The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another goaltending controversy this year?

youdrankmybeer

Going off of the new video post about willie's comments this morning

Wednesday Post-Practice: Desjardins "I'm really confident in our goaltending...so every game is going to be a tough decision."

now i dont know what to make of this. they shelled out a nice wad of money to sign ryan miller, a proven veteran goaltender, a 3 time olympian which a fairly decent resume. and now theyre kind of confused as to who they should put in the pipes for every game. sure they might not have worded that exactly like that or anything, but thats what im getting out of this. one bad game yesterday and the coach has lost confidence in miller.

now dont get me wrong, lack is a decent goalie but i dont even think he quite fits the role of a starting goalie just yet. i mean you can blame the team last year in that disaster of a season, but lack had plenty of starts and he was mediocre at best. when the team was struggling, lack was folding under pressure. miller on the other hand is used to being under the gun. look at all those years he spent playing for buffalo. he still made it out of there alright and stole plenty of wins with not alot of help from the team.

is he just saying this now, because of the game last night in dallas and the way it unfolded? i dont really know what to make of this. yeah it was one bad game, but i get the idea he's already losing faith in miller over the teams meltdown yesterday in dallas.

it just doesnt make sense to me. theres been a goaltending controversy in vancouver ever since our run to the cup finals. this place is a goaltending graveyard. do we really need to have one all over again? thats what it seems like after one bad game last night. i cant even really fault miller on most of those goals anyways. he wasnt getting much of any help out there for the first half of the game.

there shouldnt be any question at this point who's the #1 guy. why would you bring in an expensive goalie if youre already so confident in eddie lack? why would you pay a guy 5-6 million a year just to sit on the bench, where that cap space could be better off spent rebuilding the team with solid players who actually will get ice time?

pardon my rant but im a little confused. i just hope this doesnt turn into another luongo vs schneider spinoff, where both goalies get ran out of town after the team starts playing poorly or things dont swing in their favor. i was confident that this whole starting goalie issue would have gone away after they signed miller, but if i take desjardins comments this morning out of context, it doesnt seem like he's very impressed by millers performance yesterday. i blame the whole team (despite a great 3rd period), but whenever the team plays sloppy and makes mistakes, its always the goalie that gets hung out to dry.

Oh well, at least we wont be able to blame this years misfortunes on Luongo. love him or hate him, he was the best goalie the canucks will ever see, but you ran him out of town too.

Lets not go down this road as a fanbase.. again.

And be warned; it is the media that spurs this garbage because it is their job and controversy sells. Lets not give in to the goaltending controversy crap spewed to us.

The worse thing we can do as a collective fanbase is fuel the fire.

Miller is the vet and the #1, Lack is the promising youngster. Both are good goalies, nothing else to it.

Lets not go down this road as a fanbase.. again.

And be warned; it is the media that spurs this garbage because it is their job and controversy sells. Lets not give in to the goaltending controversy crap spewed to us.

The worse thing we can do as a collective fanbase is fuel the fire.

Miller is the vet and the #1, Lack is the promising youngster. Both are good goalies, nothing else to it.

but those were the coaches words. not the media!

either he was so impressed by the 14 saves off fairly harmless shots eddie faced yesterday, and the 4 goals he let in against tampa, or he's pretty pissed off at ryan miller after the team started making tonnes of mistakes yesterday.

lets be honest here, lack done nothing stellar lately to really impress anybody, so it must be the latter. whatever it is, the coach just doesnt know who to start anymore, because he's just so impressed lately. could be any of them. miller is gonna have to fight for his starting position! though for that kind of a salary, im sure he'd be quite content in sitting on the bench all year watching another dismal performance by the rest of the team.

smh. i just dont know. i think i'd be a happier guy if we didnt play any games outside of alberta this season! i mean if last year wasnt rock bottom, i really dont know how things could possibly get worse. its a rough time to be a canucks fan ill tell ya that.

willie should have just been upfront about it and really spoke his mind. we played like **** yesterday. too many mistakes. shoot the god damn puck on the power play more. it wasnt impressive goaltending that stood out. it was everything else. all the mistakes. its the same kind of crap from the same players all over this year again. thats what stood out. to me anyways. it reminded me of all the crap thats happened the last few years and why we couldnt succeed.

cant blame the refs or luongo for that game now hey? oh well. at least that ones over with. we're gonna have our hands full with st louis. i hope they get their **** together.

Going off of the new video post about willie's comments this morning

Wednesday Post-Practice: Desjardins "I'm really confident in our goaltending...so every game is going to be a tough decision."

now i dont know what to make of this. they shelled out a nice wad of money to sign ryan miller, a proven veteran goaltender, a 3 time olympian which a fairly decent resume. and now theyre kind of confused as to who they should put in the pipes for every game. sure they might not have worded that exactly like that or anything, but thats what im getting out of this. one bad game yesterday and the coach has lost confidence in miller.

now dont get me wrong, lack is a decent goalie but i dont even think he quite fits the role of a starting goalie just yet. i mean you can blame the team last year in that disaster of a season, but lack had plenty of starts and he was mediocre at best. when the team was struggling, lack was folding under pressure. miller on the other hand is used to being under the gun. look at all those years he spent playing for buffalo. he still made it out of there alright and stole plenty of wins with not alot of help from the team.

is he just saying this now, because of the game last night in dallas and the way it unfolded? i dont really know what to make of this. yeah it was one bad game, but i get the idea he's already losing faith in miller over the teams meltdown yesterday in dallas.

it just doesnt make sense to me. theres been a goaltending controversy in vancouver ever since our run to the cup finals. this place is a goaltending graveyard. do we really need to have one all over again? thats what it seems like after one bad game last night. i cant even really fault miller on most of those goals anyways. he wasnt getting much of any help out there for the first half of the game.

there shouldnt be any question at this point who's the #1 guy. why would you bring in an expensive goalie if youre already so confident in eddie lack? why would you pay a guy 5-6 million a year just to sit on the bench, where that cap space could be better off spent rebuilding the team with solid players who actually will get ice time?

pardon my rant but im a little confused. i just hope this doesnt turn into another luongo vs schneider spinoff, where both goalies get ran out of town after the team starts playing poorly or things dont swing in their favor. i was confident that this whole starting goalie issue would have gone away after they signed miller, but if i take desjardins comments this morning out of context, it doesnt seem like he's very impressed by millers performance yesterday. i blame the whole team (despite a great 3rd period), but whenever the team plays sloppy and makes mistakes, its always the goalie that gets hung out to dry.

Oh well, at least we wont be able to blame this years misfortunes on Luongo. love him or hate him, he was the best goalie the canucks will ever see, but you ran him out of town too.

You just posted 9 paragraphs of over thinking it.

Both goalies can play, both get paid regardless of on the bench or on the ice, the coach will pick whatever goalie he feels will give the best chance on any given night taking into consideration the opposition, the building, sickness, injury, hot hand

There really is no need to even be discussing this.. it is not controversial for Lack to play if lack is playing better.

either he was so impressed by the 14 saves off fairly harmless shots eddie faced yesterday, and the 4 goals he let in against tampa, or he's pretty pissed off at ryan miller after the team started making tonnes of mistakes yesterday.

lets be honest here, lack done nothing stellar lately to really impress anybody, so it must be the latter. whatever it is, the coach just doesnt know who to start anymore, because he's just so impressed lately. could be any of them. miller is gonna have to fight for his starting position! though for that kind of a salary, im sure he'd be quite content in sitting on the bench all year watching another dismal performance by the rest of the team.

smh. i just dont know. i think i'd be a happier guy if we didnt play any games outside of alberta this season! i mean if last year wasnt rock bottom, i really dont know how things could possibly get worse. its a rough time to be a canucks fan ill tell ya that.

Or.. hockey interviews are pointless exercises because the coaches 99% of the time always say both players are good, got to work 60 mins, etc and so on.. its the media that tries to spin it and the fans that over think it.

Hmm, those things sound nothing like something the goalies could realistically control. So maybe it's more that he's not worried about what the goalies are doing and more about what the team in front of them is doing. So no goalie controversy, but that he has to get the team in order. But you read into it what you want, that's cool too.

All the coach said was that he is confident in both goalies, so naturally it is going to be hard to pick a starter because both are capable. If you have petr skudra as your back up the decision is much easier.

The coach saying he is confident in both goalies somehow translates into him 'being pissed at ryan miller' because the team got outplayed. Settle down and stop making something out of nothing.

IMO I think most were expecting Lack to compete with Miller, so it's not really a controversy. WD will play the better goalie or whoever is streaking at the time.

I don't think it's unfair to say that Lack can win the starters job. It won't be easy though.

Unfair? No. Unrealistic? Yup.

i dont know. im just pissed off at the way things have unfolded in the last few years. its rather surprising looking at where we are now and where we used to be.

the last thing vancouver needs is some kind of a goaltending controversy. theres too many other issues that this team needs to work on before they can even consider themselves as a legitimate contender at this point.

yeah i think lack is decent, but we didnt give miller an 18 million dollar contract to sit on the bench. thats not much better than luongo's was.

aside from all this crap, the only player ive really been impressed by so far outside of preseason is vrbata. i really didnt know what to expect out of him i never get to see many yotes games. just being able to put up the points on that team was impressive enough, but he seems to be fitting along well with the sedins.

i dont know. im just pissed off at the way things have unfolded in the last few years. its rather surprising looking at where we are now and where we used to be.

the last thing vancouver needs is some kind of a goaltending controversy. theres too many other issues that this team needs to work on before they can even consider themselves as a legitimate contender at this point.

yeah i think lack is decent, but we didnt give miller an 18 million dollar contract to sit on the bench. thats not much better than lou's.

Don't worry, there's no controversy so all is well....on that front anyways. We still need a 2nd line and defensive depth.

Archived