The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Uber Coming to Vancouver? Will you use it?

DonLever

Uber and Lyft are great. Much cheaper than a cab. Easy to use. All transactions are handled on your account. There are some shortcomings but nothing to make it worse than using a cab. Cabs are awful. We used Uber and Lyft (in LA) all weekend to get around instead of needing a DD or someone drinking and driving. Excellent solution to that problem.

I'll never use it but anything that takes business away for our horrible taxi industry is alright in my mind.

I recently forgot my phone in a Pacific Cab and didn't get it back, even after calling them within a couple minutes, so I'm not a big fan these days. but beside that happening, I find the service to be alright. I usually only ever use them from Cloverdale to King George Station, maybe thats the reason.

I've never taken a cab in DT Vancouver.

VICTORIA – The B.C. government will dispatch undercover inspectors to fine Uber drivers if the ride-sharing service launches without proper licences, says the transportation minister.

Todd Stone said Monday he has directed extra enforcement officers to be on the ready if Uber launches in Vancouver - as has been rumoured - without obtaining proper approvals and licensing that regulates the rest of the taxi industry.

Uber links people looking for a ride with nearby available drivers using a smartphone app. The service operates in more than 200 cities worldwide, and has proven a threat to existing taxi services because its drivers are often unlicensed and provide cheaper fares than traditional taxis.

“I believe that through heightened enforcement and heightened awareness we can get the message out to British Columbians that you must be licensed by the passenger transportation branch,” said Stone.

“It is not good enough to simply voluntarily stand up and say we believe we provide a safe service. If Uber believes it meets certain safety requirements then they should have no fear of sitting down with the passenger transportation branch and going through the same process that every other taxi and limousine company has to follow.”

Stone said he has directed the passenger transportation branch and commercial vehicle safety enforcement branch to prepare a “full force” response to Uber with “dozens of undercover enforcement officers.”

“We are going to ensure as we pay very close attention to Uber that if we actually begin to receive reports that they are operating in any community in British Columbia we will have enforcement officers from CVSE and the passenger transportation branch that will descend upon those communities in question and in an undercover manner they will use the app and ensure that driver are properly licensed. And if they are not licensed they will be fined.”

Under the current law, an unlicensed taxi driver faces fines ranging from $1,150 to $5,000. Stone said an unlicensed taxi driver is also not covered by the Insurance Corporation of B.C. in the case of a crash.

NDP leader John Horgan said the opposition will propose legislation Monday to increase the fines, in an attempt to protect the existing B.C. taxi industry.

Stone said he’s not sure new legislation is required to address the problems presented by Uber. Instead, he said he’s started a new discussion with the taxi industry on the current fine levels and whether any other taxi-related provincial requirements should be changed.

Uber has not confirmed when, or even if, it plans to launch in Vancouver. It had briefly operated in the city in 2012 before leaving over a dispute on licences and fees.

In a statement Monday, Uber shot back at critics.

"It is unfortunate that the local taxi lobby is so intent on spreading misinformation regarding Uber's record. Here are the facts: in every city in which we operate, our background check standards and insurance coverage meet or exceed what is required of taxis. For example, in Toronto, Uber candidates are screened over their lifetime for potential DUI, traffic or sex offenses, whereas local taxis companies are only required to screen going back five years. Similarly, Uber insures every ride end-to-end with our best-in-class $5 million insurance policy, whereas Toronto taxis are only required to carry $2 million in liability insurance."

The company did not elaborate on its plans or deadlines to launch Uber in Vancouver, other than to say “we know that residents of the Vancouver area are clamoring for the safe and sensible transportation choices that Uber already provides in over 220 cities around the world."

"In countless cities, Uber has worked with policymakers to craft a regulatory framework that recognizes the benefits of ridesharing for drivers, riders and the community at large. We look forward to doing the same in Vancouver."

rshaw@vancouversun.com

ICBC no cover ... if anything happened, you could be up the creek!

Exactly.. and the likelihood of that happening is high! You're basically trusting an amature driver to take you places.

I dont know about Vancouver or the lower mainland, but here on the Island the transit system works just fine.

If this is true, why didn't Uber just do this in the first place rather than just try to setup shop under the radar?

Their effort to setup by skirting the laws makes me leary of their business practices.

I am all for competition but they need to follow the rules like everyone else.

I like that Uber keeps on insisting they are not a taxi service so should not be required to follow the regulations that taxi companies have to follow. Splitting hairs. That type of message is the wrong one to send to municipalities that you are trying to work out a deal with.

The problem in Vancouver is there are not enough Taxis on the streets. In New York you just walk out on any semi busy street and theres a dozen to choose from. Here its next to impossible. Its not the cab companies fault. The city wont give out new licences so each company cant have more cabs then they have licences for on the road.

Archived