The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11 year old hockey prodigy - from Japan

avelanch

Yea, this really doesn't mean much. Nice to see an international kid have skills like that but it's because all the other players are pylons thus making him look better.

I really think this is getting notoriety just because he's from Japan. I mean, I honestly see kids with that skill here all the time and it's no big deal plus it's better competition. This really is comparing apples to oranges and although I'm proud for the kid and the Japanese coverage, I just don't buy this lol.

Yea, this really doesn't mean much. Nice to see an international kid have skills like that but it's because all the other players are pylons thus making him look better.

I really think this is getting notoriety just because he's from Japan. I mean, I honestly see kids with that skill here all the time and it's no big deal plus it's better competition. This really is comparing apples to oranges and although I'm proud for the kid and the Japanese coverage, I just don't buy this lol.

Agreed.. This is just a bias thread. I am sure we could find potential stars in China or anywhere else in Asia.

Damn kid looks amazing...or maybe its because his skill level is >>> over all the other kids he's stuck playing. It would be interesting if they could get him to comeover to NA for a short exchange and see how he fares playing with/against kids developing in hockey locally.

Most of the kids he's playing against can either hardly skate or aren't trying. There's more to hockey than being able to dangle, there are thousands of kids across Canada, the USA, and Europe who can make the same moves. He clearly has some good fundamentals and slick hands, but it's impossible to make a judgment on his overall effectiveness until he plays against some elite competition.

Most of the kids he's playing against can either hardly skate or aren't trying. There's more to hockey than being able to dangle, there are thousands of kids across Canada, the USA, and Europe who can make the same moves. He clearly has some good fundamentals and slick hands, but it's impossible to make a judgment on his overall effectiveness until he plays against some elite competition.

What impresses me, though, is what he can do while his contemporaries can hardly skate. Other than his amazing skills, I can see already that he thinks the game at an incredibly high pace and can constantly adjust his game.

He's 11 at that size? How big is he? And it didnt look like he was playing against very skilled players. One good open ice hit when he's a bit older and it'll even things out a bit. He's got crazy skills but nothing that cant be kept in check in a good league with decent players.

The Japanese aren't ever going to be known for towering over people.

He's 11 at that size? How big is he? And it didnt look like he was playing against very skilled players. One good open ice hit when he's a bit older and it'll even things out a bit. He's got crazy skills but nothing that cant be kept in check in a good league with decent players.

Like i said I want to see him in the Quebec International Pewee tournament they have every year or something similar like the Brick tournament in Alberta. Those are both legit competitions for young and up and coming players and a place where future NHLers have played.

He should move to Canada and get more exposure to see if his skills are legit. I"m sure if he is good enough with the help of his agent a private club like BWC or NSWC will give him a chance to play with some of the best in his age group.

Archived