The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

I'm going to argue that, on this team, 5v5 minutes are going to be the biggest consideration for a 'demotion' not the line one given player is moved to. If we want to role 4 lines then we need talent on all 4 lines. Yea, the '4th' clocks less time throughout 60 minutes. Kassian has hit the name even strength TOI as Richardson, Vey, and is almost comparable to Higgins stretching the argument. Hansen Dorsett and Matthias are all over 2 minutes less than Kassian. He is arguably playing '3rd' line minutes so far this season. so far, '3rd' line minutes have only seperated '2nd' line minutes by one minute average. That's not a whole lot.

Obviously Hansen and Matthias are getting the short end of the stick. Dorsett's role kind of warrants the shorter toi. Also, of course, it's only been two games. If Kassian gets deployed less 5v5, then I would argue he is getting demoted.

It's pointless for the writer to compare Hodgson's situation (first line, pp) with Kassian's. Buffalo hasn't got the roster depth that the Canucks have. For sure nobody anywhere the calibre of the Sedins/Vrbata to play on their first line. Also, with Kassian being a year younger than Hodgson, they're at different stages in their development. Most likely next season, Kassian will play a bigger role too.

Which Province idiot scribbled that?

Makes no difference - whomever it was, I can tell without reading it that it aint worth the read.

Such bitchee, predictable dimwits.

The irony - recycled article printed on recycled pulp. Is it a word-for-word of the crybabying of last year, V2.0?

WD doesn't need the Province's advice regarding how to utilize his players.

There's nothing wrong with the coach, nothing wrong with Kassian, nothing wrong with 3rd line minutes, and no reason to whine about a young forward not playing in a damn good top 6 yet.

Here, Here...

Which Province idiot scribbled that?

Makes no difference - whomever it was, I can tell without reading it that it aint worth the read.

Such bitchee, predictable dimwits.

The irony - recycled article printed on recycled pulp. Is it a word-for-word of the crybabying of last year, V2.0?

WD doesn't need the Province's advice regarding how to utilize his players.

There's nothing wrong with the coach, nothing wrong with Kassian, nothing wrong with 3rd line minutes, and no reason to whine about a young forward not playing in a damn good top 6 yet.

^ this

and add to the fact only 2 friggen games have been played and he has looked fine.

Uhh... Is two games he's had under Desjardins really even worth criticizing at this point?

It's been two games. Plus he's scored.

I just don't get what this article is trying to get across by trying to say that Desjardins has given him a shot and taken it away after 2 freakin' games.

I actually think it's a matter of conditioning. He seems to run out of gas faster then anyone on the team. He's a big strong guy but he just can't seem to keep up a hard pace long enough & conditioning is something every coach would certainly notice in practice.

I could see Kassian being trade bait...

I could see a lot of teams wanting him...it might be best for both parties,, Kass gets out from under Vancouvers microscope and throw in another player and with Kassians relatively low cap hit (1.75) you would probably get a good serviceable player back.

I would hate to see him go before he blossoms into a dominating player..but the kid is a huge lightening rod in this city...he will want out soon anyway.

I don't think the analysis on this is very legitimate at all. Seems rather silly, even by its own admission.

1) The article even states that Kassian was a lot younger and inexperienced during his time with Vigneault. So it doesn't prove very much, does it?

2) What player actually had a good year under Tortorella? It was career-bad years all around. So again, what does this prove?

3) We've played TWO games with Desjardins as coach. So it seems like a huge stretch to extrapolate much from that, wouldn't you say?

Kassian is just fine, his time will come, and it's soon.

Torts did get him to be a bit more controlled last year he picks his hits better, he can pass well (a big plus), his conditioning has been mentioned, (as for personal stuff don't really want to go there), his placement in front of the net is important because that's where he should reap dividends from esp garbage goals, one thing is playing the puck in his skates along the boards he seems to lose track the puck too easily, this is something he needs work on.

All in all I think the politics of the trade should be forgotten let's just stick to hockey.

This season his game is a solid 4th could be a 3rd liner, with an 2nd line upside if he puts it all together, he's been a pro for a while now he knows what he needs to do. It's totally up to him now.

If he could channel Tiger Williams I would be a happy man :)

There's no vast anti-Kassian conspiracy going on. The author is just bending over and pulling stories out of his rear end.

Let the year play out before judging Kassian. If his play time and skill hasn't budged marginally forward by the end of it, then that would be the time to be concerned. Bringing up the old trade is pointless. The two are in entirely different situations.

Archived