The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should leashed dogs be allowed on transit?

Chalky

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/skytrain-and-bus-dog-policy-challenged-by-transit-user-1.2827162

TransLink could be reviewing its pet policy to determine whether Metro Vancouver will join regions like Calgary, Toronto and Seattle in allowing leashed dogs on transit.

I love dogs with a passion, but I'm not entirely convinced all pet owners are capable of being responsible. If it happens, I certainly won't complain, but there better be enforcement on cleaning up after them...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/skytrain-and-bus-dog-policy-challenged-by-transit-user-1.2827162

I love dogs with a passion, but I'm not entirely convinced all pet owners are capable of being responsible. If it happens, I certainly won't complain, but there better be enforcement on cleaning up after them...

That would be my concern too. What's the current rationale against it? Is it the poop/pee or allergies?

Service animals, obviously, but otherwise, I wouldn't want it here.

Too many dumb owners, allergies, people either pissing the dog off, or potential for attacks, again, because of dumb owners.

Basically.. the stupid people, and that often times during commute times in urban areas they'd be competing with humans for sitting or standing room spots on the bus or train (C-Train here).

Don't like the idea.

And don't forget the potential for dog fights. It can be too closed in on a bus or even Skytrain to have a couple dogs going at it. Makes it more unsafe for other passengers.

With other's concerns above, I don't think it's a great idea. I know my dog would flip out being that close to other unknown dogs. But, she is part jack russell terrorist.

Hell no. I like dogs, but no.

People may be scared/allergic.

Potential for dogs to get aggressive with other dogs or people.

May stink up/dirty the buses. People will put them on the seats no doubt.

Many buses are already packed to capacity, last thing we need are dogs filling up more space than a human if large enough, and dont want any of them getting trampled over.

Owners may be idiots.

That would be my concern too. What's the current rationale against it? Is it the poop/pee or allergies?

I don't think allergies factor in at all, given I have never been hassled for bringing my cat in it's carrier on the bus when taking her to the vet. I'm thinking it's the poo/pee thing.

EDIT: Granted I have not had to bus with my cat for years.

Isn't that already an enforced law? Cleaning up after your animal that is.

I don't live in Canada but at least it is here. Not cleaning up after your pet usually results in fines starting at $300.

Though It may not really be a huge issue. Most dogs don't just pee and poop in random places they likely would have already done it outside in the grass or on an object. Kind of like how most dogs don't just do it all over cars.

I don't think allergies factor in at all, given I have never been hassled for bringing my cat in it's carrier on the bus when taking her to the vet. I'm thinking it's the poo/pee thing.

EDIT: Granted I have not had to bus with my cat for years.

That's fair. I took a ferry in the UK that had a little doggy section (with their owners). Even the most well behaved dogs sometimes control when they've got to go. It would be more than a little unpleasant to have a puddle of dog pee during rush hour on the 99, that's for sure.

Isn't that already an enforced law? Cleaning up after your animal that is.

I don't live in Canada but at least it is here. Not cleaning up after your pet usually results in fines starting at $300.

Though It may not really be a huge issue. Most dogs don't just pee and poop in random places they likely would have already done it outside in the grass or on an object. Kind of like how most dogs don't just do it all over cars.

There is a bylaw but it's not very well enforced. I have to dodge turds on the grass all the time, and I walk my pups 3 times a day and come back with a full bag every time. I'm proud to say I have never left a turd behind. I don't even know what the fine is here.

I absolutely love dogs but this is just asking for trouble. Too many idiots use transit, and worrying about whether the dog is tame, whether the owner is responsible enough to handle it, and whether any jerk off's might try playing with it is not something I want to have to think about on a daily commute.

There is a bylaw but it's not very well enforced. I have to dodge turds on the grass all the time, and I walk my pups 3 times a day and come back with a full bag every time. I'm proud to say I have never left a turd behind. I don't even know what the fine is here.

Just looked it up: 250-10,000.

http://former.vancouver.ca/bylaws/9150c.PDF

transit smells bad enough most of the time. Add wet dogs on there, no thanks. The there will be the entitled owners who say little fluffy deserves a seat as well. Then there are the dogs that will piss and crap on it. I'd like to think they will clean up gbut there will always e the ones that don't.

Lets not forget that Translink will be involved in all this.

Archived