The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian for Hodgson now ?

Guest Cuporbust2

Quit making excuses for him, thats 2 different coaches and GM'S and org's. Yeah it's everybody elses fault for why he is having a tough go at it. I watched the game he played against the Oilers and he did nothing but float and was the most disinterested player on the Sabres. He looks like a shell of his fomer self right now. I guess every coach and GM that doesn't kiss his ass has the Gillis syndrome. Way to go crowbarring your hate for Gillis into what the Sabres are doing with Cody.

Buffalo is tanking as they have a plan to build through implosion.

It is difficult concept for many to grasp when losing is the goal of management.

When Kas learns to skate backwards and figures out he has a responsibility beyond the neutral zone Cody will be back playing a prominent role on some NHL team again.

Gillis was a pretender that was lucky to ever get any gig in NHL management.,never mind his gift to the top.

I feel sorry for his supporters.They now seem such a despondent and sorry lot.

I thought this was an interesting read....

http://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-what-is-wrong-with-cody-hodgson/

As you’d expect, the Sabres current record is reflected in the individual performances of the players. Perhaps best representing this season’s struggles is the play of Cody Hodgson.

hodgson2-239x300.jpg

(Kevin Hoffman-US PRESSWIRE)

Even as the Sabres organisation braced themselves for a challenging 2014-15 campaign, various hockey experts still expected Hodgson to be one of the few shining lights. Unfortunately, this has turned out to be anything but true.

With two points and a plus/minus of -10 through 18 games, the Toronto-born native is on course for one of the worst seasons of his professional career. Hodgson’s lowest return to date is the 2010-11 campaign with the Vancouver Canucks, when he registered just two points.

However, the 24-year old can be excused for that output. Not only was it his debut season in the NHL, but he also only featured in eight games.

Why is Hodgson Playing So Poorly?

The question is; why is Hodgson having such a poor season for the Sabres? Part of the problem lies with the talented wingers head coach, Ted Nolan.

This is in no way a criticism of Nolan, but how much does moving Hodgson back and forth between the wing and centre position actually help? What the Sabres head coach sees as an attempt to galvanise him, may actually be unsettling for the 2008 10th overall draft pick.

Like most people, athletes are creatures of habit. Rather than sparking a player, constantly moving someone around can potentially compromise any attempts to get some consistency from them.

What to Expect Moving Forward

Despite the concerns, it’s not like Hodgson suddenly became a bad player overnight. This is still the same guy capable of scoring 40+ points per season, as evidenced by 78 points in 120 games during the last two campaigns:

The Sabres will obviously be hoping Hodgson returns to form sooner rather than later. They have a lot of money invested, after signing him to a six-year $25.5 million extension ahead of last season.

Personally, I believe the Sabres and their fans are just going to have to accept that Hodgson is likely to struggle for most of this season. No matter how skilled you are, hockey is a team game and you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Excuses. Hodgson has played wing before, so it's nothing new to him. His last world juniors he led the team in points while playing wing. Vey has played center, wing and on the point with the pp this season. At the start of the season Vey said he couldn't even remember the last time he played wing. Yet he's played very well this season. Perhaps the difference is attitude as opposed to situation.

Buffalo is tanking as they have a plan to build through implosion.

It is difficult concept for many to grasp when losing is the goal of management.

When Kas learns to skate backwards and figures out he has a responsibility beyond the neutral zone Cody will be back playing a prominent role on some NHL team again.

Gillis was a pretender that was lucky to ever get any gig in NHL management.,never mind his gift to the top.

I feel sorry for his supporters.They now seem such a despondent and sorry lot.

1 - I'd take Kassian's defensive play over Hodgson's any day. Kassian career -17 with 54 points, Hodgson career -38 with 138 points.

2 - Wasn't Gillis the guy that drafted Hodgson? Maybe you're right about him being an idiot.

3 - Are you suggesting Hodgson has quit trying because he's on a bad team with better centers than himself? That suggests a piss poor attitude as the reason he's on the fourth line.

Sure there is.

Awful defense.

Miller gone.

Moulson MIA.

Ennis taking the first line role.Girgensons taking the 2c position.

Reinhart taking considerable ice time in his nine game showing.

With Nolan using everybody but Hodgson at center ice it was a braincell induction session that told Nolan that Hodgson should become a winger and that Stafford,Mc Cormick and Mitchell are more talented up the middle.

Buffalo needs to trade some center ice men and yet they are plagued with Gillis syndrome,namely a GM that can't trade to save his tanking efforts and hopes.

Nolan is holding the bag for a GM that is fully prepared to keep losing.

Girgensons is the top centre on the Sabres right now. Ennis has been moved to the wing. With the lineup constantly in flux, who knows how long that will last. I think that Nolan has those 3 together in the hopes that the Sabres will at least one productive line.

Kassian is not that good and evidently three coaches don't think he's got much more than what he's shown us.

Evidently? lol

What's this evidence you talk about? Seriously, if you're talking about where he's put in the line up, that has nothing to do with how much more a coach thinks a player will show us in the future.

Evidently? lol

What's this evidence you talk about? Seriously, if you're talking about where he's put in the line up, that has nothing to do with how much more a coach thinks a player will show us in the future.

It kind of does. If he's got more to show then you generally don't stick him in the same spot all season long and go "show us more", do ya? Generally the more you play the better you become. The fact he's still dwelling in the same spot in the line up suggests he's not improving much if at all. Again, 3 expert opinions have all concluded this.

It kind of does. If he's got more to show then you generally don't stick him in the same spot all season long and go "show us more", do ya? Generally the more you play the better you become. The fact he's still dwelling in the same spot in the line up suggests he's not improving much if at all. Again, 3 expert opinions have all concluded this.

You have to keep in mind Kassian is only 23 years old. The coaches are not going to rush him into the 2nd or 1st line. Why break up what's going on with the Sedins and Vrbata? Why break up Bonino's line which has been on fire as of late? It doesn't make sense for Kassian to be on those lines at the moment. It doesn't mean the coach thinks that's all that's in the tank for him. He's developing and the coach is letting him develop without any extra weight on the kid's shoulders.

As for Torts, I don't think his "expert" opinion really helped the team all that much considering how last year panned out.

You have to keep in mind Kassian is only 23 years old.

This excuse is starting to dry up. He is extremely inconsistent. He doesn't know what he is. He has no identity. Is he a physical power guy? Or is he a big finesse guy?

The trade that rocked the foundation of CDC is going to turn out to be nothing.

I love Kassian, he is far more suited for the west but he isn't going to be an elite NHL power forward like people suggest. He will be a very serviceable bottom 6 guy that can move up the lineup when needed.

I would love to see him take the next level, just don't expect it.

Well I think we can't really compare since Hodgson's playing for a team that's not really comparable to our team...Teammates are obviously a big help to us seeing how well an individual can do too.

???

These guys both play in the same league. It's called the NHL.

Hodgson has been given WAY MORE OPPORTUNITIES since the trade with 1st line minutes &1st line PP minutes (which is HUGE) consistently last year & the beginning of this year as well, & hasn't done any better than Kassian who hasn't had a sniff of anything YET except the bottom 6.

Kassian will always be worth more as he brings MORE to the table & has potential to be a regular top 6 & PP guy in the future as well as potential to be a REAL FORCE in the PLAYOFFS where it really counts. eg. Bickell, Byfuglien type.

Take that over a 1 dimensional Cody with no physical play whatsoever & a MINUS Player (liability) any day.

I really think Kassian's offensive abilities are as good or better than Cody's PLUS Kassian can bring a lot more to the table as well. Different type of offensive players but Kassian's style will be more effective with the right line mates with his Size & hands.

I thought this was an interesting read....

http://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-what-is-wrong-with-cody-hodgson/

As you’d expect, the Sabres current record is reflected in the individual performances of the players. Perhaps best representing this season’s struggles is the play of Cody Hodgson.

hodgson2-239x300.jpg

(Kevin Hoffman-US PRESSWIRE)

Even as the Sabres organisation braced themselves for a challenging 2014-15 campaign, various hockey experts still expected Hodgson to be one of the few shining lights. Unfortunately, this has turned out to be anything but true.

With two points and a plus/minus of -10 through 18 games, the Toronto-born native is on course for one of the worst seasons of his professional career. Hodgson’s lowest return to date is the 2010-11 campaign with the Vancouver Canucks, when he registered just two points.

However, the 24-year old can be excused for that output. Not only was it his debut season in the NHL, but he also only featured in eight games.

Why is Hodgson Playing So Poorly?

The question is; why is Hodgson having such a poor season for the Sabres? Part of the problem lies with the talented wingers head coach, Ted Nolan.

This is in no way a criticism of Nolan, but how much does moving Hodgson back and forth between the wing and centre position actually help? What the Sabres head coach sees as an attempt to galvanise him, may actually be unsettling for the 2008 10th overall draft pick.

Like most people, athletes are creatures of habit. Rather than sparking a player, constantly moving someone around can potentially compromise any attempts to get some consistency from them.

What to Expect Moving Forward

Despite the concerns, it’s not like Hodgson suddenly became a bad player overnight. This is still the same guy capable of scoring 40+ points per season, as evidenced by 78 points in 120 games during the last two campaigns:

The Sabres will obviously be hoping Hodgson returns to form sooner rather than later. They have a lot of money invested, after signing him to a six-year $25.5 million extension ahead of last season.

Personally, I believe the Sabres and their fans are just going to have to accept that Hodgson is likely to struggle for most of this season. No matter how skilled you are, hockey is a team game and you are only as strong as your weakest link.

He got 40 points playing on the #1 line avg. over 16:00 min a game last season as well as #1 POWER PLAY TIME.

Really, those stats aren't impressive at all especially when it goes with a MINUS -26 on that season & another MINUS -10 in 18 games this season along with his BIG 2 pts.

Give Kassian #1 line with 16:00 min a night & #1 PP time & I guarantee you he can put up 50+ points with his eyes closed. He got 30 last year with BOTTOM 6 min. and NO PP. Easily would double that if on #1 line & #1 PP.

If hodgson were playing with the canucks now hogson probably will do more damage than kassian

Damage in the MINUS department. That's for sure. Oh yah damage in the effort level & his big ego that DOESN"T work in the NHL. This ain't junior hockey.

He's damaging himself right out of the NHL. ::D

for those suggesting Hodgson is simply giving up honestly i don't blame him that organization is a joke has no intention on building a team instead they intend on winning the lottery which yes will give them a great player but i hope it bites them in the rear this is exactly why the lottery needs to be changed to punish teams who have no interest in actually competing Buffalo has been in tank mode since last year

I agree...the Hodgson/Kassian debate lost relevance quite a while ago due to any number of factors. Someday the results will dictate a winner in the deal, I guess, but we're clearly nowhere near that point yet.

Well than I guess you can call me the crystal ball.

+++Kassian+++

---Cody---

"1 - I'd take Kassian's defensive play over Hodgson's any day. Kassian career -17 with 54 points, Hodgson career -38 with 138 points.'

If it was just about these stats I'd take CoHo as he has lots more than double the points with just over double the minus.

however it is not just about those stats.

Archived