The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tempers flare after Kesler's late charge on Granlund, gets buried by Parise

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/its-stupid-tempers-flare-after-keslers-late-charge-on-granlund/

The Anaheim Ducks managed a third-period comeback and 2-1 victory against the Minnesota Wild on Friday, but it was a late hit at the buzzer that caused tempers to flare.

Ryan Kesler caught Wild forward Mikael Granlund with a hit along the boards in the neutral zone just as time was about to expire in the third period. Not only was it a heavy hit, Kesler had Granlund lined up for quite a bit, coming from the middle of the ice to get his shot in.

major penalty for charging. Minnesotas Zach Parise, a past U.S. Olympic teammate of Kesler, jumped into the bout and was given a major penalty for cross checking.

Games over. Its stupid, Parise told Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

The Wild entered this game having not allowed a goal, shutting out the Colorado Avalanche in back-to-back games. That streak looked like it might continue, until Ducks forward Andrew Cogliano scored short handed at the 4:02 mark of the third period.

Corey Perry scored the winner just past the midway point of the third period.

Minnesota goalie Darcy Kuemper saw his shutout streak to begin the season end at 163 minutes and 46 seconds, according to Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register.

Below is a clip of the Kesler charge:

kesler_hit.gif

Nice to see Kesler has been playing well in Anaheim. As for this play, unneccessary like Parise said afterwards.

I remember when Kesler used to be a pest in his early years here but after 2010, hen cleaned up his game quite a bit and that's when he broke out. Never was a dirty player really after 2010 and before that, was more of a pest, an annoying player. Hope he doesn't go back to his old ways. Going halfway across the ice to hit Granlund as time expires, no need for that even if you're the biggest competitor out there.

People are overreacting. Was a clean hit. He didn't jump and it was shoulder to shoulder. Granlund didn't even fall down. No way in hell is that a 5 minute major for boarding. It's not even a penalty. Was it unnecessary? Yes. But big deal. I'm sure Granlund will live.

People are overreacting. Was a clean hit. He didn't jump and it was shoulder to shoulder. Granlund didn't even fall down. No way in hell is that a 5 minute major for boarding. It's not even a penalty. Was it unnecessary? Yes. But big deal. I'm sure Granlund will live.

LMAo ! In what realm ? Granlund has no idea he is coming that is called a blind side.

I have a problem with what constitutes late hits. It seems as though they're only really late if the passer doesn't see it coming. For example, most of Zack Kassian's hits today were on the forecheck, and time-wise they are technically really late (probably a full second). The defender obviously sees it coming everytime and avoids it or just takes a glancing blow. Typical forechecking hockey, right? But what if the passer puts himself in a vulnerable position? Maybe passing it up and picking up the glove or helmet you dropped? Or if he is stupid and just gets pasted? I mean, then people would start calling it a "late hit" and some would strongly suggest it was a dirty play.

LMAo ! In what realm ? Granlund has no idea he is coming that is called a blind side.

It's shoulder to shoulder. What's Kesler supposed to do!? Ask Granlund politely to look at him before he hits him or something....

Clean hit. It was unnecessary though and that's why everyone made a big deal out of it.

It's shoulder to shoulder. What's Kesler supposed to do!? Ask Granlund politely to look at him before he hits him or something....

Clean hit. It was unnecessary though and that's why everyone made a big deal out of it.

Let me fly into you from the blind spot at pretty good speed and then we will talk. This is exactly the type of trash that players are hated for.

Let me fly into you from the blind spot at pretty good speed and then we will talk. This is exactly the type of trash that players are hated for.

He didn't come flying in. It was SHOULDER TO SHOULDER.

That's a legit hockey hit. Stop whining. Such a softy...

He didn't come flying in. It was SHOULDER TO SHOULDER.

That's a legit hockey hit. Stop whining. Such a softy...

Still from the blind spot bud. Have you ever played the game on the ice? If you dont know it is coming shoulder to shoulder dont mean sh...

Dont think it is crazy bad but still a cheap hit. AS for not flying in ? did you even watch the hit in real time lol

Archived