The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bonino vrs kesler

Guest Cuporbust2

I'm not shocked at all.......kesler took way more from the team than he gave back. Kesler's "star status", in my opinion, is a fabrication. He's a selfish, attention seeking player who has built a myth around 1 [playoff series and a handful of games where he has dominated.

Lol I know, worked out well for us in the trade ;)

FYI.

Just a heads up but Ryan Kesler is now sporting an 'A' on a very well established and stable Ducks hockey team.

Just like he was named alternate at age 23 here in Vancouver. How is it someone can be given a standing ovation by the fans then an A on his sweater on a team this good when he is supposedly a 'cancer' .

Seems to me that the dirt slinging and vitriol about the guy by creeps on here was just that. Dirt. Nonsense. Fans with a grudge against Kesler. Folks with an axe to grind.

There is a reason why the Ducks gave up Bonino , Sbisa and the first to get him in spite of the fact Kesler would only go there.

/\

I think there were some truth to the stories. But I bet a lot of it stemmed from Kesler getting disillusioned with the city, and just needing a fresh start.

Now that he has it, he's a happy camper, and getting along with everyone. Good for him and Anaheim.

FYI.

Just a heads up but Ryan Kesler is now sporting an 'A' on a very well established and stable Ducks hockey team.

Just like he was named alternate at age 23 here in Vancouver. How is it someone can be given a standing ovation by the fans then an A on his sweater on a team this good when he is supposedly a 'cancer' .

Seems to me that the dirt slinging and vitriol about the guy by creeps on here was just that. Dirt. Nonsense. Fans with a grudge against Kesler. Folks with an axe to grind.

There is a reason why the Ducks gave up Bonino , Sbisa and the first to get him in spite of the fact Kesler would only go there.

Suuuuuure...

You don't have guys discussing trades with phrases like "Is he at least a better human than Kesler?" without some shit going on behind closed doors.

FYI.

Pretty sure I heard something on 1040 today about the canucks holding their own "players only" meeting to remove the A from Kesler at some point. Goes to show how much he was admired among his peers.

Agreed, except for the fact that i am starting to feel like Jensen's opportunity has come and gone.

Much like J.S, I feel like last year was his opportunity to make or break.

I had a different feeling, considering next season Jensen's main opportunity unless he moves up later this season.

Kesler's pretty much the Ducks top line with Getzlaf and Perry out with the flu and he's far from being able to carry a team by himself.

I know the Ducks thought they'd be getting a better 2nd line center and game-changer in Kesler who can kill penalties and log 20 minutes, but I guess they didn't expect Bonino to develop and progress the way he has. The reason they gave him up was probably because they thought Kesler would be an upgrade on Bonino, that Kes's stats were deflated by a bad coach and Bonino's were inflated by playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Fair assumptions, and honestly that's what I thought as well, but it turns out Bonino was, is and will be the better center. He's got a better shot, more hockey IQ (ie. a much better passer/playmaker than Kesler), kills penalties just as well as Kesler does and is just as good defensively. All Kesler has on Bonino is his ability to hit and skate, but he's getting old and not as strong physically as he once was. Meanwhile Bonino's skills are getting more and more refined and that shot of his is by far the best on the team.

And if they though they were getting a more clutch, game-breaking player who can win playoff series, Bonino has 3 game winning goals in just 24 playoff games whereas Kesler has 2 in 57. Kes had a couple of good series during our 2011 run but that's honestly it - everyone looked good that season.

Fleecing by JB and we'll be analysing this trade for a few more years to come once McCann becomes an NHL regular too.

Pretty clear we won this one both in the short term and overwhelmingly in the long term. I always liked Bonino, but didn't think he was quite this good or that a case could be made for Bonino vs. Kes straight up. Certainly Bonino's faceoff, physical and shutdown game isn't as strong as Kes's but offensively he's clearly better, and most of all makes our second line better because others can play with him. If Richardson and Horvat can take over the pure shutdown duties, we come out a long way ahead overall.

Kesler's pretty much the Ducks top line with Getzlaf and Perry out with the flu and he's far from being able to carry a team by himself.

I know the Ducks thought they'd be getting a better 2nd line center and game-changer in Kesler who can kill penalties and log 20 minutes, but I guess they didn't expect Bonino to develop and progress the way he has. The reason they gave him up was probably because they thought Kesler would be an upgrade on Bonino, that Kes's stats were deflated by a bad coach and Bonino's were inflated by playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Fair assumptions, and honestly that's what I thought as well, but it turns out Bonino was, is and will be the better center. He's got a better shot, more hockey IQ (ie. a much better passer/playmaker than Kesler), kills penalties just as well as Kesler does and is just as good defensively. All Kesler has on Bonino is his ability to hit and skate, but he's getting old and not as strong physically as he once was. Meanwhile Bonino's skills are getting more and more refined and that shot of his is by far the best on the team.

And if they though they were getting a more clutch, game-breaking player who can win playoff series, Bonino has 3 game winning goals in just 24 playoff games whereas Kesler has 2 in 57. Kes had a couple of good series during our 2011 run but that's honestly it - everyone looked good that season.

Fleecing by JB and we'll be analysing this trade for a few more years to come once McCann becomes an NHL regular too.

I heard keslers post game... He was upset Perry and getzlaf were busy making out before the game and sharing their flu but they left kesler out. That's how he justified his -1 and loss.

Guest Cuporbust2

What I love so far bout this kid is consistancy. That he was not only a fluke playing with guys like perry , but is one of those guys that adapts and doesn't need supporting cast of superstars. I think this guys guna be a huge part of this team going forwards

We really hit it big getting rid of an aging kes for a guy with way more miles left on him and talent to spare.

Bonino's +7 vrs Keslers -3 mean the canucks are 10-4-0 instead of 5-8-1.

Yep... sometimes +/- can be misleading because you can be on a crappy team.

Anaheim's goal differential is better than ours. meaning having a minus is a very bad thing. He has the worst +/- on his team.

It is early still so maybe some bad luck evens out a little... and Bonino isn't likely to keep on pace for 50 goals. If he hits 25-30 and 50-60 points I will be ecstatic though!

gem from HF:

Canucks fans hate Bonino trade
Ducks fans try to tell Canucks fans that Bonino is amazing
Canucks fans don't buy it, write him off
Kesler scores early in the season, Canucks fans talk about how Ducks fleeced Vancouver
Bonino starts scoring goals
Kesler slows down with "points"
Canucks fans start thinking this Bonino guy is pretty good
Bonino is on a complete tear
Canucks fans talk about how he is amazing, like they knew ALL along
Ducks fans say "I told you sooo......."
OTHER TEAM FANS come in hating on Canucks fans for talking about how amazing Bonino is.
Ducks fans Defend canucks fans, because they love BOTH sides of the deal
Other team fans start to change topic about how canucks are doing, talking about how the canucks will slow down vs cali
Bonino scores again
Canucks beat Cali team
To be continued.

gem from HF:

Canucks fans hate Bonino trade

Ducks fans try to tell Canucks fans that Bonino is amazing

Canucks fans don't buy it, write him off

Kesler scores early in the season, Canucks fans talk about how Ducks fleeced Vancouver

Bonino starts scoring goals

Kesler slows down with "points"

Canucks fans start thinking this Bonino guy is pretty good

Bonino is on a complete tear

Canucks fans talk about how he is amazing, like they knew ALL along

Ducks fans say "I told you sooo......."

OTHER TEAM FANS come in hating on Canucks fans for talking about how amazing Bonino is.

Ducks fans Defend canucks fans, because they love BOTH sides of the deal

Other team fans start to change topic about how canucks are doing, talking about how the canucks will slow down vs cali

Bonino scores again

Canucks beat Cali team

To be continued.

I thought the Canucks fleeced Anaheim from day 1. That was a great trade for both sides.

Archived