The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthias being Wasted?

Ugli Fruit

Well, we all saw what Matthias could bring to the table last year for a snakebitten team struggling to do anything right. He proved himself to be a pretty decent producer with some puck carrying ability.

Now I get that WD wants to use Vey as much as he can (who has been a pleasant surprise for us I daresay), however Matthias at least deserves more ice time than what he is currently getting, which seems to be 4th line minutes. I don't think his game is meant for a 4th line role and should be playing with a playmaker so that he can use his frame and speed to create space, not hits.

We saw how Richardson - Matthias - Kassian could work at times last year, as well as Higgins. So he is pretty versatile. Any reason why he is stuck so low in the pecking order?

Thought this might be about a wild night at The Roxy.

I was hoping for a good story too.. To the OPs point, I think it's way too early to judge who's being "wasted". WD is getting to know his team and I bet the very last thing he wants to do is " well it worked for Torts".. Give it time

Edit: I might just have get wasted now, you've got me thinking wasted. Yup, shotgun a lucky in 5-4-3-2...

He has an average of 12mins TOI last year so I would imagine he wouldn't be happy at the moment. I think he has the tools to be an effective 2nd liner, minus the face-off percentage. I did like how he played on the third line last game, thought they developed some nice chemistry. We'll see how Bo impacts his position in this lineup when he slots in.

he's a 26 yr old who couldn't crack the third line consistently in FL, why would he here?

Because he was one of the few bright spots in the season last year? It doesn't matter what he did in FL, we saw Santo show up as a no-namer and then ended up 3rd or something in points before injury

I was hoping for a good story too.. To the OPs point, I think it's way too early to judge who's being "wasted". WD is getting to know his team and I bet the very last thing he wants to do is " well it worked for Torts".. Give it time

Edit: I might just have get wasted now, you've got me thinking wasted. Yup, shotgun a lucky in 5-4-3-2...

New drinking game. Whenever Bure to Mogilny makes a spelling error or a nonsense post you drink a shot.

It's a fine night to die of alcohol poisoning. ::D

he's a 26 yr old who couldn't crack the third line consistently in FL, why would he here?

Because people who actually watched the hockey games thinks that he has potential and should get more minutes? duh.

By the way, with your flawed logic, Santorelli was waived by Florida, why did we sign him again?

Well, we all saw what Matthias could bring to the table last year for a snakebitten team struggling to do anything right. He proved himself to be a pretty decent producer with some puck carrying ability.

Now I get that WD wants to use Vey as much as he can (who has been a pleasant surprise for us I daresay), however Matthias at least deserves more ice time than what he is currently getting, which seems to be 4th line minutes. I don't think his game is meant for a 4th line role and should be playing with a playmaker so that he can use his frame and speed to create space, not hits.

We saw how Richardson - Matthias - Kassian could work at times last year, as well as Higgins. So he is pretty versatile. Any reason why he is stuck so low in the pecking order?

So, seems his minutes are not what I would call 4th line minutes.

vs Dallas 13:47 Hansen 11:11

vs Tampa 9:22 Hansen 10:51

vs Edmonton 9:56 Hansen 9:09

vs Edmonton 9:33 Hansen 9;46

vs Calgary 9:39 Hansen 9:54

Seems his time on the ice is pretty good overall, especially considering he is at times getting more ice time than Hansen.

Because he was one of the few bright spots in the season last year? It doesn't matter what he did in FL, we saw Santo show up as a no-namer and then ended up 3rd or something in points before injury

I think the reality is, as cliche as it is, last year was last year and don't discount the fact that this coaching staff/mgmt team were not here....so basically every started fresh, good or bad.

That has helped some and hurt others.

Personally, I though Matthias showed well last year but this year hasn' t been as effective. I know one of the reasons he was excited to come to vancouver was because he wanted to contribute more, get more ice and it seemed we had a spot for him with santo out last year to do that.

Well this year, with the number of centers that's changed and perhaps his disappointment has carried into his play? not sure, but he certainly isn't the same player....

Just as Kassian is yet again having to 'prove he's worthy of the second line" seems like Matthias is going to have to outplay Hansen or Dorsett for ice...as we know Vey/Horvat/Richie are pretty much locks...

I suspect if Horvat sticks past his nine games, we'll see Matthias moved given he's a ufa and we'll have hansen/higgins/dorsett./tostito still

Until Matthias shows that he knows how to leverage his assets (speed, size and gaining the offensive zone), he won't go far.

If he was a little nastier, this could help him, but it seems peoplle on the team idolize the Sedins too much and all want to be play makers. Kassian is another example of this.

Thank goodness for Bieksa. At least he's not afraid to bring it physically. Wish he was captain...

Other than Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata combo, Matthias-Richardson-Kassian combination is the only other line that should not be messed with. They had great chemistry together last season. Next season, assuming that Richardson doesn't re-sign, Horvat can play between the two players to make up for a big physical line.

Other than Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata combo, Matthias-Richardson-Kassian combination is the only other line that should not be messed with. They had great chemistry together last season. Next season, assuming that Richardson doesn't re-sign, Horvat can play between the two players to make up for a big physical line.

Who would be 2nd line? Shink Boner Burrows or maybe Vey or Cassells

Archived