassian/10289225/story.html?rel=837260

Disregarding the Kassian hate in the article, what do you guys think?

First off want to say sometimes, it feels like a lot of canucks fans don't even want to discuss topics like this, and while they claim it's because these topics are damaging and hysterical, I think it's more that some fans don't like people discussing negative issues around this team. Don't protect the team, that's how long term problems can develop because no one is willing to ask the tough questions. Personally I do think there's something to be concerned about when our power forward who on all accounts looks like he should be a top six player doesn't appear to be earning the trust from any of the coaches he plays for.

IMO, Zack is still a young (just 23) and unique style player who can fit into a number of roles. I really think he brings out the best on whatever line he is on. No question he's good enough at times to be in the top 6, but when he's on the third line (or 4th which doesn't happen really), that line is instantly more dangerous. He is a guy that can be physical in the corners and provide a scoring touch. He is a key component of having a strong depth core, and in my opinion that is more valuable than just keeping him on the second line, just because they don't want to move him around.

I personally think it's all that plus a combination of a lot of things, like the depth we have at wing, that it's onl been 2 games into the season so this certainly will not be set in concrete. I mean Zack has all the tools but it's odd why the coaches haven't used him consistently on the 2nd line. I'm sure WD will eventually but maybe it's about consistency since he has all the tools and is doing all the right things year after year. On the fence as a 3rd/2nd liner, it's just a matter of a time he breaks through or stays where he is.

I dont get Kassian hate in that article..I get frustration along with a lot of us that Kass isnt getting a shot at the 2nd line or any PP time..1 split squad game isnt really a good sample size.

He also seems to have the shortest leash on the team..ending up being demoted after a few shifts..I dont get it myself.

without any games to write about these sorts of articles always pop up to stir the pot.

I am a big Kass believer but he is still young. I, along with almost every other canucks fan, am still waiting for him to be more consistent but to be fair to kass we don't have a large enough sample size to deem him inconsistent this season. We have played 2 games! There are 80 more games left for big kass to prove himself, and i believe he will.

Our line up is quite diverse with the amount of forward depth and the ability to role 4 lines. Kass is also a versatile player that can play anywhere in the line up. I don't see it as a demotion because he isn't playing with Bonino, if anything I see it as Coach Willie balancing the lines.

It is too early to judge Kassian this season. Lets get our feet wet first.

I dont get Kassian hate in that article..I get frustration along with a lot of us that Kass isnt getting a shot at the 2nd line or any PP time..1 split squad game isnt really a good sample size.

He also seems to have the shortest leash on the team..ending up being demoted after a few shifts..I dont get it myself.

And it wasn't even top-6 to bottom-6. He went from the third-line to the fourth-line.

Which Province idiot scribbled that?

Makes no difference - whomever it was, I can tell without reading it that it aint worth the read.

Such bitchee, predictable dimwits.

The irony - recycled article printed on recycled pulp. Is it a word-for-word of the crybabying of last year, V2.0?

WD doesn't need the Province's advice regarding how to utilize his players.

There's nothing wrong with the coach, nothing wrong with Kassian, nothing wrong with 3rd line minutes, and no reason to whine about a young forward not playing in a damn good top 6 yet.

I think that a line comprised of burrows - horvat - kassian could be an effective line.

Good mix of speed and grit with the ability to pot some goals. Burr would provide the forecheck that could lead to some offensive opportunities.

Finding the right combo for the bottom 6 is tough.. Kass has shown chemistry with Richardson but Rich is the ideal 4th line center. Hopefully kass can get something going with HOrvat. I think a lot would be solved if Mathias could become even remotely noticable at wing.

For now he's not good enough defensively to be put on a checking assignment. He can hit, yes, but is fairly undisciplined and can look disinterested in backchecking. This is typical for a young power forward.

He also isn't quick or consistent enough to be put on a top scoring line for more than spurts.

That means he's going to be put on a secondary scoring line or the 4th line, depending on how his night goes. This is going to last all season long if the team remains healthy.

We have to realize that just because we traded Hodgson for him, that doesn't mean we should put high expectations on him. He's for now progressing just like any young power forward would. He'll show us flashes of physical dominance and scoring, but will largely frustrate us for large chunks of the season at a time.

To me, it's far more important for the Canucks to save him for when a deep playoff run comes about.

Dustin Byfuglien and Byron Bickell: Those really big players were not used all that much by the Hawks in their recent cup seasons until deeper into the playoffs when Kane and Toews found it harder to get to the net. The big guy simply creates more space. We've seen this during the Bertuzzi/Naslund heydey. Big Bert's presense in front of the net allowed Naslund to snipe from afar relatively uncontested. Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the same scenario played with Holmstrom, and recently Abdelkader. It's a proven way to score. And in a cap world it's important to have these guys, but NOT overpay them. Chicago traded Byfuglien when he was due to be overpaid and now Bickell is overpaid. So a plan to win with smaller top-6 forwards should include a big guy on a entry-level or at least an RFA contract.

But will Kassian be busting out offensively when the Canucks are ready to win? That's tough to say. There are a lot of other areas to address soon.

Bottom line is that we need to stop worrying about Kassian. He's progressing as-expected. Hopefully things with the team work out and he'll be on our strong top-6 during our rebuilt winning team, rather than be a weak top-6 floater on a loser team like Hodgson's Sabres.

Three things.

1: Quite honestly, he hasn't looked anything like a top six forward so far this season (and going back to preseason). You have to earn your spot..

2: After the Sedin line, our lineup is fairly interchangeable, and all of the lines seem to be getting their share of ice time. Just because he's on the "4th" line doesn't mean he's going to get 3 minutes of ice time, or that he's not going to have quality linemates.

3: He'll get his chance. Considering what our lineup looks like after the Sedin line, it's fairly obvious that he'll get another shot at playing a "top six" role.

He simply hasn't earned it to be in the top six.

He looks very disinterested in the play and gives up on it quite easily instead of grinding it out. He has to find something to help flip that switch on cause he can be a very dangerous player, but he only brings it every so often.

WD and coaching staff have every right to put him in the bottom six as of right now, he hasn't shown anything to prove that he belongs in the top six throughout the preseason and the first two games.

The way I see it, Kassian isn't as good as the players currently on the 2nd line. You could argue that he's better than Higgins, but only in flashes. Higgins is consistent, unlike Kassian.

Aside from that Willie's lines see much different that the standard ones. He doesn't really have two scoring lines and two checking lines. Rather, he seems to have two purely offensive lines, and two scoring lines that also have a bit of grit. What's different is that we seem to be running four lines that all have the potential to score. No one on our forward roster is really a 3-goals-a-season kind of guy (though *Dorsett is close).

*Dorsett had 4 goals last year, but in just 51 games, so pro-rated, he would've had more like 6-ish.

My points is that, ideally, under Willie's line system, the 3rd line should still be able to score, and so Kassian should still be able to produce a bit.

Archived