The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mediocre Again

Jiggs50

Yes, the Canucks are mediocre again. Did you really need five games to tell you that the team isn't great? You shouldn't have. It was obvious this team was lacking when you compared its roster to the roster of contenders.

I have felt this way since the beginning of last year and the Dallas game continues to expose this teams deficiencies.

Wow, you really know your stuff. Judging by the team losing most of their games against good teams at the beginning of last season I figured we were in for a special year.

To all the optimists that will point out that the season has just started, I know it's only been 5 games. But answer this. What is this teams strength?

Sedins and Vrbata.

Are the Canucks a skilled and finesse team? Are we a big physical team? A defensive team (LOL)? A speedy and hard on the forecheck type team? Is goaltending our strength?

Will have to wait and see.

I see mediocrity across the board. JB needs to define what direction he wants to go. The defense looks old and slow. Lost for most of the part. Our centers are small and weak at faceoffs. This is a 1 line team. The rest are just 2-3rd line hybrid grinder types. Goaltending should be our strength but it hasn't looked it.

Our top line is not mediocre, and goaltending should not be our strength, it should be A strength, the top line should be our strength seeing as how it is costing 20 mil in cap.

I think this team needs to be a big, fast skilled team and certain players don't fit that profile (Hansen, Higgins). Jensen and Shink along with Bo Horvat should be given long looks this year.

lol. Yes! Lets be a better team! Brilliant idea!

Ana, La, Chi, Stl, Dallas, Min, and Sj seem like locks to get in. Leaving us to compete for 8th. Were a competitive team but it's mediocrity across the board

Strap in, help isn't coming.

It doesn't take an optimist to state how many games we've played. It just takes a person that realizes how many games we've played.

Oh, and strengths?

- Offensive depth

-Good 1-2 Goalie tandem (despite what happened last night)

- A great good top line

Other than the top line I don't see the offensive depth.

Other than the top line I don't see the offensive depth.

Even that might be a mirage. The Sedins have 3 goals between them, 2 of those are empty netters. They have 12 assists between them, 9 of those came against the Alberta teams. Vrbata's looked good on that line, but he like the twins have only feasted on Edmonton and Calgary so far.

If the Sedins are now only 40-50 point players like they were last year, then we have a second line followed by a bunch of plumbers.

I have felt this way since the beginning of last year and the Dallas game continues to expose this teams deficiencies.

To all the optimists that will point out that the season has just started, I know it's only been 5 games. But answer this. What is this teams strength?

Are the Canucks a skilled and finesse team? Are we a big physical team? A defensive team (LOL)? A speedy and hard on the forecheck type team? Is goaltending our strength?

I see mediocrity across the board. JB needs to define what direction he wants to go. The defense looks old and slow. Lost for most of the part. Our centers are small and weak at faceoffs. This is a 1 line team. The rest are just 2-3rd line hybrid grinder types. Goaltending should be our strength but it hasn't looked it.

I think this team needs to be a big, fast skilled team and certain players don't fit that profile (Hansen, Higgins). Jensen and Shink along with Bo Horvat should be given long looks this year.

Ana, La, Chi, Stl, Dallas, Min, and Sj seem like locks to get in. Leaving us to compete for 8th. Were a competitive team but it's mediocrity across the board.

Not sure how a team can be competitive and mediocre at the same time.

Anyways...I'm baffled that there are fans out there that were expecting this team to be anything more than competitive and challenging for a playoff position.

Settle down now. The kiddies will be getting opportunities this year, as it is a long season and there will be injuries.

Try to stay calm and realize that the team is in a transition period and it's going to take some time before they become challengers again.

Not sure how a team can be competitive and mediocre at the same time.

Anyways...I'm baffled that there are fans out there that were expecting this team to be anything more than competitive and challenging for a playoff position.

Settle down now. The kiddies will be getting opportunities this year, as it is a long season and there will be injuries.

Try to stay calm and realize that the team is in a transition period and it's going to take some time before they become challengers again.

Competitive as in we can beat the odd good team here and there and give any team a good match up. But we don 't beat those teams. Middle of the pack type team.

What exactly were you expecting?

Everyone knows the Canucks are a tweener team that'll probably finish around 7-11th place.

Pretty much this.

IMO, the Canucks will continue be a mediocre team until the Sedins are not the first line primary scoring threats anymore and when the likes of Horvat, Shink, McCann, Virtanen...etc are transitioning into top 6 players much like the way Couture, Pavelski and the other young guys on the Sharks pushed Thornton and Marleau down the lineup.

Until then, we should probably expect a few more years of mediocrity and battling for the final playoff position.

I would say we'll need a couple months to see what they can do. They have a new coach who has to implement his concepts, and new players that have to learn to play together and gain chemistry. Even then i don't believe they will get much more than a wild card spot and first round exit? Their just not deep enough with only one line clicking and the defence isn't strong enough yet either.

Archived