The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Advice From BananaMash Thread

BananaMash

Ha ha! I didn't actually expect serious answers seeing some of the content in this thread but I do thank you both for the advice. I asked my wife and she does want a dog, a young one preferably, like 1-2 years old, we're still fairly young (age ain't nothing but a number, right?) and we're both very active.

OK, if youre very active I recommend a husky or malamute or a mix with those breeds in it.

Im biased because I have two huskies both purebreads.both rescued. ..one female (older) and a male...the female is probably 9 and has rejuvenated as a result of the recently acquired one year old male. And the young guy is taken to school and mellowed out by the older...

Anyways huskys have crazy personality and mannerisms...theyll keep you outdoors and active and provide entertainment.

Your on the island, right Mash? If my family was to move to the island in a few years, where would you recommend?

Keeping in mind things like good schools, safe, easy access to outdoor activities (hiking, biking etc), modern and decent Internet availability.

I'm probably dreaming but I'd like a "utopia" that has a rural/small town feel but modern infrastructure..lol

OK, if youre very active I recommend a husky or malamute or a mix with those breeds in it.

Im biased because I have two huskies both purebreads.both rescued. ..one female (older) and a male...the female is probably 9 and has rejuvenated as a result of the recently acquired one year old male. And the young guy is taken to school and mellowed out by the older...

Anyways huskys have crazy personality and mannerisms...theyll keep you outdoors and active and provide entertainment.

Husks and malamutes are the also the most beautiful dogs available.

They sure are a beautiful dog. I don't think it would be hard to convince my wife! Ha ha! They sound perfect for our lifestyle too. How big do they get? We don't want a huge dog.

They sure are a beautiful dog. I don't think it would be hard to convince my wife! Ha ha! They sound perfect for our lifestyle too. How big do they get? We don't want a huge dog.

Actually both my siberians are pretty small only around 55lb approx....I think the male was the runt judging by his size and how submissive he is to the older female.....both were obviously very neglected early in life which may be why they are on the small side...when I found the female years ago it was in a fairly remote location and she was in a bad way.

Male huskies can get up to the 80-90 range probably max....I havnt seen too many at that size.

Malamutes can get much bigger. Males between 80-120lbs....

Feed them, well all dogs really, raw food and youll eliminate alot of pet health issues.

Anyway good luck if u decide to pick either type up....great dogs....any other questions just ask.

they do get considerably big. id say a bit bigger than a german sheppard if not same size.

That's not too bad. I was thinking too big is along the lines of a Mastiff or St. Bernard, ect.

Actually both my siberians are pretty small only around 55lb approx....I think the male was the runt judging by his size and how submissive he is to the older female.....both were obviously very neglected early in life which may be why they are on the small side...when I found the female years ago it was in a fairly remote location and she was in a bad way.

Male huskies can get up to the 80-90 range probably max....I havnt seen too many at that size.

Malamutes can get much bigger. Males between 80-120lbs....

Feed them, well all dogs really, raw food and youll eliminate alot of pet health issues.

Anyway good luck if u decide to pick either type up....great dogs....any other questions just ask.

Thanks for all the info and tips! Glad to hear your pups found a good home! We went the SPCA today and I think we found one my wife fell in love with!

Your on the island, right Mash? If my family was to move to the island in a few years, where would you recommend?

Keeping in mind things like good schools, safe, easy access to outdoor activities (hiking, biking etc), modern and decent Internet availability.

I'm probably dreaming but I'd like a "utopia" that has a rural/small town feel but modern infrastructure..lol

I gew up in Cobble Hill, excellent area. Cobble Hill proper (not the town at the bottom of it) has excellent biking and hiking trails. "The Quarry" (an abandon, flooded limestone quarry) has lots of great hiking, and swimming in the summer. Though it is private property, there are no issues with the public using it with non-motorized vehicles during daylight hours. The Kinsel Trustle in near by Shawnigan Lake was recently restored and is an excellent hiking location too.

Internet speed was never an issue as far as I can remember. I played Starcraft at a somewhat high level and never had lag issues.

The Schools in the area are excellent. Shawnigan Lake School is a fairly high tier private school if you are into that. Public elementary schools are good, and there are french immersian option in the area. Frances Kesley Secondary, the local high school, is fairly unique. It is a self paced shcool, you don't have due dates, all the work is done on your own initaive. While this doesn't work for everyone, it allows the more motivated or advanced students to get ahead. I loved it: I was very strong in math and struggled in English, the system allowed me to blast through a math course in half a semester and take the extra time to get through English.

I gew up in Cobble Hill, excellent area. Cobble Hill proper (not the town at the bottom of it) has excellent biking and hiking trails. "The Quarry" (an abandon, flooded limestone quarry) has lots of great hiking, and swimming in the summer. Though it is private property, there are no issues with the public using it with non-motorized vehicles during daylight hours. The Kinsel Trustle in near by Shawnigan Lake was recently restored and is an excellent hiking location too.

Internet speed was never an issue as far as I can remember. I played Starcraft at a somewhat high level and never had lag issues.

The Schools in the area are excellent. Shawnigan Lake School is a fairly high tier private school if you are into that. Public elementary schools are good, and there are french immersian option in the area. Frances Kesley Secondary, the local high school, is fairly unique. It is a self paced shcool, you don't have due dates, all the work is done on your own initaive. While this doesn't work for everyone, it allows the more motivated or advanced students to get ahead. I loved it: I was very strong in math and struggled in English, the system allowed me to blast through a math course in half a semester and take the extra time to get through English.

Thanks, I think we're narrowing down to Nanaimo actually though.

Archived