The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bonino vrs kesler

Guest Cuporbust2

People on here can disparage Kesler all they want, or be in denial about what he is till thier dying day, but the fact is: Kesler is a star, one of the best in the world at what he does and probably the most complete player that has ever worn a Nux uni.

Pt.s over a 8 game stretch is not a fair comparison.

However, I'm taking nothing away from Bonino, he has come as advertised.

I remember what a friend of mine, Ducks season TX holder, who I go to a lot of games with, told me on the day of the trade (Even though I already knew)

"You guys will love Bonino, he'll bust his a$$ for you, Sbisa you'll want to hang.....and BTW HAHAHAHA!!!!!"

His words not mine.

Personally, I'm happier we got McCann, than Ritchie.

Yup he won that series for Chicago last year

I'm sure you mean a decimated St-Louis squad; an insurmountable situation.

But go on thinking Miller sucks. Go on taking another sh!t on another goaltender's head because that's what you do don't you, he who doesn't even know which team Miller was on.

Kesler is certainly better defensively .. but hopefully Horvat can start to fill that role.

Bonino can make plays and actually use his wingers.. that makes the 2nd line much more useful.

Yeah I'd agree, with Nick the second line could potentially be greater than the sum of its parts because all three guys can set each other up or score themselves. If each guy can put up 35-45 points then that's 105-135 points more, to help the Sedins who can probably put up 80-90 this season, along with Vrbata who can probably hit 65 points, which in sum is a pretty strong top 6, compared with how Kes put up nearly 0.75 p.p.g. himself but could not elevate his teammates to similar levels.

Also, wouldn't mind if the top two lines were more offensively oriented while the bottom 6 included two strong defensive centers, which as a unit could mitigate the impact of losing Ryan's defensive ability. With proper player utilization (a la Vigneault 2011) the team can have both stronger offensive and defensive depth.

Sure people say in the playoffs it's often that one guy who gets it done and for us it was mostly Ryan, but given everything else that happened in the team (signing Vrbata to add scoring and the Sedins' revival, offensive cohesion on that first line overall, Miller to solidify the net, Bones for the 2nd line so far, Vey emerging offensively plus us having four solid defenders) I'd say we're already in a better position as a whole compared to when we had Ryan. Not hating on him but if we have better face-off men in the bottom 6 (like you said with Bo, potentially) the team could actually be better if the 2nd line holds up.

even that series we were swept against san jose Kesler tried to carry that team on his back in games 3 and 4 but the rest of the team was just too heavy that year.

Kesler was a fantastic player for us and will be huge for anaheim this year in the playoffs. That being said considering the corner we were painted into Benning did a pretty good job of getting us a respectable return.

If Sbisa can play like he did against St Louis a lot more and a lot less like he has the rest of the season (wishful thinking probably) we will come out pretty well in that trade just in current players not even factoring in Mccann.

Yeah that was awesome when he threw that huge hit then told the Sharks that there was more of that coming and played like a beast the rest of the game.

Gonna miss stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWxuWkpEJ1I

How often did he do that? The main difference is bonino goes about his game quietly without gaining a lot of attention good or bad and kess is in your face. Kess has more talent for sure but this is one case that I'm ok with getting a less talented player back.

I agree, that has largely been mythologized based on half of one playoff series against Nashville. He did, however, dominate that series and it was the high point of his career

Purely basing their play for what they contribute on the ice, Kesler is better than Bonino.

For their salaries and what they contribute on the ice, it is a toss-up.

The fact we got McCann too, I think we win the trade.

Sbisa could still come around.

people forget how young Sbisa is. He will round out nicely, I'm sure.

I don't care much what Kesler's stats in Anaheim look like. Happy to have said goodbye to the drama and the chip on his shoulder.

Bonino has been the offensive player I think most of us expected to see - he clearly has outstanding hockey sense and vision with the puck on his stick.

What has pleasantly surprised me is how good he is without the puck. I thought he was a competent two way center, but he's started out this season killing penalties - and quite effectively - he's started the season with less than 50 % offensive zone starts, and facing the second strongest relative quality of competition on the team, and he's had positive underlying numbers in that context, with a corsi on of +5.18 and relative corsi of +4.2. People can question whether he is a 2C or not all they want - I think that aside from some struggles in the faceoff circle, we are seeing a very well rounded game out of Bonino, and despite giving up possession off the draw more times than not, he nevertheless has had solid possession numbers all around. I think he and HIggins work very well together - whether or not people consider Higgins 'sexy' enough for their second line.

Was more than happy with Kesler's replacement when the deal was announced, and nothing thus far but confirmation that Bonino is a hell of a hockey player. Not only that, but I think a player with that kind of hockey intelligence is also only bound to get better in this context the more he and his team-mates get to know each other. Can't say that about the dearly departed, whose line relations were beyond stale to say the least.

Guest Cuporbust2

We simply don't have a player on this team that is able to take over a playoff game like Kesler was.

I'm not saying he did it all the time but when he did we was unstoppable.

The closest resemblance we have had was Alex Edler against the Kings when we won in 6.

Clearly nobody has watched Anaheim playoff games when bonino played.

Already has three game winning playoff goals. One overtime playoff winner. One of the most clutch young players they had in the playoffs.

Bonino is a playoff performer. That was one of the fans biggest complaints losing him.

Clearly nobody has watched Anaheim playoff games when bonino played.

Already has three game winning playoff goals. One overtime playoff winner. One of the most clutch young players they had in the playoffs.

Bonino is a playoff performer. That was one of the fans biggest complaints losing him.

Has bonino thrown a hit yet? Serious question.

Archived