The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you, your Dad or Uncle or Sister or Mother still play Hockey? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

I invite you to tell a little bit about you or a family members hockey career

Myself, I play in the 55+ division........we are older than dirt and the oldest of our dirt in our league is 74 years old....which is amasing if you saw him play! Haha....my wife just reminded me....if you want to see slow, come out and watch us.........doesn't feel that way though!

Our 45 to 55+ leagues are full of ex-juniors and ex-pro's.......great hockey with even the odd fist fight thrown in.............

I have read on here, players mention thet have just finished major junior, and they add great perspective of what is real in todays hockey.

Tell us what you did, or what your mother or brother did as a hockey player...who was your uncle that made you want to play hockey......

We will look forward to the stories and where you have played ........

For me, I had no one in my family that played hockey, but the first time I seen Bobby Orr, I was a hooked!,,,,,,,Haven't stopped playing since!

Love to hear from you!...........these reasons and memories are why we are fans of the game, and why we are Canuck fans! This connects us together!

Still playing in my second half century too. Hockey was just what you did when I was growing up in Canada (ice in the winter, street in the summer, floor all year). My brothers all played, my Dad coached. Once in the blood it stays there. I'm in Australia now and still try to play as much as I can here.

My Dad was a really special hockey player. Played with and against guys like Mark Messier, Lindy Ruff, the Sutters, etc. Not only did he play with those guys but he was equal to them or in some cases even better. Honestly he should have made the NHL. The reason he didn't is due to injuries. He got injured so much in Junior that he just couldn't make it. Even to this day he's pretty messed up from his Junior career. It's actually one of the main reasons as to why I decided to never play Junior.

Just felt like sharing. I'm pretty damn proud of how good of a hockey player my Dad was.

My Dad was a really special hockey player. Played with and against guys like Mark Messier, Lindy Ruff, the Sutters, etc. Not only did he play with those guys but he was equal to them or in some cases even better. Honestly he should have made the NHL. The reason he didn't is due to injuries. He got injured so much in Junior that he just couldn't make it. Even to this day he's pretty messed up from his Junior career. It's actually one of the main reasons as to why I decided to never play Junior.

Just felt like sharing. I'm pretty damn proud of how good of a hockey player my Dad was.

Sucks your Dad was ravaged by injuries but it's a damn special thing to have played on equal terms with NHL greats. Good on him and awesome that you have him as a father.

I wish I had taken to hockey earlier in life, I have the frame and was always an excellent skater but for some reason it always hurt my feet when I skated so I dropped it.

Well, I most recently played (Consistently) at the Culver ice center 12-1 pick up.

Impressive athletic credentials, I know.

Basically, you show up with full gear, pay a small fee and away you go, the game goes for 1 hour and it usually isn't too hard to get your shifts in,

There is exactly the same thing here in Burbank at Pickwick Ice center, 1/2 a mile from where I live. I just need to get my lazy a$$ down there.

Contrary to polar belief there are a lot of people playing hockey in socal.

Junior was pretty brutal back in the day, from what I hear. Not for the weak of heart.

Hockey has always been a big part of my family's life, my father played, my grandfather played, most of my cousins, brother and of course me. My father was regarded as the biggest talent in Gothenburg along side Mikael Andersson( who played in the NHL for many years) when he was playing. But due to his fathers death when he was 16 he lost focus on his hockey and eventually quit when he was 18, which he says to be one of his biggest regrets in life.

I started playing hockey when I was four years old on the same team as my one year older brother, which my father eventually started coaching. So he was always a big part in me and my brothers hockey "careers". When I was ten i became a goalie, after both our goalies couldn't play for us during a tournament. And that went better than expected to say the least as I had never even worn goalie equipment earlier. We ended up with the silver medal in that tournament and from that day and forward I was a goalie until I quit at the age of 17 due to lack of interest in putting full effort into my hockey. Now i just look back at my hockey days and miss them badly. When I think of my days at the rink it gives me a wide smile on my face and I will always regard my hockey days as my favourite childhood memory.

I'm the first in my family to play any kind of sport. My family grew up with the notion that girls and women shouldn't be playing sports so it was highly discouraged by everyone other than my dad.

He liked sports as a kid but never had the opportunity to play much because his family was poor and he had to work to support himself. He saw that hockey was my passion early on and encouraged me to pursue it even if no one else wanted me to.

It took a long time for my family to embrace my love of sports, and who I am as a result of that love. For a long time they hoped it was something I'd grow out of. Only since the rise of our women's hockey team have they begun to appreciate what sports can do for an individual and for society

i play air hockey once a week at chq, at metrotown, with one of my buddies once i a week. we usually get lit up and go raise hell and annoy that lurch dude, who's worked there for years. one time i was brave enough to set my bag on the floor-- that's a big thing for me because chq is full of nerds who play that flippy dancy game and nerds on the race car games

oh, i used to be on a floor hockey team when i was in like grade 3 or something. i remember i got pulled out of a playoff game for swearing at this fat girl in my class. i coulda been something

in all honesty I have played two games this side of Y2K...once in Israel wearing a Team Canada sweater...but it was just the Canadian Peacekeepers with the UN having some fun...got a nice applause from the crowd though...and then in a beer league here in BC as an emergency goaltender for a game I would rather forget, lol.

Junior was pretty brutal back in the day, from what I hear. Not for the weak of heart.

I played a bit of Junior, back in the late 70's. I remember the opening day of camp, the two guys who were trying out to be the team tough guy decided there was no point in waiting around and started chucking the knuckles right there in the dressing room....

As you say, not for the weak of heart.

I stayed with the team for a short time, but then was offered a job that would not allow me to travel with the team, It was tough to let go of the dream, but I knew that even cracking a Major Junior lineup was going to be tough, so I took the job.

I'm still playing and will be 54 in January. We don't have an over 50 (or 55) division here, so I still go up against "the kids", who must be at least 35. We do however, have an over 50 division for tournaments. I play in a few of those every year, the next one coming in in Terrace right around my 54th birthday.

I grew up playing with and against Getzlaf until he made the hitman. Outdoor rink with Eberle and Kunitz. Adult safe against Theo Fluery when I was living in Calgary.

I was invited to play for the Pat Canadians (step below the Pats) when I was 14 (minimum age), but my parents couldn't afford it.

I'm still playing adult safe at 28, but I'm not sure for for much longer as I've had both my knees operated on, right shoulder and soon my s5/t1 disc being removed soon...

Oh and my great great grandfather won a Stanley Cup back in 1902.

Still play ice and inline, usually 2nd or 3rd division. Used to play top div. I still have the hands but at 30+ I don't the legs nor the lungs to keep up with the young guys like I used to. Recently started playing with my younger brother who is in his early 20's so it's the first time I've had a chance to play hockey with him competitively. He's been much needed young blood on our team of old vets.

I'll probably start dropping down a few divs as the years go on but I want to keep playing as long as I have the free time (no kids, yet). I've been lucky that I've never had a serious injury, and my knees and back feel pretty good, even when the schedule sees us playing 3 games in a span of 6 days.

I played hockey all the way until my first year junior then I blew my knee out in Blazers training camp. I played two years playing major midget for the Caribou Cougars and one year as the back up for the Kamloops Blazers. Played with some fairly good players, Brett Connolly and Brett Bulmer were both drafted in the first two rounds and were on my team. Still keep in touch with both those guys too.

Today I still play hockey, not a tendy anymore though. Just a yucky fourth liner in beer league.

My family grew up on the best street in town. The family across the street had one heck of a back yard rink with indoor heated dressing rooms. I didn't start playing organized hockey until Peewee's. We played in 6 straight provincial championships and never brought home the big prize. Today I help coach my sons novice team. I also run a beer-rec league which consists of payers aged 17-55. I love it. It gets a little heated out there because we have no refs and everyone wants to make a call. I also lace em up with the Old Timers once a week too

Archived