The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In House Announcers

cabinessence

Here's one for ya.

Why oh why do TV broadcasts rarely pick up the in house announcers call anymore? I used to be familiar with most of the announcers around the league. Is it something to do with the networks using those precious few seconds for even more product placement? It used to be great hearing Jon Athbridge over the TV or radio broadcast announcing a goal, "...his thiiiiiird of the season, scored on the power play by #....."Or Paul Morris in Toronto announcing anything! There was "The Robot" in Chicago, Mark Lewis in Edmonton, How about the three star selections in Montreal by Claude Mouton.."la troisième étoile, da turd star, BobEE Smit".. we rarely get these either. I would wager Don Taylor would like to have this back.

Here's one for ya.

Why oh why do TV broadcasts rarely pick up the in house announcers call anymore? I used to be familiar with most of the announcers around the league. Is it something to do with the networks using those precious few seconds for even more product placement? It used to be great hearing Jon Athbridge over the TV or radio broadcast announcing a goal, "...his thiiiiiird of the season, scored on the power play by #....."Or Paul Morris in Toronto announcing anything! There was "The Robot" in Chicago, Mark Lewis in Edmonton, How about the three star selections in Montreal by Claude Mouton.."la troisième étoile, da turd star, BobEE Smit".. we rarely get these either. I would wager Don Taylor would like to have this back.

http://youtu.be/2tr_KucLGxA

do you have a lisp?

Back in the day with SD tv, fewrs cameras and replays, the goal announcment was often the first indication not only who had the assists, but often who scored. That's not the case anymore. Also, what if the three stars are sponsored by Molson and the broadcasts have Labatt's?

Back in the day with SD tv, fewrs cameras and replays, the goal announcment was often the first indication not only who had the assists, but often who scored. That's not the case anymore. Also, what if the three stars are sponsored by Molson and the broadcasts have Labatt's?

Good points!

I thought that was kind of a cool thing when the broadcast volume went down and the in house announcement came on the tv or radio. made u feel part of the crowd. Im with the above comments on how announcing with enthusiasm the home teams powerplay is pretty childish and sounds so NBA. I havent been able to watch many games with the sound on this year, is John Ashbridge still sharing the in-house announcements with the other guy. John is one of the most unique voices hockey will ever have. Gives me goosebumps listening to him in bigtime games.

All excellent points. John Ashbridge is sharing the PA chair with Al Murdoch again this season. While I have nothing against Al, there's nothing like hearing Ashbridge coming on the PA for a goal, or at the beginning of the game when the Canucks come out. I still have the intro's from the 2011 playoff run saved, and they still give me chills listening to them over again. Whoever did the production for CBC during those playoffs was absolutely brilliant.

I wish Sportsnet would take some cues from those games that CBC did, because they were very well done.

And yes, that power paly announcement they do in RA now is effing terrible. The teams that need stuff like that already have other gimmicks like cheerleaders (yup, looking at you Dallas). Stop playing that recording and use the time for other useful information... or don't. Silence works too. The crowd is already getting excited about our upcoming power play. You don't need to do anything.

All excellent points. John Ashbridge is sharing the PA chair with Al Murdoch again this season. While I have nothing against Al, there's nothing like hearing Ashbridge coming on the PA for a goal, or at the beginning of the game when the Canucks come out. I still have the intro's from the 2011 playoff run saved, and they still give me chills listening to them over again. Whoever did the production for CBC during those playoffs was absolutely brilliant.

I wish Sportsnet would take some cues from those games that CBC did, because they were very well done.

And yes, that power paly announcement they do in RA now is effing terrible. The teams that need stuff like that already have other gimmicks like cheerleaders (yup, looking at you Dallas). Stop playing that recording and use the time for other useful information... or don't. Silence works too. The crowd is already getting excited about our upcoming power play. You don't need to do anything.

its to get people to look up from their phones.

Archived