The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

Jägermeister

I know we must have some people on here who are in to travelling, and I'm sure there is a lot of interesting trips, questions, recommendations, and stories people have to share!

The past 2 summers I have been to Europe for 5 weeks each time. Both times staying primarily in hostels and the odd apartment rental. Interestingly enough, both these trips were brought on by a desire to attend a musical festival (the first in Belgium, the second in Croatia).

Summer 1 consisted of mostly the Western, started of in Munich before rolling through Italy, the South of France, Barcelona, Paris, Belgium (just for the music festival), Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and then back to Munich. Summer 2 was spent more so in the Eastern region. Started off in Budapest, then spent around 3 weeks along the coast in Croatia, before heading to Ljubljana (Slovenia).

Without a doubt, Prague and Budapest have been my favourite cities. Both are incredibly cheap, filled with tons of things to do, have beautiful views and architecture, and crazy nightlife. Would recommend to anybody who is ever planning on going to Europe, especially since they may be afterthoughts in some peoples mind compared to more glitzy cities like Paris and Rome.

This coming year I am going to travel to Australia for a month (first time travelling alone), then am going straight to Southeast Asia for just over 3 months. Again, primarily going to stay in hostels.

In Australia I am currently planning on going to Surfers Paradise, Airlie Beach, the Whitsundays, Byron Bay, Melbourne, and Canberra, and I have to go to Perth (flying to Cambodia afterwards), Cairns (to fly to Perth) and Sydney (flying in for Vancouver).

So mostly just the East Coast, but I would love to go check out the outback and Ayer's Rock for a few days if feasible.

Then in Southeast Asia I am going to be starting in Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Since this trip is going to be quite long, it is going to be relatively unstructured and laid-back, and hasn't really been fully planned at the moment outside of the very general (dates and countries).

I would love to hear if anyone has been to Australia or Southeast Asia and would have any recommendations!

Do you have an approximate date for when you're going to Southeast Asia? Myself and a few friends may potentially be headed down there as well. Would love to hear some tips and stories from people who have been to the area (primarily Vietnam and Cambodia). We'll also be staying in hostels.

Cambodia was awesome. Thailand was ho hum, very touristy. Easier to get around, but just ho hum.

Phnom Penh was great. I can imagine you either love it or hate it, but I loved it. Angkor Wat is awesome, super touristy obviously, but still awesome. Watched monkeys having sex right beside us on the trail.

I've been pretty luck to travel as much as I have...right around the world a couple of times. You learn so much you can't learn anywhere else.

Do you have an approximate date for when you're going to Southeast Asia? Myself and a few friends may potentially be headed down there as well. Would love to hear some tips and stories from people who have been to the area (primarily Vietnam and Cambodia). We'll also be staying in hostels.

Landing in Siem Raep on the 17th of February. Flying out of Jakarta on May 12th. Everything in between in up in the air at this point.

As far as Vietnam goes I've heard that Halong Bay is the only definite "can't miss". And with scenery like this:

11+Halong+Bay+%25E2%2580%2594+Vietnam.jp'

It is definitely going to be somewhere I'm checking out.

Also had a lot of recommendation to taking a scooter or motorcycle and doing some cruising from Saigon.

Cambodia sounds pretty interesting, but I haven't looked into it too much. Obviously Ankor Wat will be worth checking out. I've heard from a few people that in many places in Cambodia, you can practically do whatever you want if you have the money. Heard one story (I have some doubts in it's truth) about a guy who went and shot RPG's at cows in a field. Regardless I've heard it is quite wild.

i wish i had the interest, patience, and nerve to care about hot spots like thailand.

truth is, if there's not a world class western museum nearby, and at least five buildings with ionic order columns on my block, then i probably am not that interested

Wife and I are heading to North Dakota in March.

May I ask what for?

I'm gonna admit I'm uneducated about what there is in North Dakota besides cold.

I'd skip stuff like Ayers rock, do you really want to take a few days just to see a giant rock? Canberra is pretty boring from what I've heard.

Yeah, like I said it's would be cool, but I don't think I have the time for it.

I've heard the same about Brisbane. From what I gather the large cities in Australia (outside of Sydney and Melbourne) are pretty standard, and not much different from how Vancouver is.

May I ask what for?

I'm gonna admit I'm uneducated about what there is in North Dakota besides cold.

Live near Winnipeg, and heading down to Fargo, ND is something people just do all the time. I first remember going to Fargo back when I was 5 years old. Our family would literally go at least once a year for long weekends. In total, I've been to Fargo no less than 25 times.

Also, whenever I fly to a destination outside of Canada (except Cuba), we always leave from either Grand Forks (2 hours away) or Fargo (3 hours away). The flights are so much cheaper; at least $500 per person, after gas and parking the vehicle.

Went on my honeymoon to st.lucia in the carribean last September. Was amazing . Stayed at sandals grande ( highly reccomend) we will go back. Carribean is a magical place.

Then went to austrailia ans the phillipines for 3 weeks in late august. Austrailia was a great country. Melbourne is a terrific city. As is Sydney.

Stayed in manila for 4 days ( awful city) worst place I've ever been. Avoid at all costs . ( we only went there because my wife has family there. Then stayed in boracay for 5 nights. Great beach , cool place. Beautiful water. Then went to cebu for 3 days. Better than manila , unfortunately got food poisening and couldn't leave the hotel room.

Went to Hawaii when I was young as well as England and Scotland.

I highly reccomend the carribean. Fell in love with that place.

Wife and I are heading to North Dakota in March.

On your motorbike?

As far as the OP, I'm not into travelling "far far away".

Farthest countries outside of Canada and the US I've been are Mexico and the Dominican Republic (lived there 2 years as a kid).

If I had the opportunity, I would like to go to England(see some long distant relatives), some other parts of the Europe as well as the Canary Islands.

The kind of "travel" I have been into is via my motorbike - nothing quite compares to the feeling of freedom and awe whilst travelling in that manner.

Live near Winnipeg, and heading down to Fargo, ND is something people just do all the time. I first remember going to Fargo back when I was 5 years old. Our family would literally go at least once a year for long weekends. In total, I've been to Fargo no less than 25 times.

Also, whenever I fly to a destination outside of Canada (except Cuba), we always leave from either Grand Forks (2 hours away) or Fargo (3 hours away). The flights are so much cheaper; at least $500 per person, after gas and parking the vehicle.

Ah, if your from Winnipeg I suppose that makes more sense.

Kind of like us Vancouverites heading down to Bellingham or Seattle then.

Went on my honeymoon to st.lucia in the carribean last September. Was amazing . Stayed at sandals grande ( highly reccomend) we will go back. Carribean is a magical place.

Then went to austrailia ans the phillipines for 3 weeks in late august. Austrailia was a great country. Melbourne is a terrific city. As is Sydney.

Stayed in manila for 4 days ( awful city) worst place I've ever been. Avoid at all costs . ( we only went there because my wife has family there. Then stayed in boracay for 5 nights. Great beach , cool place. Beautiful water. Then went to cebu for 3 days. Better than manila , unfortunately got food poisening and couldn't leave the hotel room.

Went to Hawaii when I was young as well as England and Scotland.

I highly reccomend the carribean. Fell in love with that place.

Yeah I have heard some conflicting stuff about Manila, and quite frankly the Philippines as a whole. It was originally in my plans for my trip but it fell out pretty quickly.

St. Lucia <3

Went there on a cruise while I was in High School, arguably the most beautiful place I have ever been. Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay was spectacular. Unfortunately I was there briefly, and wasn't able to really check out the Pitons.

ReduitBeachLookingSouth.jpg

Antigua is a close second in the Carribean, Dickenson Bay Beach is amazing.

dickenson-bay.jpg

More like Bellingham, except a little bigger. Our Seattle would be Minneapolis, except it's a 7 hour drive away, instead of like a 3-4 hour drive. While I absolutely love Minneapolis, there is never a reason to drive that far.

Yeah I have heard some conflicting stuff about Manila, and quite frankly the Philippines as a whole. It was originally in my plans for my trip but it fell out pretty quickly.

St. Lucia <3

Went there on a cruise while I was in High School, arguably the most beautiful place I have ever been. Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay was spectacular. Unfortunately I was there briefly, and wasn't able to really check out the Pitons.

ReduitBeachLookingSouth.jpg

Antigua is a close second in the Carribean, Dickenson Bay Beach is amazing.

dickenson-bay.jpg

I know this none of my business, but are you super rich or something?

I mean from your posts it seems like you have travelled half of the world already..

I mean from your posts it seems like you have travelled half of the world already..

Neither of my daughters are rich, yet both have been to Europe and not on my dollar.

Yes, it costs money to travel but people seem to figure out a way no matter their financial status.

Not really, no more than you're average person in Greater Vancouver. My family took me to Hawaii and Mexico a few times, and I went with them on the Caribbean trip.

Ever since I finished high school I've funded my own trips thanks to a really well paying part-time job and just doing a good job of saving my money.

Further proof, I drive a $500 car.

Also of note, staying in hostels is very inexpensive. My two Europe trips were basically airfare, plus a $100 a day budget.

Same budget for my upcoming trip to Australia, and planning on somewhere around $50 a day in most places Southeast Asia.

Not really, no more than you're average person in Greater Vancouver. My family took me to Hawaii and Mexico a few times, and I went with them on the Caribbean trip.

Ever since I finished high school I've funded my own trips thanks to a really well paying part-time job and just doing a good job of saving my money.

Further proof, I drive a $500 car.

Also of note, staying in hostels is very inexpensive. My two Europe trips were basically airfare, plus a $100 a day budget.

Same budget for my upcoming trip to Australia, and planning on somewhere around $50 a day in most places Southeast Asia.

Damn Unions :emot-parrot:

Archived