The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mediocre Again

Jiggs50

I have felt this way since the beginning of last year and the Dallas game continues to expose this teams deficiencies.

To all the optimists that will point out that the season has just started, I know it's only been 5 games. But answer this. What is this teams strength?

Are the Canucks a skilled and finesse team? Are we a big physical team? A defensive team (LOL)? A speedy and hard on the forecheck type team? Is goaltending our strength?

I see mediocrity across the board. JB needs to define what direction he wants to go. The defense looks old and slow. Lost for most of the part. Our centers are small and weak at faceoffs. This is a 1 line team. The rest are just 2-3rd line hybrid grinder types. Goaltending should be our strength but it hasn't looked it.

I think this team needs to be a big, fast skilled team and certain players don't fit that profile (Hansen, Higgins). Jensen and Shink along with Bo Horvat should be given long looks this year.

Ana, La, Chi, Stl, Dallas, Min, and Sj seem like locks to get in. Leaving us to compete for 8th. Were a competitive team but it's mediocrity across the board.

I'm getting the sense that you had formed this opinion before the season started, and the only thing that might have caused you to not spout off at this time would be if Horvat, Jensen and Shinkaruk were on the team in place of some of the veteran players like those named. This being said, I suspect that your complaint would then be that the team doesn't have the veterans around to help these young players to succeed.

You waitied until the team's record dropped to 3 - 2 before making this thread. I commend you on not waiting to see if the Canucks record improved before you said your piece. Someone less bold would wait until their record dropped to 3 - 7 before saying what you said. I'm sure that you would stick with your opinion in the event that the Canucks went on to win their next five games. Yeah, that's not going to happen so you can safely make the claim. :)

You desire to replace what you see as "mediocrity" with inexperience, and you assume that the results would be better, What I see is a desire to be Edmonton. What I also see is someone who has made up his mind on a particular course of action and dismisses anything which argues against that position. But that's okay, cuz' you're right, right?

regards,

G.

since its too early to complain

I'll make predictions instead

3wins / 5games

4/10

7/20

9/30

10/35 by the new year

go canucks

Washington new coach 3-0-2/5

Nashville new coach 4-0-2/6

I am predicting win streaks in Alberta and Ontario

Games

In

You remind me of the joke about the bear who walks into a bar.

The bartender asks him what he wants to drink.

The bear replies, "I'll have a rye.................................................................. and coke."

The bartender says, "Hey what's with the big pause?"

And the bear says, "I dunno, I've had them all my life."

regards,

G.

What exactly were you expecting?

Everyone knows the Canucks are a tweener team that'll probably finish around 7-11th place.

Pretty much this.

It's the equivalent of going outside when it's raining and being disappointed that you got wet.

Were you expecting these guys to compete for the Cup? If you said you had been seeing mediocrity since last year, then why bring it up again? You already knew that most of the roster players from last season are still here. Not to mention that all you provide is inane, redundant, elementary commentary on how the Canucks can dig out of their supposed 5-games-in-and-sucking-like-the-old-days mediocrity.

I get it. The team is mediocre. Do we need a thread on it every time they lose a game?

You remind me of the joke about the bear who walks into a bar.

The bartender asks him what he wants to drink.

The bear replies, "I'll have a rye.................................................................. and coke."

The bartender says, "Hey what's with the big pause?"

And the bear says, "I dunno, I've had them all my life."

regards,

G.

HEYOOOOOOO

Nice. I like that joke.

What I am more amazed about how people are surprised by this teams play in any way?

Have you looked at the line up?

Do people honestly see it going anywhere?

This is a transition team, with band aid solution players like Vrbata and Miller who are there to help us survive until our prospects are groomed and more gems can be drafted.

I am not trying to be negative, but that is just facing facts.

ITS 5 GAMES IN STOP MAKING JUDGEMENTS SO EARLY

I get what you are saying but I know you know better. Watch and enjoy the season.

But we all know this team has no chance to compete with the top Western Conference teams. They are simply much better.

Just look at our lineup and then look at these teams lineups and it is crystal clear.

It's way too early to make judgements. Last year they were in first place after 13 games and had the best road trip in team history going 5-1-1 on a seven gamer. Pretty sure nobody was predicting a playoff miss and a lottery pick.

I'm not sold on this team but you never know. Desjardins is a successful coach. I'm interested to see what he can do. Benning has been around for a few months. He's made some good moves and some head scratchers. He also needs time,

Expectations are low this year so more than ever I think this is a good season to just relax and watch. There are going to be losses. Probably at least as many as wins. Just enjoy the games. Last year was a huge disappointment but now the rebuild has begun. The core is getting older and set to change. That's going to be both exciting and tough to watch. It won't be seamless. If you expected this group to be a contender then that is your problem. They aren't.

Don't forget that Ryan Kesler was their best forward last year. Santorelli was great. That's two pretty good players elsewhere and I'm not sure the replacements measure up. So a pretty weak team hasn't really improved on paper and you are surprised that they may be mediocre?

It's 5 games. The reason you can't tell much from 5 games is because those are the games where you have to learn from. A successful team learns from the start of the season and improves, and a team that is unsuccessful fails to learn. We haven't been able to see if the team has learned from a blowout loss yet. Under AV we were better following early season failure, improving as the year went on.

Edmonton and Toronto are famous for having amazing starts and amazing failures almost every season. The problem is that they don't learn from their early season success and it doesn't translate down the stretch. Last year we had success in the first half of the season but collapsed in the second half to injuries and an inability to adapt. We have yet to see if Mr D can improve us or not.

You can judge in a few months when the lessons should have set in. If they have not then we are mediocre. If they have then we are competitive. Remember, it's not how you start the race, but instead how you finish the race.

I'm getting the sense that you had formed this opinion before the season started, and the only thing that might have caused you to not spout off at this time would be if Horvat, Jensen and Shinkaruk were on the team in place of some of the veteran players like those named. This being said, I suspect that your complaint would then be that the team doesn't have the veterans around to help these young players to succeed.

You waitied until the team's record dropped to 3 - 2 before making this thread. I commend you on not waiting to see if the Canucks record improved before you said your piece. Someone less bold would wait until their record dropped to 3 - 7 before saying what you said. I'm sure that you would stick with your opinion in the event that the Canucks went on to win their next five games. Yeah, that's not going to happen so you can safely make the claim. :)

You desire to replace what you see as "mediocrity" with inexperience, and you assume that the results would be better, What I see is a desire to be Edmonton. What I also see is someone who has made up his mind on a particular course of action and dismisses anything which argues against that position. But that's okay, cuz' you're right, right?

regards,

G.

That's a ton of assumptions. I would be saying the same thing even if this team was 5-1. There's no way Higgins is a second liner. I also doubt Bonino, Vey and Mathias could turn into Manny Malhotras and win every faceoff.

I called this team mediocre because there's really nothing much that jumps out at you about this team. The Sedins and Vrbata are a bright spot but that's it. The rest is just off. I mean do people really believe Kassian will develop into some great player by playing with Richardson (4th line center) on the regular? Sbisa playing with Weber?

Even when firing on all cylinders this team doesn't compare to the Ducks or the Kings or even Minnesota for that matter.

I'd like Jensen/Shinkaruk and Horvat to be given fair shots simply because of their upside. I mean would rather have Jensen on that second line or Higgins, whose just keeping the spot warm for next year. No this wouldn't be an Edmonton situation because we have leadership throughout the lineup and our young guys will be sheltered.

I see a mediocre team. If they can prove me wrong then that will be great! I do think Horvat will mask our faceoff problems.

It is true besides our top line, the others haven't proven to be gelling fantastic yet - but it truly IS 5 games in. I'd give them at least another 10 before passing much judgement. For that matter, I'd give it another 10 to see if the first line continues gelling. I think they will, but the side-to-Verbata passes are going to get old quick.

Our defense is a bit better spread out in terms of talent, and obviously relies heavily on Edler regaining his game... to which we've seen a partial recovery perhaps.

Our goaltending should be solid, and is perhaps one of the highest areas I think multi-game grace period needs to be given before assessing. Both goalies have yet to find consistency, and it remains to be seen how many games they can win by themselves when necessary.

I have no idea if our coaching staff is being successful or not. There was (rightfully) lots of optimism, but also apprehension about WD not having head coach experience. I think this is another area where he needs time to feel out the team, try different things, and get the team buying into his system.

So do certain things need to align for our team to be more then average? Certainly. Are the assets there for that to happen? I believe so.

I don't think it's likely we could become elite with the current roster, but that's what the young talent we have waiting in the wings is for as well. If those stars also align, I think we have a chance in the future. But for now, I'm not really concerned with our 3-2 record, and believe it has a strong potential to improve. And really - even Trevor himself said his goal was to make this a playoff team... and If that can be accomplished, I'd brand this first year a success.

Archived