The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) sabres aquired draft picks and value of players

Failing coach needs a whipping boy.

Lots of CDC paperback writers love to whip Cody for their pleasures.

Nolan in deep early in the season with the worst record in the league.

Hodgson made into a winger for the first time since he was in Bantam and Nolan screaming "You're not producing!"

Last time I checked Cody was receiving 8 minutes of ice time and wasn't playing center because the team has six of them on the active roster-one being the Golden Boy Reinhart ,whom has not produced on the score sheet as hoped.

You see,Ted,it's you that is responsible so stop screaming/threatening Tootsie style and figure out how to use your players properly or you will be the interim coach.

Cody started off with plenty of ice time this season on both the first and second lines as well as the PP and has been played in all 3 forward positions. All that's left is goalie and defence. Right now he's just stinking it up on the ice. I think he will do better soon, but so far he isn't producing.

This has very little to do with coaching. Ted Nolan can only coach these players, he can't play the game for them as well. It looks like half of the players on the ice are there just to pick up a weekly paycheque. Add that to an already underperforming team and you get a team that is primed to fail. It's unfortunate because there are players in Rochester that would love to be promoted to the NHL and would bust their hump once they got there.

You obviously have some Cody lovin' feelings that you have to sort through. Ma Codeee cant be at fault! Hes elite!

Neither team has clearly come out a winner on the Cody/Kass trade, but as of right now the Sabres are paying a heck of a lot more money and term than the Canucks are while trying to find out.

Just curious,Amish,but just whom/what did you check with?

Might want to put Matt Moulson to your hit list. Two assists in 11 games played,-6 and a $6m paycheck is not exactly meeting,never mind exceeding expectations.

2.5 X the minutes Hodgson received tonight and Hodgson is not even playing his natural position while putting up the same points totals.

That's the whole point of the story with the Sabres this year. They've already been shut out 4 times this year. That means that every player on that team is culpable. Even in tonights game, the Sabres had 15 SOG and the game before that it was 10. Enroth and Neuvirth are playing their butts off but they are facing between 30-40 per game. I'm amazed that the Sabres actually have 2 wins.

I know the team is going to lose big this year and I'm hoping that the Sabres win the McEichel sweepstakes, but I'd prefer that they didn't utterly humiliate themselves nearly every night while doing it.

I am cracking up at how bad Hodgson is. I feel vindicated in a way .

I bet Gillis is chuckling a bit wherever he is.

agreed we def won that trade. kasssian might only have 2 points but hes been getting chances and hes not bad defensively plus hes signed cheap for 2 yrs at 1.75 makes me happy plus hes always smiling and looks like the teammates like him not like bieska wanting to punch hodgson in the face haha

this is from yesterday

My bet is Hodgson is in the NHL a decade longer than Nolan.

Players under long term contracts that consistently score 20 goals usually last longer than interim coaches on losing teams.

my bet is on Hodgson getting bought out, getting one more shot with another team and then it's off to star in the Spengler Cup

Failing coach needs a whipping boy.

Lots of CDC paperback writers love to whip Cody for their pleasures.

Nolan in deep early in the season with the worst record in the league.

Hodgson made into a winger for the first time since he was in Bantam and Nolan screaming "You're not producing!"

Last time I checked Cody was receiving 8 minutes of ice time and wasn't playing center because the team has six of them on the active roster-one being the Golden Boy Reinhart ,whom has not produced on the score sheet as hoped.

You see,Ted,it's you that is responsible so stop screaming/threatening Tootsie style and figure out how to use your players properly or you will be the interim coach.

Just curious,Amish,but just whom/what did you check with?

Might want to put Matt Moulson to your hit list. Two assists in 11 games played,-6 and a $6m paycheck is not exactly meeting,never mind exceeding expectations.

2.5 X the minutes Hodgson received tonight and Hodgson is not even playing his natural position while putting up the same points totals.

Who gives a crap about Hodgson? Not sure why you guys like discussing his ice time so much, we all know now he's not as good as we expected him to be.

Seriously. Who gives a crap about him? I was absolutely devasted when the trade happened but it took me about a week to start liking it after seeing Kassians combinations of strength+skill+size+speed as well as the great attitude he brings to the ice every day.

We need to stop discussing Cody Hodgson, guy has not lived up to expectations and deserves to rot in Buffalo for requesting a trade at 21 years old.

Who gives a crap about Hodgson? Not sure why you guys like discussing his ice time so much, we all know now he's not as good as we expected him to be.

Seriously. Who gives a crap about him? I was absolutely devasted when the trade happened but it took me about a week to start liking it after seeing Kassians combinations of strength+skill+size+speed as well as the great attitude he brings to the ice every day.

We need to stop discussing Cody Hodgson, guy has not lived up to expectations and deserves to rot in Buffalo for requesting a trade at 21 years old.

IT"S A SABRES THREAD ON A HOCKEY FORUM FFS!

You need to take your own advice and quit bitching about the subject matter here.

Stop trying to stifle debate and tell other people what to talk about, nobody cares.

This discussion is aimed at the Sabres and people are entitled to express their opinions on present/former players in association with that.

If this is something that some feel should be "moved on" from, the simplest solution is to do so. And let the others resume the discussion....

what do the sabres do in say 3 years, when their 1st round picks start producing, will they have cap trouble in the future paying for this dynasty? good problem to have I guess, but just wondering how teams deal with having talent all peak at a similar time.

what do the sabres do in say 3 years, when their 1st round picks start producing, will they have cap trouble in the future paying for this dynasty? good problem to have I guess, but just wondering how teams deal with having talent all peak at a similar time.

Murray will end up having to decide who to let go and who to keep. Once these player's ELC's are almost up other NHL teams will be waiting in the wings to try and pick up whomever they can. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Vancouver brass will be scouting a good number of them soon, and will be one of the teams offering contracts to the RFA players that don't end up busting a few years from now.

1.Cody started off with plenty of ice time this season on both the first and second lines as well as the PP and has been played in all 3 forward positions. All that's left is goalie and defence. Right now he's just stinking it up on the ice. I think he will do better soon, but so far he isn't producing.

2.This has very little to do with coaching. Ted Nolan can only coach these players, he can't play the game for them as well. It looks like half of the players on the ice are there just to pick up a weekly paycheque. Add that to an already underperforming team and you get a team that is primed to fail.

3.You obviously have some Cody lovin' feelings that you have to sort through. Ma Codeee cant be at fault! Hes elite!

1. The entire team stinks.Management kept six C ice men. Reinhart was finally released so the C position can now strengthen itself out.

2.Losing starts at the top-coach and manager.

3. Hodgson is a former Canuck so he will always be a Canuck. Any disrespect by Canucks 'fans' should never be acceptable.

1. The entire team stinks.Management kept six C ice men. Reinhart was finally released so the C position can now strengthen itself out.

2.Losing starts at the top-coach and manager.

3. Hodgson is a former Canuck so he will always be a Canuck. Any disrespect by Canucks 'fans' should never be acceptable.

1. Agree

2. That's not always the case. In this instance, the GM is purposely tanking the team in order to get McDavid/Eichel. Nolan is pretty angry right now for a couple reasons and as I said before, his reputation is unfairly taking a beating because people like you who don't closely follow the Sabres are jumping to erroneous conclusion. To prove my point, after last night's game only 3 players were willing to stick around after the loss to talk to the media. The rest got dressed and hauled butt out of the locker room as fast as they could. Unfortunately Nolan is going to be the scapegoat and will be fired during or right after the season ends.

3. You are a homer. Me saying that isn't meant as an insult, but saying what you just said proves it. I understand that you will take it as an insult. True fans live and breath their team. The people on this board that believe Hodgson wanted to get out of Vancouver have every right to be angry with him and say so as much as they want to. I have the same issues with Danny Briere and Chris Drury. Cody is on my home team now and is one of my favourite players, but I don't begrudge anybody here their opinions about him.

They'll never become a good team if they keep ruining their good prospects by throwing them into the NHL too soon (Edmonton-style). For example, you don't just force a kid like Draisaitl to play a full season in the NHL. He's supposed to be a two-way center and needs more time to grow. He may play well for a handfull of games but he'll be terrible 5 years down the line when he could have been the next Bergeron/Kopitar.

As for Buffalo, they made the smart move of sending Reinhart back to junior but they need to do more developing. A lot of their young defencemen have been forced to play big minutes and get shot down by NHL forwards time and time again. This is where GMing the way Benning has done pays off. Sign a couple of veteran UFAs who can play for a season or two while the kids develop PROPERLY and suddenly you have a bunch of very talented, well groomed kids ready to play in the NHL who have a bit of AHL experience as well.

Buffalo's prospects are learning on the fly for the most part, but they're developing some pieces very well. Still lacking a true future star goaltender but in today's game they get traded and signed around more than star centers.

They'll never become a good team if they keep ruining their good prospects by throwing them into the NHL too soon (Edmonton-style). For example, you don't just force a kid like Draisaitl to play a full season in the NHL. He's supposed to be a two-way center and needs more time to grow. He may play well for a handfull of games but he'll be terrible 5 years down the line when he could have been the next Bergeron/Kopitar.

As for Buffalo, they made the smart move of sending Reinhart back to junior but they need to do more developing. A lot of their young defencemen have been forced to play big minutes and get shot down by NHL forwards time and time again. This is where GMing the way Benning has done pays off. Sign a couple of veteran UFAs who can play for a season or two while the kids develop PROPERLY and suddenly you have a bunch of very talented, well groomed kids ready to play in the NHL who have a bit of AHL experience as well.

Buffalo's prospects are learning on the fly for the most part, but they're developing some pieces very well. Still lacking a true future star goaltender but in today's game they get traded and signed around more than star centers.

Most of the Sabres' young talent is still in juniors, college, or Rochester. The only player that has gotten hurt by being brought up too soon is Grigorenko. That was Darcy Regier's fault.

People on this board keep forgetting that Tim Murray has only been on the job for less than a year. In this past off-season, Murray fired and demoted most of the front office people from the previous regime. Nolan did the same thing with the old coaching staff. Around town it is well known that Terry Pegula wants McDavid badly. That's why Murray has been given carte blance to tank the team this year. Enroth and Neuvirth are good goalies, but they are most definitely not the goalies of the future for the Sabres. At best, they are stopgaps.

Look at Chicago, you ditch some guys and try and replace them the best you can. They did win a second cup after that too.

Archived