The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

The Ottawa Sun and Hockey Feed are saying the Canucks want to unload Shawn Matthias and get a forward back...not much info.but here is the story for what its worth.....

The Monday morning rumor roundup.
Category NHL news, Videos
NHL-Hockey-Feed-727x364.jpg

Here’s the latest on rumors from around the NHL:

Pittsburgh Penguins: Oddly enough TSN insiders have reported that the Penguins are looking to acquire a top six winger to compliment their offense. This comes as somewhat of a surprise as the Penguins appear to have the best offense in the league early in the season. (TSN)

Vancouver Canucks: It appears that the Canucks are looking to trade away Center Shawn Matthias, the asking price is another forward in return.(Ottawa Sun)

San Jose Sharks: The Sharks are looking to make a deal that sends Tyler Kennedy who is in the final year of his $2.35 million per season deal. (Ottawa Sun)

Philadelphia Flyers: Trade rumors are swirling in Philadelphia, with the loss of Michael Raffl for six weeks as well as Luke Schenn for at least two weeks, Ron Hextall is looking to acquire a blue liner to fill the obvious hole it creates on defense. However despite rumors all season that Braden Schenn and even Sean Couturier were moveable pieces, it now appears that Hextall’s asking price for either of those two talents is much higher than just a journeyman defenseman.(Philadelphia Daily News)

Ottawa Senators: The Senators have too many forwards, therefore it’s easy to understand why Erik Condra and Colin Greening are names that have come up repeatedly in trade talks. The two players have been healthy scratches multiple times this season, no word on what Ottawa’s asking price is. (Ottawa Sun)

There are multiple teams looking to acquire NHL defenseman, the long list includes the Flames, Avalanche, Sharks, Jets, Stars, Oilers and the Red Wings.

Many teams have made calls to Ryan Whitney however Whitney says he’s happy in the KHL, at least for the time being and doesn’t foresee an immediate return to the NHL. Whitney has been linked in talks with the Flyers, but that now seems unlikely as the Flyers have picked up Carlo Colaiacovo, and the Rangers, that also seems unlikely with the Rangers trying out former Montreal Canadian and current KHL player Tomas Kaberle.

Rumors have continued to swirl around Alexander Semin and not just trade rumors, while his name has been linked with the Penguins recently, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet is reporting that Semin may be looking to “retire” to the KHL much like Ilya Kovalchuk did.

Ya, Spector had that yesterday. Most likely to make room for Horvat. Montreal put Bourque on waivers so I dont see much of a market for Matthias. HIS stock has equally fallen. Easy to say teams such as Buf, Car, Etc...could all use him but wouldnt be surprised if Benning also puts him on waivers just to clear his 1.75 cap hit

If the asking price is another forward back, it doesn't sound like they are making room for anyone.

I really like Matthias's game in the last 8-9 games - last night in OT where he tried to take it to the net, got foiled, turned back and sent to his knees, then got right back up and circled around to take it to the net again, I haven't seen a Canuck do that in ages. That determination was nice to see from a big guy like Matthias, and I think he's really started using his size to make things happen out there. So did Kassian before the injury, and these two were fun to watch every time they were out there. I'm hoping Benning tries to sign him to a deal before the deadline. If it doesn't work out, then trade him.

We do have some young players coming up next season - Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Cassels, Horvat (if not this year - we'll see). I think McCann will need another year, but all the above have a chance.

If the asking price is another forward back, it doesn't sound like they are making room for anyone.

I really like Matthias's game in the last 8-9 games - last night in OT where he tried to take it to the net, got foiled, turned back and sent to his knees, then got right back up and circled around to take it to the net again, I haven't seen a Canuck do that in ages. That determination was nice to see from a big guy like Matthias, and I think he's really started using his size to make things happen out there. So did Kassian before the injury, and these two were fun to watch every time they were out there. I'm hoping Benning tries to sign him to a deal before the deadline. If it doesn't work out, then trade him.

We do have some young players coming up next season - Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Cassels, Horvat (if not this year - we'll see). I think McCann will need another year, but all the above have a chance.

consider that rumour out of Ottawa Sun and Bruce Garrioch. That guy gets all of his "suggested" and "for what its worth" rumours printed. That guy throws more spaghetti at the walls than Eklund. Nowhete does he quote Benning for "wanting a forward in return".

The future is Horvat and he is proving he belongs and hasnt shown to be a liability. He is avg 58% on faceoffs, ya all are ES and none on special teams but he is still winning them. Somebody definitely has to go to make room for him.

hard working and best player are not the same thing. If we can get anything for him, and make room for Horvat, I'm happy.

I'm not sure this is the year we need to make room for a player that doesn't quite seem reliable at the NHL level. Not saying we need to send Horvat down but I wouldn't sacrifice our depth for him

Archived