The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which of our prospects would you trade for back end help?

Which young forward forward would you move for a young defense  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're doing okay at the moment on defense, but past Corrado, I don't see many guys who can safely step into the lineup on the back end when injuries mount (and they always do).

What team has a reliable defence 10 guys deep? I'm willing to say none. They may have more higher end prospects than the Canucks do but they are likely lacking in NHL experience.

At some point you have to rely on filling the void from within. That means those 9-10-11 guys on the depth chart have to step up if the opprtunity arises. This team finally has some moderate depth; more than recent years. Trading some now to cover another perceived hole just creates another hole.

So, most are picking Gaunce, which I kind of expected.

Teams that I'm seeing out there that are strong at defense for prospects are: Buffalo, NY Islanders and Montreal.

To Van:

Jake McCabe

To Buffalo:

Brendan Gaunce

Eriksson

Or:

To Van:

de Haan

To NYI

Brendan Gaunce

Eriksson

Or:

To Van:

Jared Tinordi

To Montreal:

Brendan Gaunce

Eriksson

Or:

To Van:

Scott Harrington

To Pitts:

Brendan Gaunce

I've tried to match value as closely as possible on these.

I'd trade Gaunce for Gormley 1 for 1 trade as both teams could benefit. Yotes can get a young promising forward that can be defensive reliable and can put up points where Canucks can get a blue chip d-prospect for our pool.

Honeydew.............Gromley is ranked the 31st best prospect...........Gaunce is not Ranked......is an honourable mention at 77th

Gromley>Gaunce

What team has a reliable defence 10 guys deep? I'm willing to say none. They may have more higher end prospects than the Canucks do but they are likely lacking in NHL experience.

At some point you have to rely on filling the void from within. That means those 9-10-11 guys on the depth chart have to step up if the opprtunity arises. This team finally has some moderate depth; more than recent years. Trading some now to cover another perceived hole just creates another hole.

Not about creating another hole, its about balancing our prospect pool. All our recent 1st round picks have been forwards. We have a number that I'd feel comfortable with, if they had to step into the lineup.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Zalewski, Horvat, Lain, Archibald, Grenier, O'Reilly are all forwards who "could" step into the line up in relief of an injury and all could perform at a reasonable level. Not saying that all of those could handle top 6 roles, but they are capable.

On defense, we have Corrado (already recalled) then, who of the following do you feel most comfortable with in Utica?

Biega, Lafranchise, Blain, Sanguinetti, Tommernes, Huskins or Andersson?

The point that I'm making is that moving someone like Gaunce for another young, similar talent level defenseman, who could step in if needed would help to smooth out our prospect depth and balance the team a little better.

If it's possible move Gaunce, but Jensen is what most teams would want minimum.

Depends on the depth of the team we trade with, at center position.

What I think we're looking for in return, is someone who projects out at anywhere from 3 - 5 defenseman on the team. Someone who is developed enough that they could step in now without embarrassing themselves, but would likely only be brought in for injury relief for the next year, not in full time position.

Depends on the depth of the team we trade with, at center position.

What I think we're looking for in return, is someone who projects out at anywhere from 3 - 5 defenseman on the team. Someone who is developed enough that they could step in now without embarrassing themselves, but would likely only be brought in for injury relief for the next year, not in full time position.

No, what is the point of that? You are trying to do 2 things and maybe filling in the current hole, but long term, not acomplishing much.........Gaunce will be a good 3rd line center, with some offensive upside........if we are trading him, package him up and try getting a puck moving defenseman prospect, and that will take more......try adding higgins, hansen, or Burrows and a 2nd rounder and then you have moved up the food chain enough to get something worth trading for.

Trade Gaunce, Corrado and Matthais to pitts/phx/mtl/nyi/Nash etc....all have good young PMD prospects

Something along those suggestions........

So, most are picking Gaunce, which I kind of expected.

Teams that I'm seeing out there that are strong at defense for prospects are: Buffalo, NY Islanders and Montreal.

To Van:

Jake McCabe

To Buffalo:

Brendan Gaunce

Eriksson

Or:

To Van:

de Haan

To NYI

Brendan Gaunce

Eriksson

Or:

To Van:

Jared Tinordi

To Montreal:

Brendan Gaunce

Eriksson

Or:

To Van:

Scott Harrington

To Pitts:

Brendan Gaunce

I've tried to match value as closely as possible on these.

That Montreal trade makes no sense from their side. Tinordi is the only big mean shutdown defenseman in the organization so they aren't going to want to move him unless it brings a clear upgrade in the top six. Guance would hold very little appeal to Montreal as they already have a glut of centres with the club and another Nhl ready centre in de La Rose. Eriksson would have even less value to them considering they have Price, Tokarski and Fucale

Archived