The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ron Robinson, The WHL and Abbotsford

So a little birdie told me he was out with RR and throughout the evening the topic of teams in trouble came up.

Two teams in particular, one worse than the other. The Kootenay Ice and Lethbridge.

The Ice will in all likelihood make their way to Abbotsford for next September. It won't be announced until after February.

Details still have to be worked out with Vancouver. Langley's arena is too small. It could be Lethbridge though, but sounds like Kootenay.

Teams will love the 3 team rounder through Abby,Van and Victoria.

Good venue in Abbotsford and they will draw strongly from Mission and Chilliwack.

Before i write this i am just saying that i heard this through a former Abby heat employee and am not saying its true or not. I heard tne giants dont want to continue playing in the pacific coliseum and may be looking for another arena with a cheaper lease agreement and abbotsford may be a option. Dont know what its worth but interesting none the less.

Before i write this i am just saying that i heard this through a former Abby heat employee and am not saying its true or not. I heard tne giants dont want to continue playing in the pacific coliseum and may be looking for another arena with a cheaper lease agreement and abbotsford may be a option. Dont know what its worth but interesting none the less.

Where could the move to? Chillwack? Sounds like posturing to get a better lease.

Where could the move to? Chillwack? Sounds like posturing to get a better lease.

Chilliwack had a strong fan base but their ownership group was on the verge of suing each other to death (Burke et al) and the league forced the move.

They could go back there but the Giants and potential Abbotsford team would have a large say.

I think Abbotsford could do very well in the Dub. I do feel with proper ownership, most teams could do well, including Lethbridge but if I recall correctly, Lethbridge is a community owned team, so maybe a massive overhaul of the front office. Clearly things are going wrong there. Their was chatter about the WHL having interest in Wenatchee,Washington but I personally believe that was just hearsay and likely didn't have much traction if any at all. The only chatter I've heard multiple times is possible franchises in Winnipeg and Nanaimo. Although I'm only familiar with the Abbotsford area briefly, I think it would do well.

If Chilliwack can have a team I don't know why the Giants would have much of a problem with Abbotsford.

And Nanaimo would be great because it would give the Royals an island rival.

It would be nice to get a little collection of teams out here on the coast.

Archived