The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kings Slava Voynov suspended, Domestic Violence

Mackcanuck

This is a major reason why males who are victims of domestic abuse stay quiet. It's not a good practice at all.

I understand that there are a plethora of examples that males tend to be the aggressor more than women - and I'm sure we both agree that not all males are like this.

I'm tired of the stereotypes. I've had some female friends go on sexist rants. It almost made me want to ditch them. But apparently, it's totally okay to do it, provided that there's some underlying reason behind it (i.e. Women = DV Victims).

That doesn't mean that they themselves have never been victims; it's just that they blame male for some kind of 'culture' - when really, that isn't the case at all.

Also, the 'rape culture' nonsense. That's garbage too. It's some excuse.

I can agree with this from experience. Too often men are being bullied with these steriotypes. We have to live in fear that a woman will complain to someone that we hurt them. To the point that the abuse that a man goes through is kept to himself for fear of the ease at which it can be flipped onto him.

While I believe Slavas case is pretty open and shut, I do not believe that they all are. We do not know the whole story. Not that physical violence against anyone is acceptable. Sometimes a person can be attacked many times before they strike back.

I can agree with this from experience. Too often men are being bullied with these steriotypes. We have to live in fear that a woman will complain to someone that we hurt them. To the point that the abuse that a man goes through is kept to himself for fear of the ease at which it can be flipped onto him.

While I believe Slavas case is pretty open and shut, I do not believe that they all are. We do not know the whole story. Not that physical violence against anyone is acceptable. Sometimes a person can be attacked many times before they strike back.

For all we know, Slava Voynov could be a victim of verbal abuse, as unlikely as it may seem. It's best not to reserve judgement until the case is cleared and all the evidence presented.

But noooooooo, people want to make a judgement right now because they're itching to put a blame on someone.

This doesn't have anything to do with 'justifying' domestic violence, as some people might bring that up. This is more about being fair to both people. An incident happened - an investigation NEEDS to happen - evidence?

Women have made false accusations before regarding rape, etc. Do all women do this? Absolutely not.

No gender is inherently holier than the other.

He's probably screwed for several reasons...

Ray Rice

The Redondo Police have pictures of his hospitalized girlfriend, whose injuries were shocking enough to call the police. As soon as the Smoking Gun or TMZ gets ahold of them, the pressure will skyrocket to get rid of him and it won't go away.

The NHL is an easy target and it always has been, the only time it makes the mainstream news in the US is when something crazy happens. Combine that with an explosive topical issue like domestic violence and a lengthy trial and you have the perfect storm for an extended barrage of criticism in the media, especially from those who are in the tank for the NFL.

The DA doesn't need the victim's permission to press charges and they can also force the victim to testify under penalty of jail and if the California DAs are elected officials, they are probably going to act like political animals, even moreso if they're in an election cycle ie. think Mike Nilfong but with evidence

Domestic violence convictions are deportable offences for foreign nationals, not to mention they can carry a significant jail term, even a misdemeanor can land someone in the clink for a year.

This is very very true in BC specifically, as far as I know. I think other provinces have very similar mandates.

I can't recall if the victim would be charged for obstruction of justice though, if they refuse to testify, but I guess it would make sense.

Dom Vio should be taken more seriously.

I get pretty sick to hear that a woman stays with a man that has beaten her (and more). That and other women going out to find these neanderthals to adopt, like a lost pet.

Just going to post this since it just happened to a friend of mine:

My friend and his live-in Girlfriend (the place is his) got into an argument about 4 nights ago. They had company over (another couple who was friends with his GF) at the time. My friend asked the company to leave and they did.

The argument continued for a little bit but then the whole situation calmed downed. However the girlfriend was pretty intoxicated and during the argument she dropped her cell phone into her drink and it died. My friend went to grab the cell phone out of the drink at the same time his GF did and the glass broke and cut her hand (like literally a scratch). At this point they were no longer fighting whatsoever and it was just a complete accident.

I guess the couple they had over for company tried to call the GF a bunch of times but since her phone was dead and they couldn't get a hold of her they phoned the police to check in on her.

Three police officers (2 male, 1 female) showed up at My friend's house. My friend explained the whole situation to the two male officers while the female officer was questioning his GF in another room.

The two male officers understood the whole situation and explained to my friend that they have to check out every call that has any possibility of being domestic violence. But they realized it was just a misunderstanding.

The GF says she told the exact same story to the female officer but when she came out of the other room she immediately placed my friend under arrest. The GF at this point was pleading with the police that he didn't do anything wrong and not to arrest him.

They took him to the police station and he got finger printed, and charges filed etc. His court date has been set for 2 months from now, and in the mean time is not able to return to his house until after he sees the judge. He was allowed to go in there for 10 minutes to collect some personal effects but had to be supervised by an officer the whole time.

My friend is big, about 6'5" Maybe 230ish maybe more and almost pure muscle, so he is quite intimidating to look at, but is one of the most gentle and compassionate people I have ever met.

I know without a doubt that he would never ever physically harm his GF or really anybody for that matter. I have spoken with his GF who swears up and down that he didn't hurt her on purpose and that getting cut was actually more her fault (I know that often victims will say things like this too, maybe out of fear, but in this case I am 100% sure that she is telling the truth).

Of course Police don't require the victim to press charges to arrest someone, and I know he will get his day in court and be found not guilty of all the charges, but still this has been very hard on him, and mostly I think its the thought that people could think him capable of doing that kind of stuff which seems to disturb him the most.

but I thought I should share this, so people will not jump to conclusions about Voynov.

I am not saying Voynov is or isn't guilty but these types things do happen and people should get all the facts before labelling someone as a wife beater or the like.

Bingo. Innocent until proven guilty is only applicable in the court system. A question for those who think he should play while this plays out: would you knowingly patronize a restaurant where the chef was being charged for beating his wife, or would you go to the one next door with similar quality food? The NHL saw what happened with the Rice incident and had to act before major sponsors forced their hand. Business decision, and one of the few over the course of Bettman's tenure that I think is the correct one.

If I liked the place and the food I would still go...

if on the other hand, the chef was charged with manslaughter due to food poisoning....

And your friend's fingerprints will remain on file, along with his arrest record for the rest of his life. According to some, his employer would be in right to terminate his job. Welcome to the "system".

This was his concern too, not about his job but that this will be permanently on his record. I guess he is pretty fracked if he wants to travel outside of the country in his life time.

Not sure if they can/will expunge that from his record when he is found not guilty.

This was his concern too, not about his job but that this will be permanently on his record. I guess he is pretty fracked if he wants to travel outside of the country in his life time.

Not sure if they can/will expunge that from his record when he is found not guilty.

a little OT but

If I remember correctly, depending on the crime, you can seek a full pardon after 7 years of good behavior, and that means your records are sealed and they can't be unsealed without a court order. So if a border agent asks you if you have a record, you can say no.

I've never been refused entry outright to the US, I've never had a problem getting a J1 Work Visa for the US and I've been convicted of a violent crime with no pardon. I've also been to a couple dozen countries since then with no hassle whatsoever. My biggest hassle is coming back to Canada, I get the full bag search with dogs around half of the time on international flights.

One of my former business partners got caught with a gram of pot in high school and he has to get a waiver every single time he crosses the border into the States.

Voynov's attorney says this is all a misunderstanding due to language barriers, and that he did not hit his girlfriend. I imagine there's a lot more to come on this.

I'm not saying Voynov is innocent here (wouldn't be the first time a battered woman backed away from pressing charges), but imagine if a situation like this happened in the playoffs: Girl accuses key player of domestic violence the day before game 7. NHL immediately suspends said player. It turns out a few days later that it was a misunderstanding (or worse, a set-up); only game 7 is over and his team lost without him.

...It was easy for the NHL to suspend Voynov here because of the current climate around domestic violence, and the fact that there are no immediate affects to the player or team. But if the stakes were higher, and the player a star, I wonder what would happen.

Funny, I was just watching a crime show yesterday talking about a situation where a woman literally stalked her ex and got him arrested about 5-6 times and fired from his job by faking threatening emails/ phone calls and even injuring herself to get him in trouble. As much as i want to sympathize with this woman and her child there is the odd possibility Voynov is in the right.

Just going to post this since it just happened to a friend of mine:

My friend and his live-in Girlfriend (the place is his) got into an argument about 4 nights ago. They had company over (another couple who was friends with his GF) at the time. My friend asked the company to leave and they did.

The argument continued for a little bit but then the whole situation calmed downed. However the girlfriend was pretty intoxicated and during the argument she dropped her cell phone into her drink and it died. My friend went to grab the cell phone out of the drink at the same time his GF did and the glass broke and cut her hand (like literally a scratch). At this point they were no longer fighting whatsoever and it was just a complete accident.

I guess the couple they had over for company tried to call the GF a bunch of times but since her phone was dead and they couldn't get a hold of her they phoned the police to check in on her.

Three police officers (2 male, 1 female) showed up at My friend's house. My friend explained the whole situation to the two male officers while the female officer was questioning his GF in another room.

The two male officers understood the whole situation and explained to my friend that they have to check out every call that has any possibility of being domestic violence. But they realized it was just a misunderstanding.

The GF says she told the exact same story to the female officer but when she came out of the other room she immediately placed my friend under arrest. The GF at this point was pleading with the police that he didn't do anything wrong and not to arrest him.

They took him to the police station and he got finger printed, and charges filed etc. His court date has been set for 2 months from now, and in the mean time is not able to return to his house until after he sees the judge. He was allowed to go in there for 10 minutes to collect some personal effects but had to be supervised by an officer the whole time.

My friend is big, about 6'5" Maybe 230ish maybe more and almost pure muscle, so he is quite intimidating to look at, but is one of the most gentle and compassionate people I have ever met.

I know without a doubt that he would never ever physically harm his GF or really anybody for that matter. I have spoken with his GF who swears up and down that he didn't hurt her on purpose and that getting cut was actually more her fault (I know that often victims will say things like this too, maybe out of fear, but in this case I am 100% sure that she is telling the truth).

Of course Police don't require the victim to press charges to arrest someone, and I know he will get his day in court and be found not guilty of all the charges, but still this has been very hard on him, and mostly I think its the thought that people could think him capable of doing that kind of stuff which seems to disturb him the most.

but I thought I should share this, so people will not jump to conclusions about Voynov.

I am not saying Voynov is or isn't guilty but these types things do happen and people should get all the facts before labelling someone as a wife beater or the like.

It is possible this is the case with Voynov, his wife's attorney is saying that she doesn't want charges to be pressed, didn't want him arrested, and it was an accident in the first place.

Of course there's the possibility she's just sweeping it under the rug out of fear or because she's too attached or whatever.

If it's true however, it appears that there was some type of accident, they went to the hospital together, and either the authorities were quick to jump to conclusions, or somehow there was a miscommunication (perhaps due to her poor English).

Whatever happened, hopefully the truth comes out and either Voynov is brought to justice, or nothing happens and they are both allowed to continue their lives in peace.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/kings/2014/10/26/slava-voynov-marta-varlamova-domestic-violence-charges-arrest/17961307/

Funny, I was just watching a crime show yesterday talking about a situation where a woman literally stalked her ex and got him arrested about 5-6 times and fired from his job by faking threatening emails/ phone calls and even injuring herself to get him in trouble. As much as i want to sympathize with this woman and her child there is the odd possibility Voynov is in the right.

This matter has really become a prime example of giving to much sympathy to the poor helpless woman. Innocent until proven guilty is out the window it doesn't even matter. In a way it's funny because seeing women as gives the lousy ones an immunity.

#golddiggers2014

This matter has really become a prime example of giving to much sympathy to the poor helpless woman. Innocent until proven guilty is out the window it doesn't even matter. In a way it's funny because seeing women as gives the lousy ones an immunity.

#golddiggers2014

It's unfair to call her a gold digger, when according to her own lawyer she never even wanted him arrested in the first place, as I just posted above.

It's possible that both of them are victims of a misunderstanding.

It's unfair to call her a gold digger, when according to her own lawyer she never even wanted him arrested in the first place, as I just posted above.

It's possible that both of them are victims of a misunderstanding.

My apologies I was not singling her out but I am referring to many of the women as a whole. Still I wouldn't say I am wrong. The women in these cases are on 1 of 2 sides. #1. He beat me and I want millions. #2. We worked it out and we are staying together pls don't blow this up. Even with Ray Rice they stayed together and after he lost his job she was like no no no pls don't do this.

Even so beyond this. Many athletes wives seem to leave them. It also seems many athletes go for that model style wife. Whether people see this or not it is my belief. I know a girl from high school who married a 100 million dollar baseball player. An ex from when I was 19 used to work clubs and did extra curriculars and local athletes as well as in town ones would sometimes show up and she would tell me stories and still tells me some to this day though she is in Vegas now. I met some of the minor ones. It's just to shallow to take seriously. The athletes aren't looking for personality and the girls are only looking for money. Then after this became a big deal suddenly the NHL, NBA, and NFL see a spamming of "domestic abuse" it seems pretty obvious that a lot of these are BS.

Voynov may be a case of nonprofessional by the police it's not impossible but the outrage over most of these now every week cases are laughable. Many of these cases are just people being idiots.

• 4 weeks later...
Felony case filed against Kings D Voynov

A felony count of corporal injury to spouse with a great bodily injury allegation has been filed against Los Angeles Kings defenceman Slava Voynov.

The case was confirmed on Thursday afternoon by a Los Angeles District Attorney spokesperson.

Voynov, 24, was arrested in Redondo Beach, California on October 19 and charged with domestic assault. He has been suspended by the NHL since.

Since the charge is a felony, Voynov faces up to four years in prison and could face an additional five more if the victim sustained "great bodily injury."

According to a release from the DA's office, Voynov's wife suffered injuries to her neck, eyebrow and cheek and required medical attention.

Following news of the charges, Voynov's attorney, Craig Renetzky, released a statement.

"Mr. Voynov is extremely disappointed that the district attorney's office elected to file charges," read the statement. "Mr. Voynov maintains his innocence and looks forward to clearing his name in court. We remain confident."

Archived