The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why don't the Oilers try to sign Brodeur?

Stefan

Started to think about where Brodeur will end up this year, and was wondering why the Oilers haven't taken a stab at signing him.

Literally anything would be better than their goaltending duo right now, let alone a proven goalie who might still be able to help on the ice, let alone off the ice...

There is an argument that he is overrated, however, even valued at half of what he's done in his career, and with his numbers looking somewhat decent last year, I don't see why the Oilers don't take the chance. Could be a motivational guy for the entire team.

Whadaya think?

In regards to "Brodeur wants to be on a contender".

What if contenders don't want him? (This seems to be the case, currently at least.)
From what I've read his only real shot would be Colorado due to their goaltending woes currently. Even if they sign him, what are the odds he sticks when their #1 and #2 come back?

I hate Edmonton just as much as the next Canucks fan, but I don't think they're as far gone as everyone says they are. Sure their record is terrible, and they've let in a ton of goals... Season is early, and the biggest thing seperating them from winning and losing is a goaltender. I think if they get goaltending they might be able to make the playoffs.

Anyway, Brodeur can stick to the "I want to be on a contender" mindset, but it might mean he just has to retire.

Scrivens, Fasth and even Bachman aren't that bad, but the team in front of them is playing terrible. Brodeur would do nothing to help that even if he did want to sign with a bottom feeder team that has tonnes of travel, which he doesn't.

At this point in his career I don't think Brodeur is a massive upgrade on Scrivens or Fasth. They are both capable goalies and can win games if the team in front of them isn't a total disaster. Another goalie makes no sense unless it's a Miller, Quick, Schneider, Luongo, or Price type that is really a step above what they have now.

Edmonton is missing a 2 top pairing D men and a First and third line center. Draisaitl or whatever needs to go back to junior and they need to move a winger like Eberle and a couple picks for some help down the middle, and a real dman.

Archived