The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fewest fights in first six games in Canucks history

Slegr

A combination of a new coach opposed to staged fights and a greater NHL intolerance towards dropping the gloves has led the Canucks to their cleanest first six games of hockey in their 44-year history. One fight in a half dozen games, led by unsuspecting defenseman Dan Hamhuis, turned out to be a spirited fisticuffs with Oiler Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. It took the Canucks five games to earn their 5-minute major, with the usual suspects, such as Bieksa and Kassian, playing nice so far. Meanwhile, Sestito, despite showing a soft set of hands at moments last season, hasnt found his way into the lineup yet this season. As fans, do you miss the more frequent fights? There have been a few times where I would have liked to see greater physical responses from the Canucks. But for the most part, Ive enjoyed the steady, clean tempo that theyre bringing over the 60 minutes. Thoughts?

Thought there could have been a fight last night between Bieksa and St. Loser guy who was facewashing Daniel. KB looked mighty angry out there. Loved his reaction and very glad that it didn't result in a powerplay for the other guys. Daniel seems to be offering some pushback this year too, with is awesome to see.

I"m not against fighting, but when you have too many fights for little reason, it gets boring, especially if it's not a good fight (which seems all too common the last few years).

Wouldn't have objected to Backes getting his face pounded in last night, but the response from the Canucks was respectable.

It was nice to see the Dallas game remain clean when it was becoming a blowout. Not saying I'm against how the guys reacted on that horrible California trip last year with those bullcrap 5 minute 5-3's. But it is so much nicer to see them try harder and fight back on the scoreboard.

I'm a fan of fighting but it's changed a lot over the past number of years. Before fighting used to hold leaning behind it and brawls/scraps were entertaining because of them.

Now it seems players fight for no real reason and no wonder why the fighter is a dying breed. The game has dynamically changed and doesn't need the presence of an enforcer nearly like it once did. Now it's more being tough and skilled rather than just a one dimensional scrapper. Teams still have a few enforcers like the Canucks (Sestito is an enforcer, Dorsett is one but he brings more to the table than just that) but I don't mind the Nucks. Fewer fights yes but a lot better overall play, the best in a long long time and they are still adjusting and getting used to Willie's system. I'll take that over fights for the heck of it any day of the week.

I like it.

At the end of the day there are no points for fighting and it accomplishes nothing unless "you're" a wussy girl and you let your emotions get involved. On top of that you don't have to fight so according to the rules it really shouldn't be an effective tool at all, and teams are realizing that. Of course if you're the only team that doesn't fight in a fighting league that can be taken advantage of but teams and players are getting smarter and tired of wasting their time and effort on a cheap tactic.

You also factor in that hockey fights are basically a wrestling match on skates and a poor exhibition. I'm all for a fight when the emotion moves you but the past 10 years of employing a boxer on your team has been boring to say the least.

Well I shouldn't say boring at all really Gino Odjick was one of my favorite players and his poster hung on my walls for years. However, the NHL as a hole was dumb back then. No way coaches let their players run around like that nowadays.

I was watching the Flyers vs Penguins game the other day, and was wondering - where are the fights, and all of the sudden, 2 seconds later, just before the end of first period, a fight breaks out and I am like - yeah!

I went to a Kings vs Canucks game back in 2013, and was disappointed that I had to sit in row 18 instead of row 5, and saw a great fight between Tom Sestito and Jordan Nolan right in front of the section I was sitting in, and was thinking - god wanted me to sit in this section..

Archived