The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mediocre Again

Jiggs50

Well, what do you expect canucks to be cup contenders year in a year out?

Like I said canucks will be fine. We will competing for the wild card and hopefully get a good match up in the first round of playoffs,

That depends on your definition of "fine". Is that competing for a low playoff seed, if we're "lucky" winning a round, getting a middling draft pick, and hoping to repeat that process the following year? Because this is probably how it would play out and then we'd very likely be walking in Calgary Flames territory, losing in the playoffs early every year to missing the playoffs every year but not being terrible enough to get the good picks.

I dont expect the Canucks to be cup contenders every year, but I do expect that they try to build towards that.

Top teams in the west

Ana

LA

Chi

Playoff fighting teams

Dal

Sj

Stl

Col

Min

Van

Outside teams

Nsh

Edm

Bottom teams

Wpg

Cgy

Arz

It would be very hard to argue that canucks don't belong in with the playoff fighting teams.

You are really setting yourself up for some April blues bro.

It is? We're 7 games in, how do you know? I don't need to imagine the Canucks losing to Buffalo or any other hypothetical nonsense. I watch the team play. I see the slowness teamwide, I see the propensity for turnovers, I see the need for goaltending having to save the day a little too frequently and I see the centres not being able to win nearly enough faceoffs in any zone. Only the Sedin line plays with a real sense of confidence, the others are all flying by the seat of their pants. And I see a team that's in the top 1/3 oldest in the league in average age. Benning, Linden and Willy are a breath of fresh air, but they're hamstrung by a roster of many limitations. I can accept that the team is indeed mediocre, but it's disturbing to be mediocre and old.

This is fair, but we are in transition....this was reality and evident last year. Given we made few changes and at best they were 'lateral' moves (ie not improvements but rather plugging holes of players we moved) clearly a better season by the twins, burr/edler wasn't going to make us contenders again.

Sure, improvements by those players back to "normal" play would see us be more competitive this year, but I believe too many fans really bought into the marketing of TL/JB vs. the reality that our roster is not really that much better/different than that of last year. At best it was a marginal improvement, based simply on improved seasons by the players mentioned above.

Miller arugably = Lou = Lateral move

Vrbata and Bonino = more depth but Kesler brought alot more to that 2c role and we can all see that now. These 2 vs Kes are probably a wash, as we are weaker on the 2nd line defensively and in the circle, but better offensively as a group.

Vey is not a game changer, too young, but nice add

Kassian is still struggling to find his game and we needed him to really take the next step...only 7 games in...time will tell

Sbisa looks like he'll hurt our d, but only 7 games in

D is older and slower

Thus expecting this team to outperform last year significantly, if anyone did, was foolish. My view was those changes should be good enough to get us those 8 pts we needed to make the playoffs ...which is still plausible.

However, I think most realistic fans saw us as barely making the playoffs and likely being knocked out first round, which is still of value because it would give players like Tanev, Corrado, Horvat, Kassian, maybe Jensen, Lack some playoff experience, which always matters.

If not we'd just miss and be drafting 8-10 ....

I don't know why people expected much more than that...

JIm Bennings minimim expections for the team.

Year 1 make the playoffs.

Year 2 compete for top 3 divisional title

year 3 at this point, JB has a good 2 years to make trades assemble the team to his vision. We should be considered a cup contender, while utilizing Millers last year with us.

Kinda like Mike gillis.

2009 and 2010 were assembling years. by 2011 he had built the team to his liking.

gotta be patient.

Top teams in the west

Ana

LA

Chi

Playoff fighting teams

Dal

Sj

Stl

Col

Min

Van

Outside teams

Nsh

Edm

Bottom teams

Wpg

Cgy

Arz

It would be very hard to argue that canucks don't belong in with the playoff fighting teams.

Nashville is having an amazing start. They may slow down eventually, but it'll be hard to make up that ground for us.

We are nowhere near Dallas or Minny or Col.

I don't think we'll be a playoff fighting team.

I'm hoping Benning sees this by the deadline and we end up being sellers. He obviously wants to give the current roster a chance, and he has provided them with supporting cast, but I don't think our current roster has it in them.

The team right now has a lot of the same player - plugs. And if they don't lack in speed they lack in scoring or size or defense or face offs or skill or maturity altogether. Look at the list:

Richardson

Mattias

Hansen

Dorset

Sestito

Depth yes but not playoff or cup appealing depth. Guys have to go to get a better mix in the bottom 6

The team right now has a lot of the same player - plugs. And if they don't lack in speed they lack in scoring or size or defense or face offs or skill or maturity altogether. Look at the list:

Richardson

Mattias

Hansen

Dorset

Sestito

Depth yes but not playoff or cup appealing depth. Guys have to go to get a better mix in the bottom 6

I think we are past the point of blaming the bottom 6. Maybe a couple of years ago that would've helped the team. Richardson, Hansen and Dorsett are actually a pretty good 4th line.

Nashville is having an amazing start. They may slow down eventually, but it'll be hard to make up that ground for us.

We are nowhere near Dallas or Minny or Col.

I don't think we'll be a playoff fighting team.

I'm hoping Benning sees this by the deadline and we end up being sellers. He obviously wants to give the current roster a chance, and he has provided them with supporting cast, but I don't think our current roster has it in them.

How do you get off saying that... the two games we lost. We our bound to lose some games this year. I bet we beat them next time we face them. Have you watched any avs games this year outside of the last game? They've looked terrible, sloppy and uninterested in there games. Prior to us they only had 12 goals in 7 games. Even after that win they've only won twice in the first 8 games. Dallas we had a rough game and in Col we were playing back to back against a desperate team. Av's wont be that good this year unless they get another vezina year out of varly. STL has taken a step back without a true #1. But even still you named central teams. Only 5 central teams can make the post season and if you think NSH can maintain there pace the point deferential has got to come from somewhere. A more evenly matched central division will result in a lower point total making it easier for canucks to make playoffs.

If we're talking about depth, look at this.

Right now I'd say we have got a 1st line and 3 3rds:

1+3+3+3

Normally a deep team would have a lineup of this:

1+2+3+4

If you add those combinations up they both add up to 10.

Therefore, we're just as deep as many other teams.

Our D sucks tho and goaltendings been meh

That logic is also completely flawed.

We're not that good. Mediocre is us. :)

The problem is we have a first line, a third line and two fourth lines.

1+3+4+4

It is? We're 7 games in, how do you know? I don't need to imagine the Canucks losing to Buffalo or any other hypothetical nonsense. I watch the team play. I see the slowness teamwide, I see the propensity for turnovers, I see the need for goaltending having to save the day a little too frequently and I see the centres not being able to win nearly enough faceoffs in any zone. Only the Sedin line plays with a real sense of confidence, the others are all flying by the seat of their pants. And I see a team that's in the top 1/3 oldest in the league in average age. Benning, Linden and Willy are a breath of fresh air, but they're hamstrung by a roster of many limitations. I can accept that the team is indeed mediocre, but it's disturbing to be mediocre and old.

Except it is not our older guys who are costing us. Our seasoned vets have still a lot more to offer it appears than some of our "blue eyed boy" favourites.

Our younger guys need to start competing like they meant it.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a huge difference between this years Canucks and last years Canucks, this years Canucks are playing exciting and inspired hockey. Last years Canucks just looked dead in the water if they ever went down by a goal, this years Canucks seem to keep there foot on the gas till the buzzer blows at the end. Even though age and underperforming D may catch up with them later in the season, they are very inspiring to watch this year, and I think the coaching change has alot to do with that. It'll be nice to see them start to integrate some of the prospect pool over the next few years.

Fans like you... Ugh. Stop being such homers and open your eyes.

They have had a grueling schedule against good teams. Take off your hater glasses. Whenever there's a bad game you and trolls come out from underneath your bridges to hate on this team.

I say take your crap else where

Still lack size and speed. Funny how guys like Hansen disappear in these types of games. Richardson has been out muscled a ton. Just can't beat LA...

You've been quietly waiting two and a half weeks while the Canucks climb to the top of the standings, just so you could resurrect your sobbing and handwringing after a single loss? Just go away.

Archived