The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Graphics Competitions?

Parise11

I am looking to gauge the interest in some more graphics comptetitions. I know we have SOTW, and it's great, but I'd like to see some different ideas being brough forward as well. I'd love to get a discussion going on ideas for different competitions/tournaments.

It would be great if there were a variety so that beginners could participate as well, and hopefully we could gain more interest in the Creative and Media Forum. Here were a couple ideas I had:

Sig Wars: This started up sometime last year I believe. I thought it was great, but unfortunately for a number of reasons it didn't stick around long. It had great potential though, and I think it would be fun to start that up again.

Wallpaper of the Month: Similar to SOTW but for wallpapers monthly. There are some really talented artists on here, who come up with great wallpapers, so a monthly competition could be really interesting.

Bracket style tournaments: For this tournament we would have matchups. Each matchup would have a render/image they need to incorporate into the design. Members could then vote on their favorites from each pairing until we crowned an eventual winner.

Those are just some ideas I have been kicking around, I'd love to hear any of yours.

Yeah, I like the idea of having a couple of more competitions alongside 'SOTW', now that Creative Forum has been pretty active for a while and there are more people who are into sigs and art now. It would be cool if we can bring back 'Signature Wars' again, either hosted by the same member from last year, who still visits this forum, I believe, or another person. Another thing we can do which was done a while back is have 'Guess Who's Sig' competition. Pretty much, you submit a sig in and then everyone tries to guess who made the sig. 'WOTM' and bracket style tournaments are interesting ideas too.

I am looking to gauge the interest in some more graphics comptetitions. I know we have SOTW, and it's great, but I'd like to see some different ideas being brough forward as well. I'd love to get a discussion going on ideas for different competitions/tournaments.

It would be great if there were a variety so that beginners could participate as well, and hopefully we could gain more interest in the Creative and Media Forum. Here were a couple ideas I had:

Sig Wars: This started up sometime last year I believe. I thought it was great, but unfortunately for a number of reasons it didn't stick around long. It had great potential though, and I think it would be fun to start that up again.

Wallpaper of the Month: Similar to SOTW but for wallpapers monthly. There are some really talented artists on here, who come up with great wallpapers, so a monthly competition could be really interesting.

Bracket style tournaments: For this tournament we would have matchups. Each matchup would have a render/image they need to incorporate into the design. Members could then vote on their favorites from each pairing until we crowned an eventual winner.

all of which have been done back in 2007, when i'd say, was when the creative forum was at its peak. this forum will never, ever, be at that point again, due to everyone just having better stuff to do with their time than making sigs on cdc. back in 2007, we had a couple of guys who were legit graphics artists who came up with amazing sigs and wallpapers (no, not just pfizer), at the time. with how far photoshop and tutorials have come, they'd be seen as novice work

to put things in to perspective

in 2014: we have, vintagecanuck, pariseguy, some guy named bure something, as the names at the top of my head, as the de facto guys who make sigs for everyone-- but VC is the man for everyone's needs

in 2007: there was myself, chiklets, pfizer, syntax, lovekesler, rinslet, modoexpress, meninblue (argon), gbassi, canuck munkey, paranoia, osmun, lindenforprez-- i forgot wut his name was after that (vintage sig month guy), but he was still kicking here when i came back in 2011, but disappeared-- then there were maybe 4 or 5 more guys i can't quite remember, but for me to remember 7 years ago of above names, at the state i was in at the time, shows the rapid decline of this forum to where it's almost not even needed anymore

out of all the names listed in 2007, only me and gbassi remain

this is a sig i made in, had to be mid-2007. at the time, this was considered "good." looking back now, not so much. my style hasn't change much since then, but i've made subtle changes to little things where i don't think my work is absolute ****. i still have sigs i've made back in 2007/2008 to look back at my old work. maybe i'm a glutten for punishment

sakicsig55663.png

i don't mean to rain on your parade, but to bring interest back to this forum is a very tall moutain to climb, to where you'll only have the same 4 names, who post in here now, in these little contests

Archived